Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Construction trucks only- -

RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
We are considering a purchase of a new 99 F-650
with the 7.3 International V-8. We might look at
the work-series from Mack with the CAT engine. We
just bought another roofing firm and we need
positive input.
This subject is for anyone who actually works
their truck. That includes half-tons to
stake-bodies. I'm tired of debating with posers
that only wax and shine their trucks on the
week-end. Most of these guys can tell you who has
the best lighter but I want more. I want input and
debate from guys and gals who WORK their trucks.
Then, the true debate can begin.
\ Debate engines and heavy-duty trucks please!!!
Roc
Tagged:

Comments

• RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    I don't want some clown like Dave40 to tell me that his Chevy is "cool" looking. Give me work stories and real answers. I want guys that work their vehicles---not showcase them.
  • 26andrew126andrew1 Member Posts: 93
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaa for Rocles finaly a real truck person.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..sounds like Roc has a major Complex for nice trucks..instead of beat up piles!

- Tim
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    I just added a Dodge work Truck to the TRUCK FORCE check it out

http://community.webtv.net/dp2000/TRUCKFORCEACTION
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    Looks like you are getting some expert advise. Oh Boy!
    General Motors announced it will debut an all-new direct-injection, common rail diesel engine in the 2001 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra heavy-duty full-size pickup trucks. The engine, designed by Isuzu Motors Ltd., will be manufactured by DMAX Ltd., the GM and Isuzu joint venture in Moraine, Ohio.
    "The new DURAMAX 6600 will be one of the most advanced heavy-duty diesel engines on the market," said Arvin F. Mueller, vice president and group executive of GM Powertrain. "We will offer customers an engine with outstanding horsepower and torque in a very quiet and fuel-efficient package. This refined and durable engine will be a natural addition to the already impressive portfolio of V8 engine choices in two of the best trucks in the industry."
    The new DURAMAX 6600 is a 6.6-liter, 4-valves-per-cylinder, turbocharged, direct-injection engine equipped with precision-controlled common-rail fuel-injection. The common-rail injection system will provide improvements in power, torque, fuel economy and quiet operation. The engine which will be optional in the Sierra and Silverado 2500 and 3500 series models.
    Isuzu introduced the world's first direct-injection diesel engine for light-duty trucks in 1984. GM's relationship with Isuzu began in 1971 and was strengthened in 1997 when GM announced that Isuzu would develop diesel engines for GM. In 1998, GM raised its equity share in Isuzu to 49 percent and announced the DMAX joint venture in Moraine.
    Source: General Motors
    July 8, 1999
    www.dieselnet.co
    Was that your truck in the pictures? If so, nice but....has the bed ever seen a shingle bundle or top soil? How about an air compressor? Tools? Trash? Anything other than air??
    Back to the real subject: Our old 85 F-350 crapped out yesterday with 216k miles and we won't rebuild her for a third time. Considering another one-ton to replace her but we need a crew cab with a diesel--any suggestions? Ford or Dodge?
    Tim,
    I don't have a problem with shiny, pretty-boy trucks but I need real input from guys who actually work their vehicles. I don't care who has the nicest paint-job or fastest engine. My hobby is motorcycling so I don't need that "excitement" in my work vehicles. I own a roofing firm that has been very successful and currently have a fleet over 30 trucks varying from half-tons to dump trucks. I am the original truck owner before it was "cool" to have one.
    Roc,

I hear ya...

Just take into consideration that not all people are in the construction biz...but still might want a truck!

I use a Cube Van for work and know what you mean...it has crap all over the cab and in back....looks like hell...but it gets worked!...it's how it has to be!

Just respect the fact that not all trucks have to be a construction truck. I like to sit high up and also need cargo space for deer/Rocks/Dirt/etc...so I get a truck!..(also get used to sitting high at work...and a car after just don't cut it!)

Can we get along?
    I'll buy you a beer!~

- Tim
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Tundra man here. Remember me? I would like to point out that even though you and I disagree about our choice of trucks, it appears we both have a common desire to place deer in the beds of them. I figured there had to be something right about you! I hope you have a GREAT hunting season this fall. Enjoy your Silverado(Monday is the big day, right?). Todd

P.S. BTW, I am in this topic because I own a development/construction company and thought the posts would be interesting(not trying to spread my Tundra "pollution").

Thanks for the good luck....I got 3 last year all in Rifle season (only time I go)...hoping to get more this year!...They have unlimited doe in my area....By the time you get all the Italian/Brat/Hot Sticks/sausage/smoked quarters..etc..made...you have nothing left for Cuts!....Gotta love spending $350 in processing on those "FREE" deer!

Maybe you are all right after all??....just gotta get you out of that Compact!

- Tim
    Tim,
    I want a Miller lite. LOL. You probably have figured out that I'm a bitter truck guy witnessing many people not even using their trucks three times a year. Yes, they have every right to spend their money they seem fit but I'm from a more practical sense of school.
    Every time I'm reading a serious post of a problem with a certain truck, some clown responds next with a picture of his pretty truck. That kills me. I've had so many problems with my Chevys and I have learned a bit from why they have these problems. That's the great thing of this site.
    Does anyone have any expierence with Isuzu or mitshubishi work trucks? I ran across a mailing advertising some good prices for a stake body and I'm curious. We have an old Ford that i wouldn't mind replacing.
    Isuzu and GM are supposed to have some new Diesel some day?...Sure you want to affiliate yourself with GM??

I understand where you are coming from...In My area..TONS of white collar and yuppies buy up SUV's and pickups...and I'll bet most of 'em use 4WD only in the Snow a few times...once in the entire time they own it...they may go down a two-track with 4WD on and say they went off roading.

Call my truck pretty if you must..(if will be nice looking)..Sorry I'm not a roofing contractor by day. But I use my truck way more than the type of person I described above. For every day commuting..it usually is empty..but weekends and trips...it gets used. (check out the under side of my current Silverado..Lots of grass/mud/crap caked on the skid plates and front end) Bed liner is scratched to hell..(must have had over 100 lbs?)(is that possible??)

yes you are bitter boss!!...You need more beer!!

Some people like their trucks...well...um..Clean and nice looking..after all..When you pay $30K for it...why not?...if I paid 17K....maybe I'd have a different opinion? I sit high all day in my work truck...so I like my personal vehicle to be high as well. Besides...I hate asking to borrow a truck when I need one!..

So please please please..master Roc of the "Trucks are for work only committee"..can i buy my new one Monday??...I promise it will haul something someday!!.....I don't know if I could ever possibly haul a huge load like 100 lbs. for you..but I'm gonna try!!

..My beer is empty....I gotta go

- Tim
    Roc,

We gotta find out where all your anger is coming from??..what do we give a hoot what someone else buys?...

If it don't get used..who cares?...Are all these people using your money to buy their trucks or what?

Sit down with a Keg of Miller and we can figure this out...course after several Millers...i don't know about you...but I don't think I'm gonna care about anything!..LOL!!

- Tim
    Ford is working on a New Truck engine that runs on human waste
    they call it a DUMP TRUCK !
  • richram123richram123 Member Posts: 35
    Rocles,

I have a 98 Ram4x4 auto, Club Cab with the 5.9 360V8. I often use it for heavy loads and the truck handles and pulls great. I had over 1000lbs of stone recently and could barely feel it. I also tow a small boat and it accellerates great, even up hills. I would reccommend the Ram3500 stakebody if it has enough payload for your roofing needs. Get the diesel.
    The ride height on Chevies are too low, even with a 3500 4wd. Any work truck will crush rocker panels in a chevy.

Rich
    Rich,

Forgot about the height of the Chevy--good observation. Ram 3500 is a possibility but only with the Cummins. I've had too many problems with Dodge's gas jobs in our recent trucks. Not anything major but I hate headaches!! Are all Ram 3500 duellys now?? I haven't seen a single wheel in a while.

Tim,
    When you work with a tool you tend to understand different aspects of each one. Ask any tradesman of other types of tools. Why do I prefer Bosch over Campbell Hausfeld? Milwaukee over DeWalt? Plumb over Estwing over Stanely over Vaughn????
    I don't buy these things for "looks". Not because of a "sleeker" design. I'm bitter for just that-I'm a bitter guy. It's also the reason why I post here. If I was content with Dave40 pics of poser-mobile and discussions with individuals who put a potted plant in the back every six months then I wouldn't be here posting.
    You should only be so lucky. ;)
    Besides, I add variety!
    Tim,
    If there wasn't bitter people-happy people wouldn't realize how good it is to be happy.
    BTW, I have a personal truck and its clean occasionally.
    Roc
    Why do you think we have been posting so damn much to each other?...must have some kind of common ground here. I don't sit back in life as so many others who read and never post. Obviously you don't either. I commend you for that. Your life will be better when you speak up.

- Tim
    Roc.....why is dave40 a Posermobile?.....that's what he wants...he works and pays for it..what do we care what he does with it?...If he wants yellow polka dots all over it....what do we care?...where is the anger coming from boss?....Are you jealous that yours is not as nice or you have no desire to have a nice truck?.....you are losing me bud!
    I understand the tool thing....but keep in mind two people can use the same tool and have two different opinions.....weather they may be good or bad?

I think more beer is the solution here....gotta be!
    Does anybody want to talk about construction trucks here?.....get back on focus..
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 36
    Its not that we are bitter, just annoyed.

It is certinaly his right to like his trucks based on looks. I don't want a truck to be a babe magnet. (though that is a nice addition) I want a truck to work. My turck won't look as nice as dave40's do because I don't care what it looks like, I can what it does.

There is the difference. We are trying to have a discussion about work trucks, and someone keeps bring up looks. No truck will look nice though after I get through with it, scrapping both fenders on trees (one on each side of the trail) will do a pretty paint job in. It doesn't matter if you stack half a cord of wood into the back, or throw 1/3 a cord, your bed will become dented.

I have no doubt that dave40's truck looks nicer then mine. He probably orders then from the factory with nicer paint than any of us. We consider that nice paint a waste of money because we know it will be ruined soon. There is nothing wrong with his paint job, but when we try to discuss hauling capacity because we are worryed about exceeding that limit it adds nothing to the discussion to find out which brand looks better.
    kcram,
    Thanks for the info--I thought I was right until one of my guys claimed that they had a single wheel.

Tim,
    Read post #23 from bluegil--I couldn't say it any better. Personally, dave40's truck is nice but when a discussion continues--he interjects with: " Looky looky!!!My truck is perrty!" Who cares?
    Analogy: Guy walks up to me because his skin is smoother on his hands than mine. Hmm, mine may be worn and calloused-over but its stronger and tougher. It enables me to work harder and still doesn't interfere with typing here either! ;)
    BTW, we need posers like dave40, it keeps me ticking.

Back to the subject: Well, single wheel is an advantage for Ford or the dreaded Chevy. Duellys and roofers don't get along. Those guys never seem to realize how wide they are.

The anger must come from the heat and lack of rain?
    You know what takes care of heat..don't you?

Hint - beer

- Tim
  • sakosako Member Posts: 25
    I'M NOT TALKIN' BOUT THE CHICK AT THE END OF THE BAR HERE BOYS, BUT THE LOAD OF CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS I HAD IN MY DODGE QC 24V CUMMINS TODAY. VERIFIED AT THE DUMP SCALE TO BOOT. ROCLES-THIS THING RAN JUST LIKE THERE WAS NOTHING IN THE BED-YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK ONE OF THESE RIGS OUT. I'M A GENERAL CONTRACTOR AND EVEN THOUGH THIS TRUCK IS NEW IT WILL GET USED EVERYDAY. SO FAR I LOVE IT. I'LL KEEP YA'LL POSTED IF SOMETHING OF INTEREST IS WORTH POSTING. SAKO
    FORGOT TO TELL YOU IT IS A 2500 (3/4 TON) LONGBED 'N IT HOLD A LOT A BEER & DEER. SAKO
    well,

Even though it's a Dodge...if it hold a lot of beer and deer..it's gotta be OK!!

LOL

- Tim
    Sako,
    I'm glad you use your truck brother.

Tim,
    Look to Sako and me as your guidance: beer,deer,and plenty of gear in our trucks! ;)

PS:Where the hell is my Miller??!?
    Roc,

What guidance do i need?

Although I only have 1 - 1/2 BBl of Atwater Dunkel beer on tap right now..Usually have 3 1/4's..see below..

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/4jack.jpg

So i got the plenty of beer part...got 3 deer last year all in Rifle...and will be loaded with plenty of gear soon.

Maybe you should follow me?..hehehee

I got your miller....right here!..Tastes good too...or is it less filling??

If you are in the area ever..I'll buy ya one at the pub.

- Tim
    Tim,
    How can you get three deer? Here in Delaware and Pennslyvania, one doe and one buck. Shotgun only in DE. Thank God I have a cabin in Fulton county PA!
    Tim,
    Atwater Dunkel? Never heard of it. Any comparisons?
    ROC
    Here in a selected zone they have a small TB problem in some dear...so they wanted to get rid of as many Doe as possible. you could shoot one Doe per day..all season..every day. So i got My buck and 2 more mamas to go with it!

Atwater Block Brewery is a local Detroit brewery. Their beers are all German style (Krausen) and are mmm mmmm good. The dunkel is almost pure black...but unlike most dark beers that taste like mud...this baby is smooooooth! A great taste with just enough bite! Even Bud drinkers like it. I Like Killian's/MGD/Honey Brown...and it's to my liking! About 1/2 of the 1/2 BBL left boss....better hurry on over. Only Bummer is that a 1/2 BBL is $116.60!....But worth every penny!
    rather pay about $1.45 for a 25 ouncer than $4.25 at the local pub!....now I got Tim's Pub!

take a tour!

http://www.phd.msu.edu/bice/beer/cybertour4_atwater/tour1.html

Every man should try this beer!

- Tim
    Roc,

I love draft beer and hate emptys laying around. hate taking them back too. So beer on tap at home seemed like the only answer. Now i got another problem....Empty kegs sitting around!....Kinda silly when I get too lazy to take kegs back!

If Miller Lite is your favorite beer....Dunkel is gonna be a super stretch for ya.

My typical emptys...

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/emptys.jpg

...I'm glad we are talking about Construction trucks here!..LOL!!!

- Tim
    Tim,

Dunkel sounds like a good beer. Problem with roofers though is that we require a light diet on a hot roof. Beer and construction workers--Damn! I can't get away from my stereotype!!!!!
    What caliber rifle do you hunt with? I assume Michigan has some good open areas to hunt.
    Where is this topic going? HEY!!!! I need a strong one-tonner and what are my best bets for hauling crap and crew for a hot tar job? I might actually go with a Dodge this time. The other two gambles have proved their worth to me so I have softened my stand against Dodge. Problem is that I might be able to get a deal from the Ford dealer because I'm also looking for a stake body and could get a good deal on two trucks. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, I'm leaning towards a diesel.
    Where is rich at this topic discussing real trucks? Richie!!!!!!!
    Roc,

A DODGE!!...what is wrong with you? Haven't you read a word I've typed! I guess a Cummins is about the ONLY Dodge engine worth having...if you MUST have a Dodge.

There are some open areas...but most hunters here need nothing more than a 30-30....but the most popular by farr is the .30-06 and .308. Hunting season comes around and they have those two rounds of ammo stacked up by what seems like the pallet at the bigger stores! I use the .30-06 due to the larger bullets that can handle more brush and stay on track if need be. 80% of the hunters here are over-equipped. There are a lot of .270's also. Even some .338 mags. Whatever brings the deer down I guess. Unless ya shoot the neck...those monster loads are gonna rip the meat to shreds! I go for the necks...puppy goes straight down. Or sometimes I just Gut shoot them for Sport and practice my tracking skills!!..LOL!!!

Where HAS this topic gone?....Who started this topic anyway Roc?..hehe

- Tim
  • jasonpeterclarjasonpeterclar Member Posts: 30
    Can't believe how far some of these stupid tangents go. This is a truck board!!

I've owned a SRW F350 with a rack/dump and plow set up. Truck is great for fitting into small loading docks and standard parking spaces. The single rear wheel also give better penetration /traction in deep snow and you aren't running over the snowbank with the second wheel all the time. The ride is probably a little smoother that the DRW et up, but with one-tonners it's hard to notice.

One very bad thing with SRW. If you blow a tire, and you eventually will with 10,000+ lbs on board, it's a real [non-permissible content removed] trying to jack up the truck to change the tires. With the DRW set up, you just keep driving, finish the job, empty the truck and get a new tire.
    ..somebody must have no fun in life...
    Jason,
    Good call about SRW. My dilema are my employees. They can't keep a duelly in the lane. Whether its riding over a clients bush or hitting a mailbox they just aren't used to the width of a two-rearwheeler.

Tim,
    .338 mags are overkill for a deer. Hell, even I use a 8mm,(close to 30-06) and I get crap from my dad. Mr 30-30. Ever hunt in PA? Bring that dunkel beer to Fulton county and you can stay at my cabin for free. Just leave that damn Chevy by the summit!
    I know a .338 is overkill. I used to use an 8mm..so I know how it shoots. Some guys even use more than .338! There are all kinds of nuts. Bring the dunkel without the chevy? How am i supposed to get it there? Isn't a keg too much load for a Ford?..hehehehe
    Once you get up into the sticks here....seems everybody drinks Busch and Busch light....Yikes! They are not bad on tap (as every camp has) but no way in a can! Once the night gets going...it doesn't really matter. We ran out and me and a buddy went to town and got a 1/2 of Labatts. We were sick of Busch...so we told them Busch was all out....so we got this. They moaned for 5 minutes...then sucked it dry in a few days. I think it's all a mental thing for them?

How about construction trucks!.....heehhee

- Tim
    constuction trucks? Oh yeah, the topic I started!!!!!LOL!
    Bring the beer in the Chevy, but leave the truck at foot of the hill. We'll send in the Ford to pick it up. ;)
    Well....with all the deer I'm gonna shoot...No Ford will haul out that many deer!

Better bring the Bowtie.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Buying a Diesel, I'd get the Dodge QuadCab Cummins with the manual.

Buying the Gas, I'd get the Ford F350 SD with the V10.

Hunting a little ol Deer, a 95 gr hand loaded Nosler outta a .243 is plenty if you can shoot......
    If you can shoot....you are killing me boss...

.308 M24 Sniper Rifle is my favorite. 10 shot group with a hot barrel at 100 yds....cover it with a quarter. No Lie.

I love the .308....But choose .30-06 for deep brush hunting. 95 grains is going to be all over in the thick stuff. Good load for open fields.

When we all going deer hunting?

Glad we have a topic to discuss this..hehehehee

- Tim
    what happened to 48 and 49 of this topic?

Post police must have got them!

When we all getting together for a bash?

Who is central and has some land so we can all park and camp out?....maybe some woods near by for wheeling?
    I POSTED LAST NITE BUT I DON'T REMEMBER IF IT WAS 48 OR 49, BUT IT AIN'T HERE TODAY. BASICALLY, I SAID HIT 'EM IN THE LUNG/HEART AREA & BIG OR SMALL THEY GONNA DIE WITH NO MEAT DAMAGE-HIT 'EM ELSEWHERE 'N IT DON'T MATTER WHAT YA USE YOU'RE GONNA GET SOME DAMAGE. YA SHOOT 'EM WITH WHAT YA GOT 'N WORRY ABOUT THE REST LATER. WELL I LIVE IN SODOM & GOMORRA, CALIFORNIA (S.F.) CRAZY PLACE FOR A COUNTRY BOY, BUT THERE'S WORK HERE SO THAT'S THAT, KINDA NOT TO CENTRAL IF'N MY GEOGRAPHY IS STILL CORRECT, SO IF YOU BEER SWILLIN', DEER HUNTIN', 4 WHEELIN' AND WORK TRUCK TOPIC(HAD TO SAY THAT SINCE THAT'S THE TOPIC OF RECORD)FOLK DO GET TOGETHER YOU'LL HAVE TO FILL ME IN, VIA THE INTERNUT, WHILE I WALLER IN SELF PITY WITH NOT BEING ABLE TO JOIN THE BEER GUZZLIN & OTHER FESTIVITIES. ANYWAY I LOVE MY 3/4 TON QC CUMMINS 4X4 DODGE FOR WORK--HAD IT LOADED AGAIN. USIN' & ABUSIN' THAT'S WHAT A TRUCK IS FOR. OH YEA MARKBUCK GOOD COMBO FOR DEER ESPECIALLY THE BLACKTAIL HERE IN CA.-I ALSO USE A 270 & 300 MAG 'N HAVE SHOT ANTELOPE' ELK & DEER WITH MY 338 MAG ALL WITH NOSLERS. AIM STRAIGHT-GOES FOR DA BEER TOO.
    Tim,
    You sure it wasn't a Susan B. Anthony dollar?
    Roc,

Could be....they are the same size!..hehehe

Honestly....my buddy shoots 1000 yd. matches every year and we also shoot 600 at my buddy's place. it's a blast! Gives a whole new meaning to Reach out and touch someone!
This discussion has been closed.