Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Styling Gets Better Over Time - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Porsche
imageStyling Gets Better Over Time - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Porsche Macan S represents Porsche's third attempt at styling a crossover SUV, and it's arguably the most successful because of the rear three-quarters angle alone.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    Just got to the 1000 mile mark and I love my car. I optioned it for style and it really shows how hard the designers worked to create an aggressive and appealing design.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    They also clearly decided not to put a priority on cargo space. It's definitely more hatch than SUV back there. The rear end looks great but that's in part to the steep slope of the rear glass. While the Macan has good cargo space at floor level, once you get to the height of the top of the seatbacks, there really isn't a lot of length to the cargo area. I remember when the BMW X3 came out, much was made about how it addressed the cargo limitations of the X5 and actually had more cargo volume the X5 at the time. Porsche did not have this same objective with the Macan.
  • Options
    joepatchjoepatch Member Posts: 8
    I agree, Erin. The Macan has modern design elements that the Cayenne (and most other SUVs) lack. The rear tail lights, the sloping roof line, the clam-shell hood, head lights and front end grill--not to mention the lack of any hard angles on the entire body--offer a much more resolved, modern exterior look than the Cayenne. The interior also has a sleek, jet cockpit quality about it-- from the pan roof and cabin light buttons clustered on the ceiling, to the numerous single function buttons on the main console, to the aluminum trim outlining the different areas of the dashboard, the layout has a mid-20th century modern look about it but is 21st century functional.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Erin, I have to disagree with you. I think the Macan and Cayenne are 2 of the worst designed vehicles in Porsche's line up. The Macan is slightly better looking but that's not saying much. Posrche needs to realize only the 911 NEEDS to look like a 911.
  • Options
    juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    throwback said:

Erin, I have to disagree with you. I think the Macan and Cayenne are 2 of the worst designed vehicles in Porsche's line up. The Macan is slightly better looking but that's not saying much. Posrche needs to realize only the 911 NEEDS to look like a 911.

Yeah but then there's no consistent design language. It wouldn't be a Porsche if it didn't have some visual cues that nod to the heritage.
  • Options
    arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    legacygt said:

They also clearly decided not to put a priority on cargo space. It's definitely more hatch than SUV back there. The rear end looks great but that's in part to the steep slope of the rear glass. While the Macan has good cargo space at floor level, once you get to the height of the top of the seatbacks, there really isn't a lot of length to the cargo area. I remember when the BMW X3 came out, much was made about how it addressed the cargo limitations of the X5 and actually had more cargo volume the X5 at the time. Porsche did not have this same objective with the Macan.

It's a Porsche- if you're looking for practicality, maybe you should see if you can find something that fits your needs better at your local Honda dealer.
  • Options
    jchen368jchen368 Member Posts: 10
    Had the car for 3 months, and I LOVE it (after owning BMWs and Mercedes). I picked the Macan over the Cayenne and other SUVs (S4, QX50, X3/X5, MDX, RX430) because of the fresh styling, smaller SUV size, and extra horsepower. It was just a great blend of everything.

On the flip side, it has its limitation. Because you have more horsepower, you don't get great gas mileage (I get an average of 20 mpg, but this is not my daily driver to work - more for weekend drives to Napa). Because of the smaller size and styling, it's cargo height is not great (like legacygt mentioned). For example, I was trying to move a dining set recently from a friends house and couldn't everything in at once. However, I bought the car for fun weekend drives, not as a daily driver to work or to help people move all the time, so I can live with the limitations!