Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Soggy Moto Track Day - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Ram
imageSoggy Moto Track Day - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds used its long-term 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel pickup to haul two motorcycles to a track day at Buttonwillow. Rain slowed the bikes, but not the truck.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited November 2014
    Nice report Mike. My only problem with the Ram 1500 is that the payload rating is lower than most if not all the so-called full-size 1/2-tons. As I recall it's only 1400 pounds. I wish they offered a 2000 pound payload package. Other 1/2-ton competitors have payloads in that range. Heck, Ford even offers a 3000+ payload option in the F-150.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    @rsholland: Surprisingly, 1/2 ton is only 1000 lbs, so I'd say the Ram's 1400-lb payload is OK.

Ram is hitting a very sweet spot in the market. If you really want more truck, get the Magnum or Cummins engines, or some other truck brand.
    If I was truck shopping, I don't think I'd look further than this.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    rsholland said:

Nice report Mike. My only problem with the Ram 1500 is that the payload rating is lower than most if not all the so-called full-size 1/2-tons. As I recall it's only 1400 pounds. I wish they offered a 2000 pound payload package. Other 1/2-ton competitors have payloads in that range. Heck, Ford even offers a 3000+ payload option in the F-150.

The EcoDiesel's max payload rating is 1,610 pounds. The down side of that smooth riding coil suspension is that it can't carry as much weight as leaf springs. For example an F 150's max payload is 3,100 pounds. Ram had to offer an air suspension because when this generation was introduced with the independent coil springs the slightest weight in the box would cause serious rear squat.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Not sure how much those 2 motorcycles weigh, but I'm surprised to the back of the truck sagging in the back in the first picture.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

Not sure how much those 2 motorcycles weigh, but I'm surprised to the back of the truck sagging in the back in the first picture.

The air suspension lowers the truck when parked and ignition off.

• Options
    edited November 2014

rsholland said:

The EcoDiesel's max payload rating is 1,610 pounds. The down side of that smooth riding coil suspension is that it can't carry as much weight as leaf springs. For example an F 150's max payload is 3,100 pounds. Ram had to offer an air suspension because when this generation was introduced with the independent coil springs the slightest weight in the box would cause serious rear squat.
    A 1,610 payload is not that impressive. Most other competing gas trucks have trucks have payload ratings in the 1,800-2,200 pound range.

Not true about the coil rear springs vs. leaf rear springs. The new Ram 2500 also has rear coil springs and can be had with a 10K GVW and a max 3,970 payload.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    gslippy said:

@rsholland: Surprisingly, 1/2 ton is only 1000 lbs, so I'd say the Ram's 1400-lb payload is OK.

Ram is hitting a very sweet spot in the market. If you really want more truck, get the Magnum or Cummins engines, or some other truck brand.
    If I was truck shopping, I don't think I'd look further than this.

Okay, let's remove the ancient and out of date "1/2-ton" label. Call it entry-level weight class for full-size pickups, or whatever term you prefer.

Sweet spot or not, it should match or exceed the other weight-class competition (F-150, etc.) in terms of payload.
  • Options

The wet weight of the two bikes is roughly 900 pounds.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    900lbs shouldn't bend the back down that much.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tblackerby4tblackerby4 Member Posts: 1
    This is a 1500. You want a ton of power and towing power, get a Heavy Duty with a cummins. I have not driven the Ram Ecodiesel, but do own the '14 grand Cherokee with the 3.0 and it is flat amazing. Have pulled a 16ft utility trailer and the 420 ft lbs of torque is perfect. I know that this engine will be just as great in the ram. It will handle just as well or better than other half ton trucks. If you are looking to pull a large camper or gooseneck, then this isn't for you. But if u need to pull a boat or utility trailer, then test drive this truck, it should make you smile.