Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    strpywstrpyw Member Posts: 2
    On sept 3 I bought a vp honda accord 07 and was not going to buy any warranty( common approach?) until the finance manager presented a money back guarantee if the policy is left unused during the coverage. He continued to coach that for small repair, better to pay out of pocket.
    Has anybody heard of such deal anywhere else?
  • Options
    knightmarcusknightmarcus Member Posts: 1
    Quick question was out shopping for a 2004 Odyssey EX-L with DVD and NAV and ran into this issue at 2 dealers. Both vehicles are honda certified, both around 47,000 miles both will have the 12/12 from date of purchase. Now one dealer told me I could buy a honda care since it was under warranty :) while the other dealer said only after market because the honda warranty had ended and was being restarted for 12/12. :( So which dealer is right? :confuse: I would rather buy the honda care warranty online for price reasons, but if the one dealer is the only one who will sell it to me I will have to go with the one dealer. Does anyone know any dealers who will sell one on a honda certified vehicle? :confuse:
  • Options
    rwall10597rwall10597 Member Posts: 13
    I'm curious if anyone has looked into this, but if I purchase a $1200 warranty today, then my vehicle is stolen tomorrow, I would be totally out the $1200 right? Has anyone ever heard of an insurance company taking that into consideration when reimbursing you for a loss?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you should be able to cancel an extended warranty at anytime and receive a prorated refund. No doubt there would some sort of cancellation fees involved.

tidester, host
  • Options
    coach2006coach2006 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just bought an 2007 Civil LX yesterday. Based on what I read in all the messages here it is possible to cancel with no fees then buy it somewhere else. I was planning on buying it from www.myhondawarranty.com (Saccucci Honda from Middleton, RI). I live in CA. Anyone see any problems? I would save a lot of money, as I didnt know what the Honda Care actually costs.

thanks.
  • Options
    inadazeinadaze Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an Accord EX-V6 and also bought a 7 year, 80k mile Honda Care policy for $1500 at the dealer's which I've just cancelled. I didn't know I had 60 days to cancel until I read it in the Honda Care booklet which came in the mail about 3 weeks later. I went back to the dealer and a different finance guy filled out the paperwork. I had no trouble cancelling, but the guy wasn't very friendly. I know from reading posts here that I could get Honda Care for much less than $1500 so thanks everyone for sharing your information.
  • Options
    salmannnsalmannn Member Posts: 1
    I have a Honda Accord 2005 . It has about 29000 miles on it . My dealer has offered extended warranty through completecare a product of Universal Underwriter Group for $1780 i.e 5year/100,000 miles. What do you guys think about this offer . :lemon: Secondly I have come to know that most of these companies require original reciepts for all the routine maintainences and servicings as recommended by your manufacturer before they will approve your claim at the time of need.

Thank you in advance. :mad:
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Since it costs more than the best price on the real Hondacare warranty, it is ridiculous to even consider it.
    Instead of arguing about it or trying to get them to lower the price, you should just go to another dealer.
    The fact that they even offered that shows a high level of sleaziness on their part.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    have a Honda Accord 2005 . It has about 29000 miles on it . My dealer has offered extended warranty through completecare a product of Universal Underwriter Group for $1780 i.e 5year/100,000 miles..........

....also have ze Honda Accord '05. Similar mileage. Have HondaCare EW 6year80k=583 American .

Be careful, dude. I used Hondacura.whatever(Ray Laks Honda).........others noted within this board are similarly competitive.

..best, ez..
  • Options
    salenetsalenet Member Posts: 64
    I bought mine from Saccucci and they were great to deal with. It was quick and easy. You can even finance it over 1 year if you like 12 montly installments that are charged right to a credit card. BTW they also have great pricing on accessories. I have bought a bunch of this from them for my 2006 Pilot.
  • Options
    toppssellertoppsseller Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my warranty from Bernardi Honda in Mass. They sell their warranties for $1 over cost.
    http://www.hondawarrantyinfo.com
  • Options
    onetimonetim Member Posts: 1
    I bought an accord from Saccucci. They proudly quoted me $1350 for a 6 yr 100K extended warranty. I showed them a quote from Bernardi, www.hondawarrantyinfo.com, for $729 for the same coverage and they embarrassingly matched it.
  • Options
    Probably not true.
    It isn't worth the time to do the paperwork if they only make $1.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The warranty company is JM&A. My wife is a nurse and puts about 300 - 500 miles per week on her car...We spent about $1,500 each for 7 year, 100,000 miles coverage

While others will argue the merits for and against any EW, I would argure against a non-Hondacare EW if you are going to get one. $1,500 for 7yr, 100k is too much money and then you compound the problem with a non-Honda warranty.

For less than that you (likely) can find a read HondaCare 8yr/120k policy with $0 deductible. Check the Bernardi and Saccucci web pages for free quote.

Look at the fine print on the warranties you purchased and cancel them ASAP if you can. If you decide you need an extended warranty, then buy HC at a discount online.

Note if you financed your warranty on top of the financing of the cars, the refund will go back to the back. They will either reduce your monthly paymnet or just apply that to the principle and your payment remains the same (but you will have fewer payments total).

Dennis
  • Options
    finance manager presented a money back guarantee if the policy is left unused during the coverage. He continued to coach that for small repair, better to pay out of pocket.

Yes, I have heard of plans like this - but I don't think it would be the factory backed HondaCare plan. I have actually talked to folks who had a similar deal, no claims, and got a refund. They did as the dealer suggested and paid for small things out of pocket to ensure they got the full refund.

My problem with this is that it is not Honda Care and so "who knows" what kind of problems and hassle you would get if you tried to make a claim. They set it up this way to avoid having to pay claims at all - appealing to the greed of the customer to try to get the money back.

Dennis
  • Options
    Quick question was out shopping for a 2004 Odyssey EX-L with DVD and NAV and ran into this issue at 2 dealers. Both vehicles are honda certified, both around 47,000 miles both will have the 12/12 from date of purchase

47k puts it too many miles for normal Hondacare, but Honda has "Honda Certified Used Cars qualify for Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage, up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date" - from the Honda web page. So I assume the buying it has a CPO car you could still qualify for HondaCare. I would call one of the discount HC online dealers and ask them about this - and if possible get a quote. The CPO covers you 7yr/100k powertrain (from original in service date) and 12/12k on the rest of the car (from the day you purchase it CPO).

Dennis
  • Options
    rdpflardpfla Member Posts: 1
    I for one find this whole discussion nuts. How can the State of Florida or Honda enforce any of this and how can it "void" your warranty? If I live in New York and then move to Florida, are they saying that when I cross the border my warranty is void....BULL. And if I have a summer home in Vermont and happen to go to my local dealer to buy a warranty on my Florida registered car but use my local Vermont address, that the warranty is no good back home? There is no way that this is enforceable. If you want to buy a warranty outside of Florida to get a better deal, I say go for it.
    Maybe this is something that the state and Honda came up with years ago because Honda dealers were raping there customers and Honda made this deal to make the state happy?image
  • Options
    Don't blame Honda, it is the State of Florida doing this. They treat extended warranties as "insurance" so they regulate who can sell it in the state and what price can be charged. So the dealers can't mark it up and gouge the customers, but they also can't discount it (even if they want to).

So if you reside in FL you have to purchase your HC from a FL authorized seller (usually a FL based dealer) and they have to charge you full price - not a penny more or a penny less.

If you purchase from an out of state dealer your HC warranty (not the new car warranty) could be null and void. If you car is registered in another state with tags from that other state, then you should be fine. I am sure that if you legit move to FL after getting a warranty elsewhere it too would be good.

I think they are trying to protect all the retirees in FL from getting ripped out, but in this case they are making FL residents pay WAY too much.

Don't like it? You need to work with your FL state reps and get the laws changed.

It is the same on Dell computer warranties, motorcycle warranties, and even a service plan on you Sears washer or 'fridge.

Dennis
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Good points Dennis. I never said any other these silly laws or policies made any sense. I did my best you regurgitate them (as it makes me sick thinking why I paid more) for an Alabama/NW FL owner that inquired about EW rules. I certainly agree that none of this is enforceable. Imagine taking your Ody in for service and they look at your paperwork, VIIN and tags, press that hidden button under the counter and presto, Sherriff Bighat shows up to cart you away. This would never happen unless you have an outstanding warrant or happen to be on America's Most Wanted on the service waiting area TV. I for one am one of America's Least Wanted.

Truth is, mother Honda could care less what state you bought yours in when taking it in for service. It's the insurance commish that cares and he drives a bent Mercedes, might even be governor soon.

GBA!
  • Options
    kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    Is it true in order to keep your Honda Care Warranty valid you must have all the scheduled recommended maintenance done. And have proof of that.
    Thanks
  • Options
    This is true, but this is also true of the factory warranty. If you drive your car 48,000 miles and never change the oil and the engine blows up - Honda is not likely to put in a new engine. If under this same scenario you have proof you changed the oil and filter every 5k miles and follow all other Honda recommended service, then they should fix or replace it.

Now, that said, you do not HAVE to have the work done at the dealer where you purchased the car or at any Honda dealer. You can change the oil in your driveway if you want, just be sure to do it properly and keep the receipts. So by all means follow the recommended service intervals during the Honda warranty and HC extended warranty (if you get one), but feel free to have any qualified mechanic do the work or do it yourself.

Dennis
  • Options
    kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    Well here's what I found on the Edmunds new car section for a 2006 Honda Accord LX V6 sedan, It lists all the scheduled maintenance along with a price for each, I'm assuming they get this information from Honda?
    According to this if you had all the scheduled maintenance done from 0 miles to 100,000 miles it would cost you approx. $2,319, This includes everything, I realize this is not exact. So what schedule does Honda use to keep the HC warranty valid.
    Thanks
  • Options
    The schedule in the back of the owner's manual. I think the new Civic is a 105k mile "tune up" car, so it would be oil changes every time the light comes on (5k-10k or so depending on driving habits) and things like air filter, etc as needed. If I think about it I can check the book in my daughter's car, but most cars now don't require a lot. You might have to do a cam belt at 60k, if equipped.

For most of the duration it would be oil and filter changes with a little extra from time to time. As I said, you can get this stuff done for less elsewhere if you want - or do it yourself.

While anything is possible, they typically do not use this clause to make customers mad - they would only use it if they thought the work had not been done and that led to the failure. The servicing dealer will get paid by Honda for any work they perform under either warranty so the dealer may not even check to see if you have kept the car serviced or not - but you should. No point in spending money for the warranty when regular maintenance will likely do a lot more to keep you happy :)

Dennis
  • Options
    raul07raul07 Member Posts: 3
    gold plus coverage for 07 accord for 1295$.IS this a good price??
  • Options
    Nope. I would not get anything except factory backed Hondacare and there is no "gold plus" HC warranty.

Check here and other places for HC prices like these:

I4 2007 Accord:
    8 years/120,000 miles warranty $0 deductible = $926.00

V6 2007 Accord:
    8 years/120,000 miles warranty$0 deductible = $981.00

Dennis
  • Options
    johnddentjohnddent Member Posts: 13
    I am considering purchasing a new 2006 Odyssey EXL and the dealer offered to have another company come and install the Pioneer Nav system and DVD entertainment because they can't find anymore 2006 R&N's. I like the Pioneer system, but am worried that any extended warranty won't cover this expensive electronic system.

If the dealer installs it before I leave the lot, and the factory warranty covers it, will an extended warranty cover it? Do I have to take the Honda warranty now to make sure it is covered?

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    No, unless it is exactly the same nav system from the factory (I doubt) or an official Honda accessory listed in the accessories brochures.
    Just wait and buy a 2007 to get the factory nav and entertainment system already installed or go to Best Buy or Circuit City and get an aftermarket system there plus an separate warranty to cover it.
  • Options
    The Hondacare warranty says that "genuine factory installed Navigational devices" are covered. "American Honda authorized electronic/audio accessories: including cellular phones rear entertainment and DVD systems that are factory installed; or DEALER installed according to American Honda factory specifications"

I am not sure if your first statement is true or not - I don't think Honda will factory warranty cover a Pioneer system installed by the dealer or anyone else. The Hondcare is vague, but I am not sure they will cover it either.

As was suggested, you can buy the van as-is and get a local stereo shop install anything in it you want. There is a Oddy mounting kit like this one available to make it easy to do. Will it work with the steering wheel controls? Will it allow you to play DVDs and have a NAV DVD in place at the same time? I don't know. If you buy from someone like BestBuy or Circuit City you can get an extended warranty on the stuff and the install. DVD in-dash NAV systems are less than $2k now. How much does the dealer want?

Unless you are getting a smoking hot deal, I would look around at other dealers for another 06 or just wait for an 07 equipped like you want it. Looks like there is only $500 in dealer money in left over Oddy vans, that is not enough of a discount for me to hassle with not getting exactly what you want. Find a dealer that has the van you want or wait for an 07.

Dennis
  • Options
    johnddentjohnddent Member Posts: 13
    Thanks,

The dealer has offered the 2006 EXL for $ 27,258, which includes destination $600. This seems like a good deal.

The install of Nav system and 10inch DVD entertainment would be done at the dealership for $4014 including XM and bluetooth (about $500 above retail), and the dealer says it comes with the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty included on the dvd/nav.

Although we wanted dvd/nav from Honda, we would still have to add an external bluetooth etc and have a smaller view screen in the back.

07 vans with dvd/nav appear to be about $4000 more than the 06. I don't think we can do that.
  • Options
    Invoice on the EX-L is $28,313 including destination. With the $500 in dealer money that puts invoice at $27,813 so your price is well into the hold back. A nice deal. The price for the add-ons sounds high to me, when you add that back in you go from $27,258 to $31,272

Invoice on the 06 EX-L with NAV and DVD entertainment is $35,502 or $35,002 with the $500 off. If you could find one it may be (like the EX-L) even less.

I think I would call a couple of local places to get quotes on doing the NAV system and DVD system. See if they could not do something as nice or better for less than $4014. If not, then at least you know the dealer is not ripping you off. I don't think Honda would cover this under the 3yr/36k warranty, maybe the dealer is planning on covering it for you - but get something in writing about it in any case. If you get this installed yourself, you can always buy a longer warranty on the goodies.

I have owned several cars with OEM Nav systems and I own several stand-alone Garmin systems. For the money, the OEM systems (and in dash like you are thinking of getting) are a big rip off. You can buy a Garmin color GPS for under $300 and even the top of the line for under $1,000 that included XM and even traffic and satellite weather. So you might think about just getting the DVD entertainment system and leaving the OEM stereo in place, then pick up a Garmin GPS to use when travelling. With an external antenna (actually just mounted under the window glass) you can place the GPS about anywhere inside the car - and do it for a lot less money.

I would check in over in the Oddy Prices Paid forum to see what others are paying for 06 and 07 vans before deciding what to do. You might also pose your aftermarket VS OEM questions there and in the Oddy Audio Video and Oddy Nav forums and get more input from folks who already own the van and have been through the pros and cons of the OEM and aftermarket systems.

Dennis
  • Options
    thegoochthegooch Member Posts: 2
    First time Honda owner. Bought 2007 civic ex. Dealers extended warranty price was outrageous compared to research on hondacare. I won't own this car for more than 5yrs and drive less than 8000 a year. Any advice on which hondacare package is best? The prices are so low compared to dealer I am just skeptical.
  • Options
    sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    In your case you might not need one at all. I believe after 2006 the standard warranty is 5/60 powertrain, and the rest is 3/36. If you're not going to have it more that 5 years, and will have less that 40K, you'll be paying for something that you already have, or in the best case will have a very small period of actual HondaCare coverage. Just doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    It is likely that you will never need the extended warranty.

That said, after the 36 months is up one claim - like say the AC compressor - would more than pay for the cost of the warranty.

What do you plan on doing with the EX when you are done with it? Trade it? Sell it in the paper? Sell it to a friend or relative? Give it to one of your kids or spouse?

These are the prices for the longest term w/shortest miles from the cheapest online source I have found:

5 years/60,000 miles warranty: $0 deductible = $311.00
    6 years/80,000 miles warranty $0 deductible = $521.00
    7 years/80,000 miles warranty $0 deductible = $551.00
    8 years/100,000 miles warranty:$0 deductible = $776.00

In any situation other than trading your Civic in at a dealer the HC warranty can be transferred to the new owner for a $50 fee. Note that after the factory warranty has expired, you can't buy a HC warranty. So waiting until you are done with the car means no HC is likely. As a selling tool having the factory backed warranty should get you more dollars than other folks selling similar cars w/o the warranty. It will not matter in a trade, since the HC warranty has to pass from user to user (as in a private sale or gift).

If you trade the car or it is stolen/totalled you can cancel the policy. After the first 60 days you get a pro-rated refund on the unused balance. So if you buy one now (when the price is the cheapest) you can get a refund on it no matter if you use it or not. Say you got the 8yr/100k/$0 plan now for $776. After 5 years you trade the car and cancel the policy, they take the months driven since purchase and miles driven since purchase and which ever results in the the lesser percentage they use that for your refund. In your case, if purchased at day 1, mile 0 and the end of 5 years you would have used 5/8 of the warranty months or 40000/100000 of the miles. The lesser percentage remaining is the months, they would issue you a refund for 3/8 what you paid - $25 termination fee or $266 returned. If you for sure are going to trade, then the 5yr plan for $311 would be the cheapest net cost to you.

As long as you buy a genuine HondaCare warranty from an authorized Honda dealer you should be just fine. The dealers that have been linked in this forum should all fit that bill.

Dennis
  • Options
    thegoochthegooch Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for everyones thoughts about the EW. I'm assured now that not buying the dealers EW was definitely the way to go. The civic is such a great car I will have no second thoughts about selling it to a relative in a few years. With that in mind, a medium length EW maybe the route I'll take with Hondacare. My only problem with the car is that some people say it is a young persons car. I bought it because of the specs and quality, which made more sense than the Saturn Sky I considered. Well, again, thanks for your help.
  • Options
    The Sky might have been more fun on a nice day (I love convertibles) but the Civic should be a lot more trouble free, long lived, and get better mileage.

I say drive what you want the heck with what "people say". Parts of the new Civic design are a little different, but so were a lot of leading edge designs that are now accepted. My daughter wondered about the stacked instruments and the large and distant dash, but she says that in less than a month of driving the new car it is no problem at all. I think she will end up getting a custom fit sunshade for the front glass (I have one for my RX-8) to keep the car cooler in the summer months when parked in the sun. I think the car looks and drives nice and my daughter loves hers, which is all that matters.

Getting a discount HC warranty from an online dealer will not cost that much and should add value or peace of mind or both.

Dennis
  • Options
    fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if you recommending getting the extended warrantee on an '07 Honda Odyssey EX-L (Navi&DVD). I am afraid the power doors will go out first and that can be an expensive item to repair. Please let me know what your thoughts are. If so, where can I buy the extended warrantee and which one should I go with? Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    EW/no-EW is a matter of personal choice. Hard to make a recommendation without knowing things like how long you intend to keep the van and other variables like do you make your living doing pizza deliveries. We have a '06 Ody Touring R&N and intend to keep it five years or more. I opted for the zero deductible 7 years, 100K warranty through Honda. Hondacare is available up to 8 years and 120K miles. If you're in any state but Florida you can probably buy it cheaper through Bernardi or College Hills Honda than your local dealer (search this post for previous specifics). You raised a good point that sparked me to get a (FL only overpriced, can't buy cheaper by location) EW. With all the bells, whistles, and the factory that built them that come on this van, even one basic or door repair could exceed the cost of the EW. That alone was enough risk for me to try to eliminate out of pocket costs for a finite period of ownership. The only thing I don't recommend is buying a third party EW as although they sound sweeter as described by dealers, they often offer less coverage and more profit than OEM extensions. Keep in mind, any Hondacare warranty is just an extension of your warranty at delivery and you won't be disappointed. Best of luck opinion hunting as like certain body parts, everyone has one.
  • Options
    Thank you davant for your comments and inputs. I will have two children and intend to keep this van for five years and I no, I do not intend to deliver pizza on my days off :) . I just do not want things to break out and have to put out a chunk of money. How easy is it to go through Honda Care extended warrantee? Can I do everything online? If not, where can I locate one that is nearest to where I live? Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    jandswinderjandswinder Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying this 2002 civic but of course the manufacturer's warranty is already expired. It only has 21,000 miles.
    Any recommendations on the best place to get extended warranty?
  • Options
    You can apply to purchase a Hondacare EW through one of the online vendors you can find by scrolling through previous messages in this thread. I bought mine at the local dealership only because FL has goofy laws that prevent competition. I got our Touring Ody in Atlanta as they saved me over a grand compared to our local FL dealer who I later bought the EW from. Armed with an online quote you may be able to have your local dealer match or come close to the quote because some profit is better than none at all. In everywhere but FL, you're shopping EW's just like any other good or service but ensure you are getting HondaCare, not an imitation. I submitted a quote request like I lived outside FL for curiousity sake and got a near instant response.

HondaCare is essentially Honda itself as work done through Honda dealers if covered under warranty is totally transparent to the customer like an extension of the OEM warranty. Find a Honda dealership and you're found the closest location for service. I imagine there are provisions to utilize other service shops besides the Honda dealer but you're beyond my scope of knowledge so I won't pretend. I planned on servicing at the local dealership for everything that isn't recurring routine maintenance and in 18K miles have even had the dealer do that too. Checking my one-year old Bernardi quote, I would have been able to get a 7/0/100 HC EW for just under $1K had I not been in FL. It cost me $1,440 here, but I'm not bitter.

I asked about how long you have to buy an EW after purchase and the answer this time last year was up to 6K miles, haven't checked to see if that changed. After 6K it is considered a used vehicle and you can still get an EW but is probably much more.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your valuable inputs and recommendations. I will definite shop around. We have three to four Honda Dealership within 15 miles radius. Thank you again. Oh by the way, do they allow you to make payments on the cost of the warranty?
  • Options
    First, only consider or get the HondaCare warranty. Avoid anything else or you could be very sorry.

I would say for as little as you can get it for via an online dealership - why not? You get a pro-rated refund of the purchase price should you cancel it for any reason (theft, accident total, trade in, etc) and it can be transferred to the new owner for $50 if you sell the van yourself later (and would really add to the "value" of your used Ody). Note that the refund price (after 30 days) has no qualifier on how much or little you used the warranty. So even if your claims exceed the cost, you could still get a partial refund later. You are right, one repair like the A/C compressor (happened to a friend with an 03 Accord sedan just after the 3/36k warranty expired) can easily cost more than the policy - when purchased online at a discount.

Bernardi Honda online was the cheapest last time I checked, but there are other online places to try. You can finance your HondaCare warranty if purchased at the dealer with the new van - but they may be unwilling or unable to give you as good a deal as you can get online. Print out your online quotes and challenge them to match the price - if they can get close and you have a good finance rate then you may want to roll it in with the van. Otherwise, it may end up being cheaper to just charge the warranty to a CC and pay it off. You have until you hit 6k miles before the price goes up and the coverage options go down. One other point - if you finance the warranty then cancel it, the refund will go back to the back or finance company. They MAY reduce your payment to reflect a lower borrowed amount but most just apply it to the back end of the loan (so you pay fewer payments). So make sure you have Hondcare at a competitive price before thinking of financing it with the car.

Dennis
  • Options
    Dennis:

Thank you a wonderful and detail answer. I will take your advices and recommendations. Thanks again!! :)
  • Options
    shallwechatshallwechat Member Posts: 20
    i found the hondacare warranty to be much less expensive at saccucci honda in rhode island. it was less than jayhonda ($1360) and barnardi ($1490) and saccucci ($1285) for -0- deductible.

here is the site:

https://www.myhondawarranty.com/index.php

hope it is helpful. i did not know, or shall i say my dealer did not inform me, that after 6000 miles, the warranty and the price changes.
  • Options
    Was this recently? Which Honda model and what term in years and miles? I just checked all the online sources in the last few weeks for HC for my daughter's new Civic and Bernardi was the cheapest of the bunch (supposed to be $1 over cost). This was for a warranty purchased with the car under 6k miles.

You are correct, if you go over 6k miles then you can't get the same coverage and prices as you can with less than 6k on the clock. Some of the online places don't offer instant quotes once you go past 6k which makes it a lot harder to compare.

Dennis
  • Options
    kris995kris995 Member Posts: 23
    I was curious regarding the EW and what it covers. A friend told me they only cover the cost of the parts and not the labor to install the parts?? This doesn't sound right....
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Most service contracts cover parts and labor. Many contracts have caps on labor rate. If your shop charges $65 per hour and the contract company says they'll pay $45, you pay the difference.

There are many different service contracts, with different coverage levels. Some are 'exclusionary' plans, they cover 'everything except...' a list of parts. Many are 'named-component' plans that list the parts covered. These look impressive ('oooh, what a long list of parts!'), but they usually cover less than an exclusionary plan. They may cover hundreds, but your car has thousands of parts.

I don't like service contracts. I'd rather have the money in the bank to spend on repairs for my car. I have the money-wielding power, instead of giving it to a third party and hoping they'll pay up when I need it. I'd even rather have space on a credit card for emergencies than leave my money in another company's hands.

If you must buy one, READ IT FIRST! The whole thing, even the long words in tiny type. If you don't understand it, find someone who does and ask questions BEFORE you fork out your cash. I've had too many customers ask me 'What's a deductible?' when I tell them they're gonna owe it.
  • Options
    For a Honda or Acura, if you decide you want or need an extended warranty the only one to get is the factory backed HondaCare plan. No worries about parts only and no labor, no worries about the company going bankrupt, etc. They DO only cover certain things - it is NOT a bumper to bumper plan - so it is important that you read what is and is not covered before deciding.

HondaCare is good at any Honda dealership and offers a pro-rated refund if you cancel the plan - or a $50 fee to transfer it to the new owner should you sell your car.

Also there a plenty of online discount HondaCare dealers and you have until 6k miles to purchase for the best price/coverage - so no need to pay an inflated price at the dealership.

Dennis
  • Options
    papahondapapahonda Member Posts: 17
    hey all - may want to check out this site- www.honda-care.com they seem to have the best prices i have seen and on top of it you receive a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - yep - if your honda care expires without you ever using it you get the money back at the end of term- it's through an insurance company - you can check it out at the site - i ended up getting a 7yr 100k 0 ded for $840 (and this includes the $ back) !
  • Options
    Not impressed with the prices. For a new Civic with $0 deductible the web page you mentioned is:

7 yrs 100k miles $840.00
    7 yrs 120k miles $940.00
    8 yrs 100k miles $920.00
    8 yrs 120k miles $1,020.00

Bernardi HondaCare is:

7 years/100,000 miles warranty: $696.00
    7 years/120,000 miles warranty: $796.00
    8 years/100,000 miles warranty: $776.00
    8 years/120,000 miles warranty: $876.00

So you are paying $144 too much for the warranty - and if you use any benefit (roadside assistance, rental coverage, tow, or covered repair) then you get back $0. Also if you don't own the car when the HC plan runs out you get back nothing. If you don't have it registered with current tags at the end of the plan you get back nothing. I assume if you sell it, trade it, or it gets totalled before the end of term you still get a pro-rated refund from Honda - but they will keep more of your money since you paid more. You also have to remember to apply for your refund within 30 days of end of term - and no they do not remind you.

So what is likely to happen for most folks is they will sell or trade the car before the term runs out - $0 refund. Or someone will pay for roadside and tows and car rental and even minor repairs out of pocket trying to get back the full refund (this makes their cost even higher if they don't make it to end of term). Then they sell/trade or need to file a large claim and all the most is lost.

I would read the fine print and compare the prices, then decide if you want to pay $144 more now on the hopes that you will keep the car the full term, never use it, and remember to ask for the refund. I think I would just choose to pay less money now and use the plan as I needed it.

Dennis