Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Tiny Gear Indicator - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in MINI
imageTiny Gear Indicator - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Those statistical wizards at Edmunds have determined that the manual gear indictor in the 2014 Mini Cooper is one of the smallest on the market.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    That's excellent - I thought the ergonomics were supposed to be so improved with this redesign.

The glare on the gauge crystals is a nice touch, too.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I agree Mike. It's way too small; plus it should be located in the tach, not the speedo.
  • Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Maybe it's not that small but the speedometer is huge.
  • Options
    bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    You could have avoided this "problem" by specifying a manual transmission. Just sayin' ;)
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    edited November 2014
    I'm glad it has an indicator at all, but I have the manual transmission. I never really thought about it, in terms of size. The clarity of the supervisory cluster is excellent, so I have no trouble seeing it at all. I've never had a glare issue off of the cluster, in real life. I think it's just the photography here.

It's a pity that you guys didn't get the heads-up display in your Cooper though. It would've made a nice contrast for you to compare it with the Mazda3's. Hint: it's SO much better than the Mazda3's.

I rarely look at my actual speedometer, or the tach for that matter. My speed is in the HUD, and that's what I refer to. Experienced manual drivers don't really need to use the tach, but I *DO* look at the shift indicator frequently. On rare occasions, you need confirmation of which gear you're in, and/or confirmation that you ARE in reverse, and not 1st. Also, it gives shift recommendations; such as, "4->6." It's useful.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Nonissue issue. In a daily driver the owner would quickly adapt and be able to find and read the gear position easily.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    A wider photo of the IP might give a better idea of the size of the indicator relative to the entire instrument cluster. But it does seem like a common trend that many manufacturers are giving their cars small gear indicators. VW/Audi have been putting it on either the top or bottom edge of the trip computer screen for awhile. I like layouts like on my dad's 2007 Tundra and my 2009 Civic where there are different positions listed individually (P,R,N,D,D3, etc.) and the selected gear is indicated by a light. It might not be the most attractive layout, but it's easy to read at a glance.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The average non enthusiast driver probably never uses manual mode.
  • Options
    corrodesdafilmcorrodesdafilm Member Posts: 1
    I guess Mini has done away with any pretense of sportiness in this new model seeing as that tach looks like a tiny afterthought.