Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for October - 2015 Volkswagen GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Volkswagen
imageFuel Economy Update for October - 2015 Volkswagen GTI Long-Term Road Test

It's been with us less than a month, but we've got a fuel economy update for our brand-new 2015 Volkswagen GTI.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Typical turbo. In terms of mileage, they tend to do bad in the hands of Edmunds editors.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    I want one of these so bad... One day.
  • veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    7driver said:

Typical turbo. In terms of mileage, they tend to do bad in the hands of Edmunds editors.

Yep, stay out of the boost if you want good FE numbers from this car. I saw as high as 35mpg from my 07 GLI, but that was only once and I was being excessively careful about it. Normally it was around the 25-27mpg range, which is pretty good if you think about how quick these cars are.
  • reubenclamzoreubenclamzo Member Posts: 1
    They also only just got the car, so we'll see how it does on a highway stint.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599

7driver said:

pretty good if you think about how quick these cars are.
    This is kind of half true. If you drive these cars slowly you can get great mileage. But if you drive them quick, you don't. The nice thing about small cars with small turbos is that it's like having 2 engines. You can accelerate slowly and get great efficiency. When you want to you can accelerate quickly but your mileage will suffer...alot. Nothing is free and chemistry and physics still apply. You're getting all that power out of a smaller engine but you're burning fuel like a larger engine.