Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Alero Brakes Problem

anniedono9anniedono9 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Oldsmobile
Just took my 2000 Alero for 15,000 mile check up.
I told them that braking at high speed caused the car to shimmy.
I had to replace the brakes and was told the rotors
were warp and needed turning.
Is this normal? I think I should at least get 30,000 out of a set of brakes.

Comments

• pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Yes, the rotors need to be turned. The brakes should still be fine - the dealer will do this for free. There is a TSB out about this; GM put crappy rotors in all '99 and '00 Grand Ams and Aleros.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    They are suppose to replace the rotors with improved versions.

Don't accept having the existing rotors turned. They will just warp again.
  • anniedono9anniedono9 Member Posts: 2
    What's a TSB and where can I get the one your are talking about.
    I had a long talk with the service manager today with just an "I'm sorry but GM does not warrenty brakes etc....
    Thanks
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    in the Alero sedan section. Sorry I don't remember it.
  • ctalericoctalerico Member Posts: 23
    I had to have my rotors replaced at just over 12,000 miles. At first they said that it wasn't covered under the warranty. Then I mentioned this website and all the problems people have had with the rotors. They then seemed to remember that the rotors are defective for the 2000 Alero's. They told me that the couldn't cover the cost unless I called the GM number. I did and they paid for it.
  • alero2000alero2000 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

My Alero2000 also has the same brake problem. Once the dealer resurfaced it for free.
    But last week (I have 1 more month under warranty), another dealer refused to resurface it under warranty saying it is a maintenance issue!

Now that I read the above info, I'll try to get it replaced.

The TSB # is TSB 00-05-23-002

Thanks for the info.
  • alero2000alero2000 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

The GM warranty center is not willing to replace my rotors though I mention about the TSB and this board.

Could someone give the names/phone numbers of some dealers who did replace the rotors?

Does the TSB explicitly admit that the part was defective and that the rotors need to be replaced?

Thanks!
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    don't put the factory rotors back on, get larger thickness cast aftermarket rotors from somebody reputable like bendix or raybestos put on. sounds like they shaved an extra buck-fifty out of building that car model that will end up costing you hundreds and hundreds of dollars because the rotors are undersized. might as well spend it up front and not have to worry about it ever again in that case, IMHO.
  • burnemaburnema Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Alero that I bought brand new off of the show room floor. I was proud to drive this car. It still is a fun car to drive. But, the brake problem is driving me towards trade in. I have 50,000 miles. 90% is highway miles. I first took the car in for the rotor issue at 8,600 miles. Then last Sept., I had the rotors replaced again at 28,000 miles. Today, once again, the car is at the dealership. The service advisory is preparing me, I think, to tell me that they will not warranty the rotors this time, due to the mileage. I can't believe that they can claim that it is normal for rotors to warp. I have never had to replace rotors on any other vehicle that I have owned. I hope that more people out there will join in the GM fight to prevent this injustice from happening any longer. I may not win my fight, but I hope that by making noise, it will help someone else down the road.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    they can shave a couple pounds off the rotors by making them out of beer cans, cut a buck off the cost to build the car, and it probably lets 'em get the CAFE up a hundredth of a mile per gallon per car.

if you have warping rotors, and you find on boards like edmunds that others with your car have warping rotors, jeez, put on oversized US-made rotors from one of the top makers and get out of the failure rut.

every design team has its own quirky tricks to try and get the product out the door cheaper. if it's the same parts in the same place, don't support those guys at the parts counter.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    If the vehicle is under warranty, they have to cover it. If it is out of warranty, then it is your dime.
    Front Disc Brake Pulsation (New Rotor Run-Out Specification and Correction Method) #00-05-23-002A

Front Disc Brake Pulsation (New Rotor Run-Out Specification and Correction Method)
    1997-2002 Chevrolet Malibu
    1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass
    1999-2002 Oldsmobile Alero
    1999-2002 Pontiac Grand Am

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-05-23-002 (Section 5 -- Brakes).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a pulsation condition felt in the brake pedal and/or steering wheel during a brake apply. In some cases, it may be noted that the pulsation condition has reoccurred in 5,000-11,000 km (3,000-7,000 mi) after having had the brakes serviced, tires rotated or any type of servicing that required wheel removal.

Cause
    Pulsation is the result of brake rotor thickness variation causing the brake caliper piston to move in and out of the brake caliper housing. This hydraulic "pumping/pulsing" effect is transmitted through the brake system and may be felt in the brake pedal. In severe cases, this condition may also transmit through the vehicle structure and other chassis system components such as the steering column or wheel. The major contributor to rotor thickness variation is excessive lateral run-out of the rotor, causing the brake pads to wear the rotor unevenly over time.

Correction
    Confirm that the brake pads have the number 1417 printed on the edge of the pad backing plate (refer to the illustration). This indicates the correct brake pads have been previously installed. The brake pads contained in Front Pad Kit, P/N 18044437 are the only brake pads that should be used on these vehicles. If the number 1417 is not present, or if the number is not legible, replace the brake pads. If the correct pads were previously installed, verify the brake pad thickness. If the brake pad friction material thickness is 4.6 mm (0.18 in) or greater, re-use the pads. If the friction material thickness is less than 4.6 mm (0.18 in), install new brake pads contained in Front Pad Kit P/N 18044437.

If the rotor thickness is less than 25 mm (0.98 in), install a new rotor. If rotor thickness is greater than 25 mm (0.98 in), refinish the rotor.

Replace existing front brake rotors and pads, if necessary, with new components indicated in the table following the applicable Service Manual procedures and the service guidelines contained in Corporate Bulletin Number 00-05-22-002.

Important
    The brake pad with the wear indicator must be installed in the inner position (against the piston in the caliper). When properly installed, the wear indicator will be pointing up with the caliper installed on the car (Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-05-23-005).
    If the pad with the wear indicator is installed in the outboard position, reduced front brake lining life or interference between the compact spare tire and brake caliper may occur.
    Anytime a new or refinished rotor is installed on a vehicle, the rotor must have .040 mm (.0015 in) or less of lateral run-out. This specification is important to prevent comebacks for brake pulsation and is a tighter specification than specified for other vehicle models.
    GM has approved a new technology for the correction of lateral run-out on new or refinished rotors. This new method is called *"Brake Align®". It will allow the technician to meet the .040 mm (.0015 in) or less requirement for lateral run-out by installing a specially selected tapered correction plate between the rotor and the hub (Reference Corporate Bulletin Number 01-05-23-001).

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from this firm or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

Machine the existing rotors on an approved, well-maintained brake lathe to guarantee smooth, flat, and parallel surfaces. Replace the rotors if they do not meet the minimum thickness specification. DO NOT MACHINE NEW ROTORS.

Ensure that all the mating surfaces of the rotor and the hub are clean using the J 42450-A, Wheel Hub Cleaning Kit, to clean around the wheel studs. Use the J 41013, Wheel Hub Resurfacign Kit, to clean the mating surface of the rotor and bearing hub. Mount the new or refinished rotor onto the vehicle hub and secure using Conical Retaining Washers, J 45101-100 and the existing wheel nuts. Do not install the calipers and the wheels at this time. Tighten
    Tighten the wheel nuts in a star pattern to 140 N·m (100 lb ft) using J 39544, Torque Socket or equivalent.

Fasten a dial indicator to the steering knuckle so that the indicator needle contacts the rotor outboard friction surface approximately 12.7 mm (0.5 in) from the rotor's outer edge.
    Rotate the rotor and measure the total lateral run-out.
    Based on the measurement taken in the previous step, proceed as indicated below:
    Lateral run-out LESS than or equal to .040 mm (.0015 in), remove wheel nuts and conical washers and then proceed to Step 11.
    Lateral run-out GREATER than .040 mm (.0015 in), proceed to the next step.
    Following procedure below, determine the correct "Brake Align® Correction Plate" that will be required to bring lateral run-out within the specification:
    Rotate the rotor and locate the point on the rotor where the lowest dial indicator reading is indicated and set the dial indicator to zero.
    Rotate the rotor and locate the point with the highest dial indicator reading (rotor "high spot").
    Note the amount and location of the "high spot" on the rotor and mark the closest wheel stud relative to this location.
    Select the appropriate "Brake Align® Correction Plate" required to compensate for the lateral run-out from the plates listed in the chart below. Verify that the plate selected corrects the run-out specification to within .040 mm (.0015 in) or less.
    Remove the wheel nuts, conical washers and rotor.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Important
    Never attempt to stack two or more Correction Plates together on one hub. Never attempt to re-use a previously installed Correction Plate.

Following the Brake Align® procedures and diagram, install the Correction Plate onto the vehicle between the hub and rotor. The V-notch in the Correction Plate is to be installed and aligned with the noted location of the "high spot" on the vehicle hub and marked wheel stud.
    Install the rotor onto the vehicle with the Correction Plate placed between the hub and the rotor. Be sure to install the rotor onto the hub in the same location as identified in Step 6.3.
    Re-install the calipers and wheels.

Important
    It is critical to follow the procedure below for torquing the wheels. Brake rotors may be distorted if the wheel nuts are tightened with an impact wrench or if this procedure is not followed exactly.

Tighten
    Tighten the wheel nuts to 140 N·m (100 lb ft) with a TORQUE WRENCH following the three step method below:

Hand tighten all 5 wheel nuts using the star pattern (refer to the illustration).
    Tighten all 5 wheel nuts to approximately 1/2 specification using the star pattern.
    Tighten all 5 wheel nuts to 140 N·m (100 lb ft) using the star pattern.
    Fasten a dial indicator to the steering knuckle so that the indicator needle contacts the rotor inboard friction surface approximately 12.7 mm (0.5 in) from the rotors's outer edge.
    Rotate the wheel on the opposite side of the vehicle and confirm that lateral run-out is less than or equal to .040 mm (.0015 in). If run-out is less than or equal to .040 mm (.0015 in), proceed to Step 14. If run-out is greater than .040 mm (.0015 in), remove the wheel and secure the rotor using conical retaining washers J 45101-100 and the existing wheel nuts. Measure run-out following Steps 3 and 4 above to ensure that the right correction plate was selected and properly installed. If run-out is within specification, reinstall the wheel making sure to use the three step tightening procedure in Step 11 and check run-out per Steps 12 and 13. If run-out is still out of specification, index the wheel or install a wheel from another position on the car until the correct run-out specification is achieved.
    Road test the car to verify the repairs.
    Brake Align® Correction Plates Plate Size Plate P/N
    .003 in 411-801-003
    .006 in 411-801-006
    .009 in 411-801-009

For vehicles repaired under warranty, Brake Align® Run-Out Correction Plates should be submitted in Net Amount at cost plus 40%.

Brake Align® Run-Out Correction Plates are available through the following suppliers:

Dealer Equipment and Services at 1-800-GM TOOLS
    Brake Align® LLC at 1-888-447-1872 (US dealers only)
    Parts Information
    Part Number Description

18060442 Front Brake Rotor
    18044437 Front Brake Pad Kit

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
    Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
    Labor Operation
    Description Labor Time
    H0042*
    Pads, Front Disc Brake- Replace 1.3 hr
    Add A
    Machine Rotor (one) 0.5 hr
    Add B
    Machine Rotor (both) 0.9 hr
    Add C
    Replace One Rotor 0.1 hr
    Add D
    Replace Both Rotors 0.2 hr
    Add E
    Install One Correction Plate 0.1 hr
    Add F
    Install Both Correction Plates 0.1 hr

*Labor time includes time to check run-out and road test vehicle after repair.
This discussion has been closed.