Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Can you please give me a quick and easy wat to cancel my EW which I bought through the Dealer. I got 7yrs /75000 miles on 08 Odyssey for $1275.

I don't know how long you've had the Honda Care. I've never tried to cancel a newly purchased Honda Care, but I have canceled Honda Care when I sold a vehicle. I was told to contact the dealership that I purchased it from. When I did, they sent a form to the Honda corporate office and I received a refund check very shortly afterwards.

I would start by calling your dealer and saying that you wish to cancel. Sometimes, they will give you the runaround. If that happens call the Honda Care number that came with your info packet and they should be able to help you out.
  • Options
    heyheyjudeheyheyjude Member Posts: 12
    First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place and apologize if I'm not. I'm freaking out because I'm so confused about several things and I'm literally planning on buying an Element in the next week or two.
    I've read SO much on here, and today I went through the process of getting 3 price quotes on the EX AWD, manual. I've been researching everything about the vehicle on this site for several weeks, tho it may not seem like it. :-(
    1. I'm getting bombarded with e mails and phone calls from the 3 dealerships from whom I requested quotes and all of them keep making reference to my '4W Element', although I requested info. on the 'AWD'. IS there an AWD as stated and why aren't any of the salesmen addressing that instead of a 4WD?
    2. This is going to sound so stupid, but I thought options (which aren't available from what I read) were the same thing as accesseries. I just went to the Honda website and saw a long list of them, so that has thrown me off. Would any Element owner recommend any interior accessories in particular, although I'm basically looking for practicality with a tad of snazzyness and a canine-mobile? (I.e., the arm rest with storage, etc.)
    3. Could someone please explain what this salesperson means by this statement in the e mail: "Any pricing information that follows via email or on the phone is only valid through our Internet Department Manager".
    4. Ditto on this question a different salesperson asked me in an e mail:
    "Do you specifically and only have to have a 2008 Honda Element or would you consider a similar vehicle especially if I could save you several hundred dollars?" (What does he mean by that and why would he be asking me that question??). I don't know if this matters, but this is going to be a cash purchase.
    Secondly, I really am sorry for my ignorance and the length of this post. I have looked this site over despite my questions. I'm a scared woman when it comes to buying new vehicles and would truly be grateful for any help. Thank you SO MUCH!
  • Options
    First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place and apologize if I'm not.

Hi,

Your post is fine, but it will probably get a better response if you post it here:

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef17c0e/0!make=Honda&model=Element&ed_mak- eindex=.ef17c0e

The forum you posted it in is mainly for discussion of extended warranties. Good luck with your vehicle purchase!
  • Options
    heyheyjudeheyheyjude Member Posts: 12
    Jet, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and put me in the right direction; I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    myfirstodysseymyfirstodyssey Member Posts: 14
    Thanks..
  • Options
    majordadmajordad Member Posts: 43
    Can anyone recommend a EW for a 2005 Odyssey with 46K miles. I didn't purchase the Honda Care initially, because I didn't intend to keep the vehicle beyond 3 years. Well the family is still loving he van and now I'm about to be without any coverage and would like a good reputable warranty. Went to a couple dealers in the are who are offering products costing $2K. But I'm not sure these companies truly offer nationwide service. I really don't understand why Honda doesn't offer plans for vehicles after the warranty expiration.
  • Options
    sliderule43sliderule43 Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a Ridgeline. After I got home, I realized the Honda Dealer sold me a Fidelity, not Honda Care policy. Was never disclosed. No thanks. In reading this board, I learned about the Satucci warranty. Went back, cancelled my Fidelity warranty, and after some haggling, offered the dealer $ 50 over the Satucci Price. Was able to combine it into my 2.9% 5 yr APR.

I know car warranties are generally a bad buy. My last Honda Care was, since my repair cost was only $150, over the 7 years. However, my EW paid off handsomely on my lemon VW Passat. It also paid off on my GM Malibu, when it had to be towed from my garage 2 weeks after the 3 year warranty expired. Bad starter. Then everything went bad. All cars can have problems. From the Toyota engine sludge issue, to the bad Honda Accord transmissions. I'll sleep well for the next 7 years. Bought my EW from my dealer, but the Satucci printout saved me a bunch. Thanks all.
  • Options
    ekdalekdal Member Posts: 10
    Does an aftermarket DVD void your warranty on an 08EX-L. Dealer wasn't sure.
  • Options
    duke23duke23 Member Posts: 488
    ekdal wrote :
    " Does an aftermarket DVD void your warranty on an 08EX-L. Dealer wasn't sure. "
    No it would not void your HCEW. It just wouldn't be covered.

From the HCEW " What is not covered " :

WHAT IS NOT COVERED by Honda Care

Parts other than genuine HONDA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts.
  • Options
    sliderule43 wrote:
    " I know car warranties are generally a bad buy. My last Honda Care was, since my repair cost was only $150, over the 7 years. However, my EW paid off handsomely on my lemon VW Passat. It also paid off on my GM Malibu, when it had to be towed from my garage 2 weeks after the 3 year warranty expired. Bad starter. Then everything went bad. All cars can have problems. From the Toyota engine sludge issue, to the bad Honda Accord transmissions. "
    I'm glad you are pleased. Such a pleasant tone to this forum since we are back to helping people. Looks like your personal experience is 2:3 in favor of EW's. Honda's in general are well built. HCOA's experience are that for the majority nothing, or not enough will happen thereby earning them a profit. But if you happen to be in the minority (it happens) then it will suck if you didn't have one. The HCEW that made the most sense to me was the 120,000 mile 8 year version. Some cars will have no problems from 75-100,000 miles but many will experience problems over 100,000 miles.So if you have bought a Honda to run it into the ground, then the long HCEW makes sense imho. HCEW only sells to vehicles with mileage under 36,000 so if you flip your cars you probably are best to do without. But jet10000 has commented on getting better resale values offering it with HCEW. At the current online price of $10 a month for the Accord 4 cyl at 8/120 ( Never pay retail! ) it is cheap insurance as far as relative insurance values go.
  • Options
    applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    Now that i will agree with. Insurance is nothing more then a numbers game. You need more policy premiums coming in then you have claims going out.

Insurance/warranty's are a funny product. it is something the consumer pays for that they hope they never need, but are glad they did when they need it.
  • Options
    There is a savings I forgot about. We are retired and have just downsized to one car. We were paying over $ 100 a year for AAA+. The extended warranty provides services similar (actually better than), AAA+, though less flexible-you need to go to a Honda dealer. Why wouldn't I ? The way I look at it, that makes the extended warranty free. This only applies if the extended warranty car is your only car.

Many people have road service, which is just another form of warranty. People pay for it hoping never to use it. Wonder how many people that consider waranties a waste of time, have road coverage? By the way, in my first post, I forget about my very early warranties. Got a new transmission when my Chevy Caprice seized up. Also received 2 air conditioner replacements on my son's Dodge Shadow. I guess that's why I don't have a great problem with these warranties. I just googled Mini Cooper complaints. Consumer Reports recommends the Mini. What a nightmare. You never really know. I can afford a warranty, but would really be hurt by a $ 2500 repair.
  • Options
    itsmaheshpitsmaheshp Member Posts: 11
    Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if it is worth buying Honda Extended Warranty (from online) for an 09 Honda Accord EXL? I bought this 2months back and now thinking if it is a worth..i know it costs around $800 for ~6yrs..

Any suggestions appreciated..

Thanks,
    Mahesh
  • Options
    I paid my dealer $950 for a $ 0 deductible 7 year warranty on my 2001 Accord. Had one covered repair for $ 150. Probably not worth it. When I bought my Ridgeline 3 weeks ago, still purchased the Honda care warranty. I'm a slow learner. This time, I brought in the online pricing, and paid $ 50 above that for the $ 0 deductible 7 year warranty. Saved a lot over the dealer's price. I'm the type that tends to buy the warranties on most things. They paid off handsomely on my GM, Chrysler, VW purchases. Poor value on Toyota, Honda purchases. I'm convinced they pay off if you plan to sell the car privately, after 5 years. Buyers are more willing to pay a good price from a private party, if the Honda Care warranty is in effect. I would. Make sure you get the Honda Care. They want to keep you as a Honda customer. On non auto warranties, they have been very worthwhile on any water usage appliances. Paid off on my expensive Sears washer, steam cleaners, and also my Vaccum Cleaners. Not so on TVs. I do have peace of mind, at a price.
  • Options
    a004482a004482 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Florida and I am thinking about getting an extended warranty on my 2005 Honda Pilot which currently has about 32,000 miles and is still under the new car warranty. Any recommendations? How do I make sure it is from Honda Motors?
  • Options
    sliderule43 wrote:
    "Many people have road service, which is just another form of warranty. People pay for it hoping never to use it. Wonder how many people that consider waranties a waste of time, have road coverage? "
    Like you I ran the numbers, though you might have to explain to gen x what a slide rule is. My previous AAA coverage (basic) at $55 per year x 8 = $440. $960-440 = $ 4.33 per month for near bumper to bumper coverage for 8/120. I found that cheap on a risk reward analysis and so let the dealership add it on but at an online price. Since I would maintain auto club services regardless, it sealed the deal. VMMV.
  • Options
    The contract should have the words "Honda Care," printed on it in large letters. I would also suggest you immediately call the number on the contract, before purchasing the warranty. Make sure it's Honda Care. Twice I was sold 3rd party contracts by my dealer, without having that fact disclosed. The first was by a VW dealer on my new Passat. The contract, administered by Ryan, had a big VW emblem on top. Though the company paid off on several repairs (on this lemon), my dealer sold the VW franchise to a another dealer. The other dealer would not accept the contract, and I had to pay for repairs and submit a claim. On my recent Ridgeline purchase, I was also sold a third party contract - without disclosure. When I read it (after returning home), I returned to the dealer immediately and told them I wanted Honda Care, or was going to small claims court. I would have. They agreed to rewrite it for $ 50 over the online price.

If you can't get Honda Care, save your money. I am so dissapointed with dealers that sell third party contracts, without disclosure, just to pad their bottom line. They have no problems hurting their customers.
  • Options
    jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    ", I brought in the online pricing, and paid $ 50 above that for the $ 0 deductible 7 year warranty."

I do not understand why people like to pay above invoice or above an online price. The best bet is to pay below invoice or below online price... at least make it the same.
  • Options
    I can't disagree with your position. Please consider that people that buy warranties tend to be risk adverse. You are willingly paying for something that you realize is probably a poor investment. Consistent with this risk adverse mentality, is the thought that maybe buying online may cause some problem. Whereas buying from your local dealer is more comforting. You are correct. I don't disagree with you. I'm just answering your good question.

I was willing to pay the extra $ 50, - my dealer refused to go lower. By the way, paid the extra $ 50, but wrapped it into my 2.9% 5 year loan. Makes it a breakeven-don't you think?
  • Options
    Well yes I agree with you. If the customer feels comfortable that is what ultimatly counts. In your case you broke even taking into consideration the financing and from the sounds of it you were satisfied with the deal... that is what ultimatly counts.
  • Options
    susant1susant1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm sure many people have posted about buying warranties online, but I just had to share my experience (so that other Honda customers don't make the mistake of paying too much for a warranty).

I recently purchased a Honda Care extended warranty for my 2008 Honda Accord (4 cyl, LX). I ended up buying it online, since the dealer I bought the car from tried to sell me the same warranty...for almost double the online price!

I shopped around & researched a number of sites; this site had the lowest price ($25 off all new contracts):
    http://www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com/
    Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda in MA.

I called & spoke to Bob before buying. He answered all of my questions & my contract was processed quickly & easily. I thanked him for providing a great service to all consumers, & for not trying to rip me off!
    6yrs/120K miles/$0 deductible, for $760.

I spoke to a co-worker/friend of mine who used to sell warranties; she said it was a great price. (The dealer I bought the car from, in NJ, tried to sell me the same warranty for $1400. I know we all have to make a living, but come on...that's just disgusting.)

Thank you Bob Leab!
  • Options
    susant1 wrote :
    " shopped around & researched a number of sites; this site had the lowest price ($25 off all new contracts):
    http://www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com/
    Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda in MA. "
    That is the way you do it. Never pay retail.
    You go girl ! Congratulations on getting the online price. Such a kinder forum. Almost, retracted, pleasurable,
  • Options
    traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    What's the status of the American Honda vs. Saccuci lawsuit?
  • Options
    I don't know the current status of the lawsuit, but the warranty is still available for purchase online. (Saccuci's site & the site I went to both mention this.)
  • Options
    a004482a004482 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. The thing is that because I live in Florida, the online websites have a statement indicating that I can not purchase an extended warranty on line. I contacted Honda Care and they re-directed me to a Honda dealership. I contacted my dealership and they were asking for over $2,800 for a five year, 60,000 miles coverage. That is too much!!
  • Options
    The thing is that because I live in Florida, the online websites have a statement indicating that I can not purchase an extended warranty on line.

Unfortunately, the State of Florida passed a law stating it is illegal for out of state dealers to sell extended warranties in Florida.

The only thing you can do is to call around to Honda dealers in the state and see what you can get for the best price. But since they don't have to compete with the online dealers, it may be tougher to find a good price.

If you find a good price, please post the dealer name. It would be very helpful to other Florida residents.
  • Options
    gahugafugagahugafuga Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to post that I paid $1500 for the Honda Care 8 year /120k mile warranty on a New Odyssey that I bought today. I know I could have done better but I live in California and I couldn't buy from the out of state places I have seen online.

Anthony
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858

....... I contacted my dealership and they were asking for over $2,800 for a five year, 60,000 miles coverage. That is too much!

...........3 years back - when I picked up my '05 Accord 6M - the delivering dealer asked exactly the same price (2800). But - just for today - it's $1800.

Same story. Different verse. Online: 6year/80,000 miles = $580.

Yes. Everyone needs to make a living. But- as you look around - look where greed seems to be taking us as of late.

Time for an afternoon Crown Royal in front of the fire with my hunting dog.

best, ez....
  • Options
    gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    Here is a Saccucci vs. Honda update.

Both sides have rested and submitted their closing briefs. We are now waiting for a judges ruling. Again this is not the trial, but a Preliminary Injunction Hearing in Federal Court. This will determine if we can continue to operate through trial.
  • Options
    stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    Actually it's a 3 year 84,000 mile extended warranty. The Mfg covers the first three years 36,000 miles.
  • Options
    Yes, the Basic Mfg. Warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles, which goes quickly if you do a lot of driving in 1 year (I drive at least 20-25K miles per year). Plus, I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Mfg. Warranty includes roadside assistance.
    I opted to buy the extended warranty just for peace of mind, since I plan on keeping the car for a number of years, & I'll have 25,000 miles on the car at 1 year.
  • Options
    Susant wrote:
    "Yes, the Basic Mfg. Warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles, which goes quickly if you do a lot of driving in 1 year (I drive at least 20-25K miles per year). Plus, I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Mfg. Warranty includes roadside assistance.
    I opted to buy the extended warranty just for peace of mind, since I plan on keeping the car for a number of years, & I'll have 25,000 miles on the car at 1 year. "
    Then you are an apt candidate. No the manufacturers 3 yr/36,000 warranty does not include Roadside assistance. Hcew warranty does, Given your milagage it may be a wise choice.
  • Options
    jwallsjwalls Member Posts: 30
    Just wanted to post that I paid $1500 for the Honda Care 8 year /120k mile warranty on a New Odyssey that I bought today. I know I could have done better but I live in California and I couldn't buy from the out of state places I have seen online.

Anthony

I too live in California and the dealer is trying to sell me the extended warranty for $1500.00 ( with 100-200 hundred "wiggle room" as he put it), for a 7yr / 80k 0 deductible. Duke23 posted a link to extended warranties but it says it can not do it in several states, California being one of them. Does anyone know if thats the law here or are there other options. Whats a good price on one of these ? Dealer also states I must pick it before I drive it off the lot (tommorow).

Jim
  • Options
    dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    Is this for a 2009 Honda Odyssey? If so, a really good price would be about $725; that's what you would pay if you could buy it online. All the rest is pure profit, so there's a lot more "wiggle room" than they are letting on.

Your dealer is also "fibbing" about the requirement that you have to purchase the plan before you drive the car off the lot. The last I heard you can still qualify for a New Vehicle plan until your odometer hits 6,000 miles. Your dealer is merely trying to put some additional pressure on you so they can get a more favorable deal.

However, since your dealer has stated that you have to buy the service contract before driving off the lot, I would go with that, but I would turn it around so that they end up feeling the pressure instead of you. Let it be known that you will not sign the final paperwork or drive the car off the lot unless they are willing to sell you the service contract at a more reasonable price, and be ready to walk away several times.

You should be able to buy an identical Honda Care contract from other Honda dealerships, so perhaps you should shop around a bit. While you've got them on the phone, see if they can offer you a better price on the entire vehicle as well. It's always nice to have a fallback position. If you want to apply some pressure of your own, let your dealer know what you're doing. Once they realize that the entire deal is at risk I think they will quickly drop the price on the service contract.
  • Options
    Its actually for a 2009 Pilot Touring. I called coporate Honda and Craig stated I did not have to buy right then. He stated you have up to 3k miles to purchase the plan. He also stated he was not aware of the law in California that keeps one from buying online.

I will call around a bit and see whats available....the rest of the process has been good, so Im a little bummed that they are pulling this "pressure" stuff at the end.

Jim
  • Options
    It's normal, and it doesn't happen only at the end. From the moment you step onto the lot the entire process is highly manipulative and is designed to wear you down and make you more susceptible to overpaying, especially when it comes to the various overpriced add-ons, most of which are highly profitable for the dealer. Overpaying for the service contract is really no different than falling for the paint sealant/fabric protection package or the anti-theft insurance/window etching racket. Just keep in mind that any extras the dealer offers you, including the Honda Care service contract, will almost certainly be very overpriced. The reality, however, is that everything is negotiable, and as long as you allow them to make a reasonable profit on the deal they will work with you.

The finance manager's office is where most of the money is made, and there's also a fat commission at stake, so this is where you can expect to meet with the greatest resistance (if you are negotiating from a position of strength) or pressure (if you are behaving more like putty in their hands). Don't try to be something you're not -- just remember that you are in charge of your own wallet, so your negotiating position is equal to if not stronger than theirs. And yes, unfortunately, they will lie to you. It's their job. Expect it and work with it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the great advice. I did not go for the deal, knowing I have time (mileage) on my side. My big delema right now is I have two dealerships on the east coast that are willing to sell me Honda Extended Care warranties at a far more reasonable price ($910.00 vs. $1,500.00) even though everything I have read says its against the law for them to do it ( I live in California). I guess as long as they are willing to take that chance (doesnt say its against the law to BUY them, just to sell them) and they are legit, cant hurt ?

What do you think ? :confuse:

Jim
  • Options
    I think you should buy your Honda Care contract from a Honda dealer in California, as there's no legal or honest way to do otherwise. You may have to pay a bit more than the online price, but that's life. Consider it the cost of doing business in the Great State of California. At least you'll be helping the local economy.

I suggest you call around to see if any other California-based Honda dealers will quote you a decent price. Even better, send each dealer an email stating the price you are willing to pay for a specified contract. Spell it out and make it easy for them. For example: "I have just purchased a 2009 Honda Pilot and I'm looking for a Honda dealer in California who will sell me a competitively-priced Honda Care service contract. My vehicle has only xxx miles. I will pay up to $925 for a Honda Care contract, Plan Code D78 (84 months, 80,000 miles, zero-deductible). I'm ready to buy the contract today." (You might even let your current dealer know what you're up to and give them one last chance to be the one who sells you the contract.)

My sample price allows for roughly $200 of profit, which ought to be more than enough to interest some dealerships. It's just a bit of paperwork, after all. Auto sales are down and dealers are getting hungry, so I think you ought to be able to find a taker. Set your own price but make it reasonable, and if they meet or beat your price then I suggest you make it an easy transaction and don't haggle.

I also suggest you do a Google search using the search terms "Honda Care California" or similar. I gave it a try and got several relevant hits. My only advice is that you check out each company before you send any money, deal only with reputable Honda dealers, and make sure they're truly selling you a genuine Honda Care contract and not some third-party product. Good luck!
  • Options
    Well, believe it or not, I sent out probably 20 emails with your "example"..actually cut and paste it adding in my milage and within a half hour a dealership in Downey California said they would match that price !!!

Dantz, thanks so much for your advice. You saved me a bunch of money and I really appreciate it :)

Jim

My dealership would not go below $1395.00
  • Options
    You're very welcome. I'm glad it's working out so well.
  • Options
    I think you should buy your Honda Care contract from a Honda dealer in California, as there's no legal or honest way to do otherwise.

You shouldn't make that comment about legality or honesty until you have read the actual California code that supposedly restricts this type of sale. I have, and links have been posted to it, and it is very vague and does not specifically mention service contracts at all.

Some dealers were warned of this, and voluntarily decided to stop selling them. But I challenge you to find a SINGLE case where the State of California has went after any out of state dealership selling them in California. You will not find one.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Also the OP did talk to Honda Corporate and that person was not aware of the supposed California restriction. Not saying it doesn't exist but I think the OP did due dilligence by contacting Honda directly. Shouldn't they knoW????
  • Options
    Said by jet10000:
    You shouldn't make that comment about legality or honesty until you have read the actual California code that supposedly restricts this type of sale. I have, and links have been posted to it, and it is very vague and does not specifically mention service contracts at all.

I just helped a guy save almost $500 and all you can do is criticize my advice that he avoid getting tangled up in legal issues? Anyway, I found the links and read the code, and it's anything but clear. Issues like this are decided in court, not in online forums.
  • Options
    Anyway, I found the links and read the code, and it's anything but clear. Issues like this are decided in court,

I agree it should be decided in court. But your original statement declared that it was illegal and dishonest for a California resident to purchase an extended warranty outside of the state. I was merely pointing out that your statement is not accurate in that the code is not clear nor has it been fully resolved in the court. Since I pointed this out, others who read this forum will not be mislead by what you wrote.
  • Options
    davidowsdavidows Member Posts: 3
    "This will determine if we can continue to operate through trial."

As I understand it, the only issue to be decided, even in the full trial, is whether Honda dealers can advertise via the internet, not whether they can sell to anyone from another state. That would be a clear violation of laws concerning restraint of trade and interstate commerce.

Therefore, even if Honda were to prevail, and I doubt they will, there is nothing stopping any of us from calling Saccucci, Bernardi, Curry or Hyannis Honda and requesting a price, as long as our own state law doesn't prohibit sellers from out of state, as with FL, WA and maybe CA.

So we should all make sure that we keep records of the contact info for these dealers (listed alphabetically), as their website addresses may disappear.

Bernardi Auto Group
    960 Worcester Road
    Natick, MA 01760
    800.455.5905 (p)
    508.651.1394 (f)
    SalesTeam@BernardiWarranty.com

Curry Honda,
    765 Memorial Drive,
    Chicopee, MA 01020
    Sales: 888-670-6449
    Fax: 413-593-0230
    internet@currycars.com

Hyannis Honda
    830 West Main Street
    Hyannis, MA 02601
    Phone: (508) 778-7878
    Fax: (508) 775-6855
    info@hondacareextendedwarranty.com

Saccucci Honda
    1350 West Main Road
    Middletown, RI 02842
    (401)-847-4737
    sales@saccucci.com

In any case, as long as the dealer is willing to sell you the Vehicle Service Contract, the dealer is the one taking the risk, not you. Your state may take action against the dealer, but they cannot invalidate your warranty, IMHO.

Even if Honda succeeds in blocking internet advertising, they would have no grounds for refusing to honor the Vehicle Service Contract, and it wouldn't be in their interest to do so. Imagine the consumer uproar if they were to even try! They might as well shoot themselves in the foot.

In fact, their database has no way of determining how you came to one of these dealers in the first place.
  • Options
    davidowsdavidows Member Posts: 3
    Having read about a few other's mistakes and lessons learned, I thought I should confess mine. Hopefully, someone else might learn from my mistake.

When I found the '06 Accord Hybrid I wanted online, it was being sold as a used car - dealer demo, with 11 months and almost 15K miles on it already, although I would be the first titled owner. I asked if they would sell it as a Honda Certified Used Car, and they agreed, but it added $800 to the price, before they offered to take $400 off the total. Not bad for a 1-year old car that would have been $32K new without the extended drive-train coverage, and I was getting for about $25K in cash.

Now I realize my mistake, though. All I really got for the $800 was the 7-year drive train warranty, but they had already performed the certification before I drove from Philadelphia to Baltimore (Dundalk, MD) to pick up the car. That's when I asked about upgrading it to a bumper-to-bumper warranty, as we had just done for my wife's 2008 Toyota Camry for under $800 (it was already being sold as a Toyota Certified Vehicle with less than 4K miles).

Just for the wrap-around service plan, on top of the $800 already paid for the HCUC drive-train coverage, Norris Honda wanted another $1400 and they were only willing to come down to $1200 something. I walked, and I'm glad I did. When I got home and found this thread, I only wished I hadn't wasted the $800 to have it certified in the first place.

I probably could have negotiated the $400 price reduction anyway, but even if I couldn't, I would have been better off to pay Bernardi $980 for a full warranty instead. Now I'll be paying twice for that drive-train coverage.

A couple of years ago, I was just lucky that I didn't have to pay $3000 or so for a rebuilt transmission in my 96 Accord EX. I bought it from a private party when it was just a year old, and I never purchased a service plan. Fortunately for me, some Hondas and Acuras from that year were covered by a consent decree the EPA enforced on Honda, which required them to repair any part, for 14 years or 150K miles, that would cause the vehicle to fail an emissions test. Since the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear, that qualified. Driving in first gear all the time certainly would have caused more pollution.

I still haven't decided if it's worth it, just to cover the rest of the car for an extra 5 years or 84K miles. Since the car has over 6000 miles, I might as well wait until just before the 30,000 mile cutoff before deciding whether to buy the 60-month/84K-mile warranty extension available on a used Honda. Those warranties begin at the time of purchase, not the In-service date, as with a new car warranty sold before the vehicle has 6000 miles on it.

Since the car will be ~27 months from the In-service date by then, the warranty will last until the vehicle is 87 months or 114K miles from the original In-service date. Buying it now, would just overlap the 36/36 coverage by at least 12/12 and cause it to run out at 75 months or 102K miles instead. I might as well get all I can, if I decide to do it!

BTW, I was told that I wouldn't be able to extend the Honda Care after 30K miles. Does anyone know if that's true? I thought it should be any time before the factory warranty expires at 3 years or 36K miles. If that's true, I can probably get closer to 8 years or 120K miles.

Although that transmission failure would be covered under the drive-train warranty I already have, I've seen reports online that the A/C condenser in my Accord is vulnerable to damage from road debris and a replacement is $500-600 at today's prices. I sure don't want to find out what they cost in 4-5 years. I'd like to install some mesh to protect the condenser, but that might void the original warranty. It's another catch 22, or a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't".
  • Options
    navisunavisu Member Posts: 1
    I bought 7 year extended warranty with my 07 odyssey ,which got rear ended and totaled and the waranty is useless now,can i get my money back for the unused years/miles? Please send me your suggestions.

I am not sure i posting on the right location,But i see a lot of useful tips and help content here,so decided to post here.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should be able to get a prorated cancellation refund based either on miles driven or time elapsed. Typically, there would be a cancellation fee deducted from a refund.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    My three year 36,000 mile warranty expired 10-31-2008. I didn't realize until two weeks ago that it expired. I called a dealer in Philadelphia, and was told that I couldn't purchase Honda Care because the Mfg warranty had expired on 10-31. I only have 24,000 miles on my 06 Accord Sdn EX V-6. Is there any one that I can call other then a dealer for Honda Care?
  • Options
    no.. after 3 years or 36k you cant get Honda Care.