Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Starting problems - '03 Envoy

blakberi20blakberi20 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in GMC
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy. The problem that I am having is that when I drive a small distance and get out to go in the store for about 10 minutes, I come back out to start my car and it hesitates to start. I have to try at least 4 to 5 times before it will start while constantly hitting the gas pedal for it it start. Then when I finally get it to start I have to rev up the engine to make sure it stays started. It seems like it's not getting gas.
Can someone please tell me what they think the problem is because no one can seem to tell me after taking it to multiple shops?

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    This should be very repeatable as described and typically you are either losing spark, or have an incorrect fuel mixture. I hesitate to do this because silver bullets can be very misleading but locate the fuel pressure regulator. You'll notice there is a hose that connects to the air intake plenum. Remove that hose from the regulator, and inspect for liquid fuel in the hose. Then have an assistant turn the key to run position and watch to see if fuel leaks from the regulator nipple that the hose was on. If you saw fuel with either of these checks, then you have a possible cause for the symptom. If not, go ahead and now start the engine and watch for a leak. There should not be fuel leaking from the regulator nipple. If there is then just as the other two checks would have shown the regulator is bad.

The rest of the testing that needs to take place has to do with ensuring that the fuel system achieves the correct pressure on start-up, and maintains pressure once you stop cranking the engine. At the same time the tech needs to make sure that inputs to the computer are correct and accurate. (IAT, CTS, crank and camshaft sensor signals)