Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Help a noob? I have check engine light on with codes P0491 and P0492. Where do I go from here?

awabawab Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in Audi
Hello everyone,

I just bought this car recently and it is the first car I have. It is a 2001 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2L V8. It has been such a pleasant experience driving this car for the last month and a half. 2 weeks ago, the check engine light turned on. It turned on immediately after I refueled the car so I expected it to be related to the gas tank cap. However, its been more than 2 weeks and it is still on. So I checked the code and they were P0491 and P0492.

I live in Eugene, Oregon and don't know many people or mechanics. What should I expect in terms of price fix for this problem? Is it a serious problem? What should I do? I just scheduled an appointment with Firestone to go over the engine light. Is that a good idea? Please I am just learning about all this so all suggestions and information will be very helpful to me.

One more thing, the car recently started making a weird noise especially when I start driving, then it goes away. I am not sure how to describe it but it is just a normal engine noise but louder and sounds like it comes from an air canal. I appreciate all your help, thanks!

Awab