Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    That wording is in there (sentinel is what they call it) because the same form is used to apply for HC and for that (see the check boxes at the top of the first page).

Turns out you can't buy HC and sentinel together anyway, and the price is silly high (VS the cost of oil changes):

The Honda Care Sentinel plan is the perfect plan for lease customers, or those that will only have their car while it is under factory warranty. The plan is a 3 year/36,000 mile contract that offers all the roadside assistance benefits of Honda Care, plus it offers routine oil changes, and tire coverage. This plan is not available with a regular Honda Care Contract.

Benefits include:

Cross Country Motor Club benefits
    Oil Changes under normal driving conditions(check owners manual for oil change guide)
    Road Hazard tire protection(not available in New York)
    Rental car for warranty work(not available on oil changes)
    This plan pays for itself. With oil changes approaching $30, you are receiving road side assistance and tire protection for around $56 a year!!!

6 0il changes X $30 = $180.00
    $349 - $180 = $169
    $169 over 3 years is $56 dollars a year for road side assistance.
    Internet Special Price $349*

I guess if you were leasing and wanted the roadside assistance then it might be worth it, but it offers no more coverage. The "6 changes" they show in the example are not going to happen unless you leave your car idling for hours at a time or drive in the worst stop and go traffic imaginable (every day). The owner's manual for Hondas now say to follow the minder system for oil changes, so the dealer would not give you the free change under the sentinel plan until the minder called for it - so you might get 3 or 4 changes in a year.

Dennis
  • Options
    zswxzswx Member Posts: 55
    Thx for clarifying it for me!

Now I think the sample HC contract is quite misleading. Oh well, maybe I should be more careful.
  • Options
    randy34randy34 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everybody,

I am about to buy a 2008 Honda Pilot VP (4WD) and I am looking for information regarding the Extended Warranties. I have been reading a lot of the postings and it looks like dealerships ask for whatever they want for these warranties.
    I have noticed that you can get the extended warranty through www.myhondawarranty.com or through hondawarrantyinfo.com.
    Can someone tell me if it's possible to buy the extended warranty from a different dealership that I purchase my vehicle.
    By the way I was told $860 for 5/60 and $1,730 for 8/120

I appreciate any information regarding my posting.

Thank you all !!!
  • Options
    spinecho1spinecho1 Member Posts: 11
    HondaCare is run by Honda so it does not matter which dealer you get it from. And, if you buy over the internet from another state there may be no sales tax. Check the websites that you are referring to, it should be way cheaper from what you've been quoted. Don't feel pressured to buy right away -- the price you pay if you put 2-3K on your odometer is not going to be that much different. Some people speculate that websites like the ones you are mentioning only make about a 100 of profit. I don't know if it is true, but wouldn't be too surprised if it is.
  • Options
    Sure, you can buy HondaCare from any Honda dealer that chooses to sell it (they all have to honor it) - so buy where you get the best price.

Up until your new Honda is x month old or 6k miles you can buy at the "new" price and options, after that your options go down a bit and the price goes up a bit.

What I would do and have done is print out the online prices and when the F&I guy tries to sell you a plan just hand him the print out. If they can match the price, then buy from them. If they can't match the price, then that shuts them up real quick so you don't have to get the hard sell. You can buy later from an online dealership if they will not match the price.

You probably will never need HondaCare (you are buying a Honda, after all) but if you decide you want an extended warranty then only buy real HondaCare and only at a nice discount.

Note that if you live in FL the price is "fixed" (high) and you can't get a discount and you can't buy online.

Dennis
  • Options
    tia38tia38 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I'm hoping someone has experience with or can help clarify the 'wear and tear' exclusion in the HC contract. On the very first page under 'Key Terms' they note:

MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN
    does not mean the gradual reduction in operating performance due to wear and tear.

I am concerned that a dealer may try to tell me that a breakdown is 'wear and tear' and not a 'mechanical breakdown' and thus won't be covered. I (the consumer) have no recourse -- I don't make the call on what's wear and tear.

I understand that normal maintenance items (most things associated with brakes, oil changes, bulbs, etc) are not covered, and are the things likely to 'wear and tear' over time. I am not worried about the excluded items explicitly listed in the contract.

My concerns are the major electrical systems, big mechanical things (like auto-sliding doors) and computer things... I wouldn't expect to have problems in the first 5 years (or so), but if I get the 8 year warranty I'm worried that in year 6+ the dealer may start using 'wear and tear not covered' to get out of the big ticket items, which is what I want HC to cover.

Hope that makes some sense. Any thoughts, comments or pointers appreciated.

Cheers,
    -Tia
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN
    does not mean the gradual reduction in operating performance due to wear and tear.

I am concerned that a dealer may try to tell me that a breakdown is 'wear and tear' and not a 'mechanical breakdown' and thus won't be covered. I (the consumer) have no recourse -- I don't make the call on what's wear and tear.

I think you're misinterpreting something. The definition of mechanical breakdown is clearly defined in the previous line:

MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN means the inability of a properly maintained part covered under this CONTRACT to perform the function for which it was designed, due to defects in materials or workmanship.

That's a pretty clear statement. If something was properly maintained and is not performing its function they'll take care of it.

The line you quoted prevents somebody from saying my power window used to go up and down more quickly when I bought the car than it does now, therefore, I want a new power window. If the window had slowed slightly over time due to normal wear and tear, that wouldn't be covered. If the power window didn't perform the function at all, that would be covered.

Furthermore, the dealer will actually work on your behalf to do warranty work because it's money in their pocket. They get paid from HC. So they're going to try to do as much legitimate warranty as possible.
  • Options
    On a 3rd party warranty, you would probably have a lot to worry about but I would not think you would under HC.

The dealer gets paid by HC for stuff they fix on a covered car, so it is not like money comes out of the dealer's pocket if they have to fix something. They are not looking to deny claims, but do have to follow the HC "rules" in order to get paid back.

I would think that language is in there so folks will not bring in a 7 year old Honda and say "It does not accelerate as fast as it use to" or "does not stop as quick" or "the AC still works pretty good, but it does not cool me off quite as fast as it used to". The HC plan is for stuff that brakes and not for stuff that (as expected) does not perform as well over time. The power sliding door still opens and closes, then they are not going to replace it if it does show 1 second slower than when new. If it stops working due to defect, then they should fix it free.

I think if a dealer denies a claim, you can also talk with the HC folks directly about a "second opinion" on the claim. But it is not a full warranty and does have exclusions. Knowing that going in can save you from disappointment later on. Example - the rubber parking brake boot on my old S pulled loose. I asked about it while in for an oil change, expecting that as a trim item they would say no. They did, but did mention that if the lever or any other part of the parking system (save for the pads) failed that would be covered.

Dennis
  • Options
    sbonosbono Member Posts: 1
    Why cant folks from Florida buy one of these ??
    Whats up with that ? I need one
  • Options
    Because Florida law considers extended warranties insurance which is governed by Florida insurance regulations. Therefore it will not permit out of state dealers which offer the really inexpensive warranties online to sell in Florida.

You can still purchase one from any Florida Honda dealer.
  • Options
    tia38tia38 Member Posts: 2
    jet10000 and dwynne -- thanks for the info and your thoughts.

i had not thought about who pays the dealer... a very good point!

as for "not working as well as it used to..." i have no problem with that -- it's the outright failures that worry me. an external site made a point of mentioning 'wear and tear' for an extended warranty being a 'key feature' -- but they were pushing for 3rd party warranties.

most of all, i'm glad to be thinking about these things (and many of the things posted by others here) BEFORE making my decision.

cheers,
    -tia
  • Options
    bfax11bfax11 Member Posts: 4
    I've had a leaking strut replaced under warranty (it was a few years ago on my 98 accord) and it did not affect the alignment at all.
  • Options
    xtrosweetxtrosweet Member Posts: 1
    I am feeling confussed aftter reading what everyone wrote on this page . I have also been researching extended warranties. I see that wear and tear after time can give them reason to not cover the situation which makes me thin if this is worth. Who is to say it will be covered. There is no garranty. I am also afraid to not take the extendee warranty the way they talk the navi will brake and it will cost thousands to fix if I do not have this warranty. I just read that they may not cover to reprogram the navi after fixing it. It seems they have an angle to get money from me in each case. Does anyone know if with the warranty from Honda on my new car if there is a copay everytime I use it?
  • Options
    I am feeling confussed aftter reading what everyone wrote on this page . I have also been researching extended warranties. I see that wear and tear after time can give them reason to not cover the situation which makes me thin if this is worth.

Well I don't know who is saying that wear and tear can give them reason not to cover it. As I posted earlier, the Honda Care contract is really clear, if an item is covered and is not functioning they will fix it. See the sample contract below.

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/Honda_Care_Warranty_Sample.pdf

There's not any programming to do with the nav system. You just put the DVD in. That's just silly to think a dealer would let you drive away with a replaced nav system and not load the DVD in to make it work.

As for the co-pay, Honda sells the warranty with a $100 deductible and with a $0 deductible. I get the $0 so I know I won't have to pay a dime more. I don't think there's that big of cost savings to get the $100 deductible to make it worth it.
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    This is why I don't like the use of the term 'warranty' when talking about service contracts. It confuses people.

The Warranty that comes with your Honda covers you for manufacturer defects, failures, that occur during the first 3 years or 36k miles of it's life. You do not have a 'copay' (or deductible) with a warranty. You get this warranty as a function of buying a new car. A service contract, however, often has a deductible. Usually it is payable for each trip to a shop, sometimes, it is payable per repair. Read a prospective contract carefully to see if you have a deductible, and how you have to pay it. Contracts vary greatly, so be sure to read all you are interested in carefully. Honda Care's best coverage is different from, say, Ultimate Warranty's best. A service contract is a different critter than a warranty. It operates differently, and goes by different laws.

When selling service contracts, companies will tell you about the massive cost of repairs. High dollar repairs are unusual; your navigation system is going to croak within the 3/36 if it's going to croak before 100k miles (the most common end of a service contract). Ditto re: your engine and transmission. The power door motors are pricy, but if you replace both, you'll only end up about even between the cost of the contract and the value of 2 door motors+labor. Most of these 'cost to repair' lists appear to assume about $150.00 per hour labor rates, too.

Of course the contracts give the companies ways to deny claims. They are in business to make money, not to fix your car and save you money. They have calculated the average amount needed in repairs per vehicle. Then they add profit, a kickback to the seller of the contract, administration costs, etc. They sell you the contract and gamble that they will make a good profit. It's a safe bet for the contract company, they've got the cards counted before you even belly up to the table.

Your best insurance for a less-troubled vehicle is taking good care of it. Fix small problems before they become big ones, and keep your fluids and filters changed on schedule.
  • Options
    A service contract, however, often has a deductible. Usually it is payable for each trip to a shop, sometimes, it is payable per repair. Read a prospective contract carefully to see if you have a deductible, and how you have to pay it.

You're trying to make it sound like Honda Care hides the co-pay in the fine print.

The fact is, Honda Care makes it very clear whether you have a deductible when you purchase the contract.

They offer $100 deductible and $0 deductible.

Just got to myhondawarranty.com or bernardiwarranty.com to see the evidence of this.
  • Options
    HondaCare does not hide the deductible. People often overlook the deductible on their contracts. It's right there. On the front page. There are so many people who say 'What deductible?' and give me a blank look when I mention it along with their repair information, that I have to advise people to read their contracts before they buy. Some service contracts have deductibles, some don't. You have to read the contract to find out which one you are buying.
  • Options
    applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    84K total vehicle miles.. So.. .since new..

60 months.. From first registration/sale..
  • Options
    The Honda Care warranty just extends your factory warranty. If you buy it for 60 months/100,000 miles, It extends it 2 years and 64,000 miles. The contract period effective date would be the date your vehicle was put into service.
  • Options
    Once your car has more than 6k miles on it your options are limited.
  • Options
    .The Honda Care warranty just extends your factory warranty. If you buy it for 60 months/100,000 miles, It extends it 2 years and 64,000 miles. The contract period effective date would be the date your vehicle was put into service.

This applies only if you buy the warranty within the first 6,000 miles of vehicle use. If you buy the warranty after 6,000 miles of use then the mileage and time begins on the date of purchase NOT the date the vehicle was put into service. .

See http://www.myhondawarranty.com/faq.php for further details.
  • Options
    It does not extend the factory warranty. There are different exclusions between HondaCare and factory warranty. They are separate entities and operate differently.

And, as applecore and jet said, after 6k miles, the contract options change.
  • Options
    It does not extend the factory warranty.

A common misconception, it seems. To avoid disappointment down the road the folks really should read the contracts before they buy :D. I am a HC fan, but at least I know what the scoop is before deciding to buy - and I make sure I buy at a bargain basement price.

Dennis
  • Options
    So common it makes my eyes water and head spin every time I see it mentioned.
  • Options
    spinecho1spinecho1 Member Posts: 11
    Ok, my contract came - I looked through the fine print. It sounds like any HONDA dealer in U.S or Canada is fine to use, other than that you need PRIOR AUTHORIZATION. It also has half a page of "what is not covered" section that talks about catalytic converter, hinges, hoses, etc, etc, etc. Did anyone actually use Honda Care and how did it go? Do you mind sharing what was actually covered? I still have time to cancel, but I guess it is not a bad deal if transmission, engine, computers are actually covered.

For those of you who keep on asking about mileage and time limits: your contract starts from the day you pay for Honda Care. Expiration date is date you paid + the term you chose. Mileage expiration is your actual mileage when you paid for Honda Care + whatever option you chose (for example, if you paid for Honda Care when you mileage was 24123 and chose 60K you expiration mileage is 84123 - hope this helps.
  • Options
    donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    It is my understanding that if your extended warranty is for 60,000 miles that the warranty expires after your odomenter reads 60,000 miles. For the 60,000 mile warranty you are receiving 24,000 additional miles of warranty beyond the 36,000 mile factory warranty.
  • Options
    It is my understanding that if your extended warranty is for 60,000 miles that the warranty expires after your odomenter reads 60,000 miles. For the 60,000 mile warranty you are receiving 24,000 additional miles of warranty beyond the 36,000 mile factory warranty.

As was posted before your understanding only applies to honda care purchased before the car has 6,000 miles. If Honda Care is purchased after 6,000 miles, the 60,000 miles (for example) is added on to the existing mileage in full.
  • Options
    Did anyone actually use Honda Care and how did it go? Do you mind sharing what was actually covered?

I've used it before and it works great. I used it at a different dealer than I purchased it from. They punched in my VIN number and it came right up in their system.

Whenever something happened, they just fixed it and sent me on my way. I didn't have any forms to fill out or any hassles.

I've also used the included Roadside Assistance and when I called, they came right away.
  • Options
    donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    The following quote was taken from an article under "Types of Warranties" on the web page listed below:

www.ConsumerAutomotiveResearch.com

This page gives a very comprehensive explanation of warranty plans.

"Mileage is the most confusing to understand and the most important. Vehicle warranty plans use the term mileage to mean either the number of miles on the odometer, or additional miles above and beyond what is currently on the odometer. This can have a big impact on your coverage.

For example if you have a vehicle with 70,000 miles on it and the policy covers 36 months / 100,000 miles on the odometer, you are only covered for 30,000 miles of driving or until you reach 100,000 on your odometer.

If the same policy is for 100,000 additional miles, you are covered for driving an additional 100,000 miles or 170,000 on your odometer."

Can someone tell me if HondaCare warrants your car (new or used) under the stipulation in the second paragraph or under the stipulation in the third paragraph. I can't seem to find the important word additional as it would pertain to a new Honda or a Honda with more than 6,000 miles in the sample HondaCare contract provided by Honda.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me if HondaCare warrants your car (new or used) under the stipulation in the second paragraph or under the stipulation in the third paragraph.

It depends on whether the car has 6,000 miles on it. See:

https://www.myhondawarranty.com/faq.php

When does coverage for service contracts begin?

Coverage for a new auto begins when the vehicle is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for a pre-owned plan(vehicles over 6,000 miles) begins on the service contract purchase date, and at the mileage on the odometer on that date.

If you want to see more evidence of this go to:

https://www.myhondawarranty.com/pricing.php

Enter in the same model of car same year except do one at 5,800 miles and one at 6,200 miles.

When it gives you the quotes for the 5,800 miles, you'll see that it offers plans that go through 8 years and 120K miles.

The quotes for the 6,200 miles, the plans only go up to 6 years and 102,000 miles.

You will also see a note on the 6,200 miles quote screen which says:

All "U" and "Z" plans start at contract purchase date, and mileage(Vehicles over 6,000 miles).

You will see a note on the 5,800 miles quote screen which says:

All "C" and "D" plans start at the original in-service mileage, and date(Vehicles under 6,000 miles).

Hope that clears the matter up for you.
  • Options
    sjack1insjack1in Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to everyone for the clarification.

Two questions:

(1) What does "original in-service date & mileage" mean?

(2) How do they check my mileage? Will I have to bring my car to a Honda dealership to let them "verify" my mileage (and maybe date of purchase)?

Thanks again to everyone who responds.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the supposedly price increase on HondaCare after Jan. 3rd (as described on MyHondaWarranty.com website)?
  • Options
    (1) What does "original in-service date & mileage" mean?

It means the mileage that was listed when you purchased the car new. Sometimes due to test drives, up to 100 miles or so can be on the car even when purchased new. So the honda care starts at that mileage instead of 0.

I just purchased a Honda Care for a new civic and they didn't require any mileage verification. They trusted what I told them.

I would expect if someone tried to buy a honda care for a 2006 model and told them they only had 3,400 miles on it they might be a little skeptical. :)
  • Options
    They know by the VIN when the car was reported sold, so that is the in-service date. The mileage may or may not be reported to Honda, but as was mentioned this is the miles at delivery when the car was new.

I have purchased several HC plans in the past and they have never once asked me to prove the mileage. I picked up a used S2000 years ago that was nearly 2 years old and had about 1,700 miles on it (a guy in the frozen north that only drove on really nice days) and I had no problem buying HC for it w/o any proof of mileage. Of course, YMMV and they could always flag your VIN so the next time you are are the dealer for anything they check the miles.

I think they adjust (increase) the prices just about every year based on the cost of claims. Since today is the 4th it may be too late to beat any price increase now :D .

Dennis
  • Options
    zswxzswx Member Posts: 55
    I've read almost all the information posted here. Here is my conclusion and please let me know where I am wrong:

Assumption: I want HC for my new car sooner or later.

Option 1: buy HC before 6k miles.

For each specific plan (year,milage), your total coverage doesn't change with the timing of your HC purchase because they all start from the time of new car purchase. But you can't use the Roadside Assistance before purchasing HC.

Therefore, the best strategy is to buy HC as early as possible (ignore interest loss for now). Is this right?

Option 2: buy HC after 6k miles

Now (year, miles) is counted from the time you purchase the HC. So the later you buy HC, the longer coverage you will receive because you will waste less of your factory warranty. To my surprise, prices for the plans are the same no matter how much miles you have now (I experimented online to find this). You can use Roadside Assistance for the same length of time.

Therefore, you should purchase HC as late as possible, maybe right before the factory warranty expires.

If the above reasonings are correct, most people should either buy HC at the time of purchase of the new car or right before the factory warranty expires. Is this true in reality?
  • Options
    It all depends on how long you are going to keep your car and how many miles you are going to put on it. Let us assume you want to get the longest term in months and miles you can get.

If you buy when "new" you can buy a 8 year, 120k plan. That is 8/120k since new and the cost online is $940 with $0 deductible.

If you buy when "used", say 35,999 miles and 35.9 months then the only $0 deductible plan you can buy is 60 months and 60k miles and the cost is $1040. Since the months and miles are from purchase, the limit is then 7.9 years and 95,999 miles. So you pay $100 more (if you assume the cost in 3 years does not go up, which it probably will) and you get almost the same coverage in months, but 24,001 fewer miles.

So which is best can depend on your miles per year and how long you keep the car.

One other thing to consider, if you car is totalled, traded, or stolen and you get a pro-rated refund on you HC plan the amount you get back is based on the months and miles used since purchase, whichever nets you the smallest refund - less a refund fee. So on a new purchase if you paid $940 for 8/120k and cashed out at 4 years or 60k miles you would get back $470 less the fee. If you purchased at 2.9 years and 35,999 miles and cashed out 1 year later, you should get back 4/5 of your $1040 or $832 less fee (assuming you had not driven too many miles). If you cashed out after 20k miles (of the 60k you are allowed) then you would get back 2/3 of the $1040 or $693 (assuming you can not kept it too many months).

Just more food for thought. Obviously if you drive a lot of miles and are going to keep it "forever" then buy while you can get the "new" terms. In any other possible cases you have to look at the numbers and decide. Of course, if you are not going to keep the car long-term then why not just keep the money in the bank and not buy at all? A Honda is not likely to need a lot of work, but the more miles and longer you keep it the more likely the odds become. I would not see buying a 4 yr contract or a 60k contract of something like that, but an 8yr/120k contract might make more sense.

Dennis
  • Options
    odyexlrn07odyexlrn07 Member Posts: 4
    dwynne,

where did you find online pricing of $940 for HC? TIA.
  • Options
    Check Saccucci or Bernardi (just google on the name + Hondacare).

Dennis
  • Options
    chicagomogulchicagomogul Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 8 year/120K, 0 deductible warranty for $1,041 from Carr's Honda, Chicago for my Honda Accord EX 2008.
    They offered that price without any bargaining and I may have paid a few dollars extra but since I got a good deal on the car, I don't mind.
  • Options
    anchalanchal Member Posts: 5
    A honda dealer in North Carolina is giving the 7 years/100000 miles extended warranty from Fidelity Warranty Services for $2143. I think the price is high. What do you think? Pelase share your experience. I need to decide this by tomorrow.

Thanks
  • Options
    You are kidding, right? Is this a joke? Have you read this thread :D ?

You can buy genuine HondaCare online for $1,050 for the 7yr/100k $0 deductible plan, you can get the 8yr/120k/$0 HondaCare for $1,230. Google Saccucci or Bernardi HondaCare.

So paying $2,143 for a 3rd party warranty is just plain nuts.

Dennis
  • Options
    Hyannis Honda

http://www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com/

Is offering $25 off all plans through 1/31/2008. When I checked, this puts them the same or lower than Saccucci or Bernardi for identical plans. Note that the other two typically give you a $25 gift certificate for their online parts/accessories stores.

My benchmark to compare is the $0 deductible at the longest term and miles (8yrs, 120k miles) for an I4 Accord. Saccucci is $940 (plus $25 GC) and Hyannis is $915.

Always check all the online dealers before your purchase - checking for your model, year, and terms to see who has the best price for your situation.

Dennis
  • Options
    kiefaber455kiefaber455 Member Posts: 16
    Picked up my EXL-V-6 today and the business manager asked if I was interested in an extended warranty package. I said I might be interested in the 8/120,000 that I saw for $995. He asked where I had gotten that price from and I told him the Hondacare Website. He said that he would match it--I figured everyone was charging that price. According to him, they charge $1500 for the same warranty. From what he told me, no matter where you buy it, if it's a Hondacare Warranty, any dealer has to honor it.
    Didn't purchase it. Car is considered new until 6,000 miles, so I was told. If my wife drives it after a couple of years, probably won't even come close to mileage limit. She has a '99 Acura CL that just turned 83000. And it's been from NY to FL twice and to NC 2 other times.
  • Options
    crvjoecrvjoe Member Posts: 24
    I just purchased a 6yr / 80k HondaCare warranty for $515 from Hyannis Honda. They have all the plans available on their web site and are the cheapest that I found,
    You order it just like the other online dealers.

http://www.hondacareextendedwarranty,com
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It's interesting to see that the Honda Care contracts are much more expensive on an Acura TSX than an Accord. This is surprising especially since the TSX has a longer factory warranty so Honda Care is actually giving you less additional coverage.
  • Options
    Either the TSX is more trouble prone, or the Acura dealers will not work as cheap as Honda dealers :D .

Dennis
  • Options
    If my wife drives it after a couple of years, probably won't even come close to mileage limit. She has a '99 Acura CL that just turned 83000.

That's fine. If you go to one of the on-line dealers, you can get a Honda Care for 100K or 80K instead of the 120K and save yourself a few bucks.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Hmmm---- I'm thinking about purchasing a HC warranty -- but I'm a little dismayed at the breadth of the items that are not covered. I've read the contract thoroughly and bolded the exclusions from coverage that make me worry. I fear the contract could easily be interpreted to exlude all problems with the interior, the exterior body, the fuel system, the exhaust, the paint, squeaks, emissions ( a big deal in state's that require emissions testing), gaskets that hold in very important fluids (i.e. oil pan gasket, lifter cover gasket etc.), the vehicle frame, doors, wheels (that are very expensive to replace and should never break if not abused), etc, etc, etc.

IV WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
    A. Parts other than genuine HONDA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery; cables; steering wheel; belts; radiator hoses; heater hoses and vacuum hoses; spark plugs; plug wires; distributor cap and rotor; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance: exhaust system, head pipes, tailpipes, catalytic converter; mufflers; hangars; heat shields; gaskets (except for the manifold block gask and related fastening hardware); fuel system; fuel tank straps; fuel hoses; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads; clutch disc, clutch pressure plate; throw out bearing, external shift linkages; pilot bearing/bushing; glass, mirror
    glass, body parts; body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers), hood fenders,
    doors, rear hatch, trunk lid, grille, panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLE color only); bumpers; moldings; lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); Hi Intensity Discharge (HID.) headlamps; sealed beams; fuses; body seals; weather-strips (except for window sash and window run channels); outside ornamentation; emblems; tires; valve stems; wheels; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; trim rings; caps; wheel studs; lug nuts; wheel locks; fastening/securing hardware for non-covered components; stripped or cross threaded fasteners (e.g., nuts, bolts, studs, screws, etc.); body seals; squeaks, rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; console; window handles; knobs; boots; pedals; pads; rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholste floor mats; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; -etghry; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision.
    . . . . .
    C. Any repair if a non-authorized part or accessory caused or contributed to, the MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN (e.g.,aftermarket performance parts, cold air intakes, strut tower braces [which are factory installed on my Accord???], headers, adjustable fuel rails, non-factory or non-DEALER
    installed stereo equipment, radios, speakers, amplifiers, compact disc changers, mp3 players, satellite radio/stereo systems,etc.).
  • Options
    hondacare7hondacare7 Member Posts: 6
    I am planning to buy Odyssey 08 EX. I am in GA. The dealer is asking for $1700 for 72 months /80 K miles coverage. He says it is direclty from Honda and non negotiable.

Is it the same thing if I buy from http://www.myhondawarranty.com. Why are they so cheap ? Any caveats ? Is it also from Honda Will the dealers in Ga will accept them?

Can some one please tell the difference ?

Thanks
  • Options
    Florida residents can't buy from discount out of state dealers, but everyone else can.

It is the same thing. Check Saccucci, Bernardi, and now Hyannis - last I checked Hyannis was the cheapest by a bit - but always check on the car and term you want.

It is all the same as long as you get HondaCare from a Honda dealer and the three I mentioned are. They put the plan into the Honda service computer and then you just go to any Honda dealer and when they plug in the VIN of your Honda it tells them you are covered and what limits are and deducible (if any). So no problem getting it honored anywhere.

If the dealer is unwilling to sell you a plan without the 100% markup they are used to, then just buy the Ody from them and get the HC plan later from a discount dealer.

Dennis
  • Options
    joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    It is the same thing. Check Saccucci, Bernardi, and now Hyannis - last I checked Hyannis was the cheapest by a bit - but always check on the car and term you want.

These 3 places are fools for not being members of this site. I bet they could sell 5 additional plans a month, at least. They get more free press then the Pope.