Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    dps2dps2 Member Posts: 3
    Tom:

Due to circumstances, I have not been able to get my truck into the shop, however, I should be set to go early next week. I'll let you know how I make out and what they do to fix the problem.

Patrick
  • Options
    firesourcefiresource Member Posts: 17
    Thanks very much for taking the time to share that idea. I'll check it out!!
  • Options
    johanjohan Member Posts: 6
    I have a 97 silverado 5.7 vortech.I'm having a problem with my head lights going off when i turn them on.Everything else works drl,tail lights, high beam etc.Any anserws
  • Options
    rcherryrcherry Member Posts: 7
    my 1995 silverado four wheel drive stopped working about a year ago and I was hoping that somebody could give me some possible causes and save me a big mechanics bill that I cannot afford.I talked to the dealer parts dept.and I got two different answers from two different people.
  • Options
    jjtjjjtj Member Posts: 80
    This is a common problem on these trucks.. there is an actuator in the transfer case which quits working and then the front axle will not engage. It's an easy repair and I think the replacement part is in the $100 range.. try a search on actuator and I'll bet it's covered in more detail in another post. The original is a bad design, it uses gas that expands to engage the actuator. The new design is electric & much more reliable.
  • Options
    kurtisvkurtisv Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem, 2001 2500HD, 8.1 with Allison Trans. I hear a click just as you do, but it sounds like some sort of relay.
  • Options
    w6stw6st Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like the fuel pump/gauge sending unit, located in the fuel tank. Mine would give incorrect readings and would have a whinning sound. Replaced the unit, no more problems.. hope this helps..Bill
  • Options
    thanks for the info but I talked to the dealer parts counter and I also searched the internet and what I found was that the actuator is on the front axle not the transfer case. Could you confirm or deny this I would greatly appreciate the help.
  • Options
    geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Its mounted near the front axle assembly.
    Easy to change.........Make sure you get the new updated
    actuator ( not the thermal one).
    It requires a simple wiring change and full
    instructions can be found on most GM truck sites.
  • Options
    04f15004f150 Member Posts: 1
    My son just bought a 02 reg cab with the 8.1 and allison trans and is having the same problem, we will be taking it back to the shop on monday, had it there today but they said they needed to have it fault with the meter attached, they think possibly a problem with the maf sensor. :mad:
  • Options
    jlandjland Member Posts: 3
    You've probably fixed the problem by now but here's my experience. On a 2000 model the cables which are made of "wire rope" rusted and started to unfray. Under load (Winter and iced up) the cable snapped. The same poor material specification led to a recall on the galvanized wire tail gate supports. The cables are not stainless so when the galvanized coating wears off the carbon steel won't last.
  • Options
    noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Up until recently have had few complaints. Performance is still good, but within the last couple of months a new sound has developed. If you've ever heard an AT whose bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate/flywheel became loose, that's it. A 'thump, thump, thump' just above idle. It only happens in a drive gear. I took it to an independent who checked the tightness of the bolts and looked for cracks in the plate to no avail. If anyone has any ideas or experience, please post. I have the compelling image of dollar bills with wings on them flying away!

-David
  • Options
    rvk2rvk2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 1500 silverado. The heater motor only works on the high setting and sometimes the engine stalls when you turn on the heater motor to a certian spot.
  • Options
    claven1claven1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had 3 incidents of plugged fuel injectors since October of last year. I have a 1999 Silverado 4X4 2500 with a 6 liter engine.They seem to be getting a fine granular black powder in them. My car is fuel injected also,and I buy gas at the same place and it dosen't effect my car. This time I pulled the tank and cleaned it, pulled the fuel rails and injectors and had them cleaned and checked,cleaned the fuel line back to the tank, replaced the inline filter. Any other ideas?????
  • Options
    tony69tony69 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 02 silverado 2WD in June with 56k and now at 72k the transmission failed (torque converter & pump apparently) I haven't carried a load or pulled a trailer with it. Neither GM or my dealer feel they can do anything for me leaving me very frustrated (and poorer) Has anyone had simalar problems
  • Options
    chevy76chevy76 Member Posts: 1
    Bill,

I'm not sure if you have fixed this yet or not, but it sounds similiar to what happened to my 2003 1500. It was a very basic warranty fix, i think it took them about an hour tops. If you look at your steering column under the hood, you should see a small section of it that looks like a connection of some sort. This part seems to fail causing the sound you hear when at low speeds, for me it was mostly when I turned left. Anyway, they should fix this under warranty. Hope that helps...good luck
  • Options
    boomer43boomer43 Member Posts: 2
    Does the 04 Silverado HD 8100 and the Duromax use the same muffler?
  • Options
    chevrock22chevrock22 Member Posts: 2
    hmm
  • Options
    jheinen54jheinen54 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. I get the same noise once I get to 70 mph. I also have a bug deflector. How's a guy to fix that problem without removing the bug deflector?
  • Options
    jheinen54jheinen54 Member Posts: 3
    What's a "TSB"?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin... a diagnosis and repair bulletin issued by the manufacturer for common problems to a specific make/model.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    lane4lane4 Member Posts: 1
    Bill
    I have the exact same problem with my 2003 that I just bought :mad: and if you can tell me what happened with yours (if you got it fixed) it would be a great help. I printed out your email of the problem to give to the dealership when I take it back in (again). I am going to wait until I see what you say because the dealership doesn't think it's a problem. My truck os still under warranty. They say it is just a normal thing that is with a lot of Silverado 3/4 ton trucks!
    Thanks,
    Cate
  • Options
    hank571hank571 Member Posts: 1
    Good luck with another dealer, I have the same problem and have been to the dealer three times now. Same answer "can not duplicate customer concern". But I can take them on a test drive and make it clunk, and they say it is normal. But it only happens in 2nd to 3rd and back to 2nd. After reading several posts on here I believe GM doesn't want to fix this problem as there are to many for them to fix and they are going broke now.
  • Options
    wingsh00terwingsh00ter Member Posts: 9
    NHTSA - Complaint Website to search and complain.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

the main link is www.nhtsa.com then click on "recalls" (top middle of page).

You can search for all other recalls and file complaints. You should have received a recall letter. Just curious after, if it fixes your issue or whether you get the same run around about the hub assembly being the issue and them refusing to help.

Thanks,

Norm
  • Options
    jeffbondjeffbond Member Posts: 16
    Go to the dealer and order a fan speed resistor, its about 35 bucks and pop the new one in and you are set.
  • Options
    halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    Well, that was 5 months ago, and after several trips to the dealer, the problem still exists. I, like you, have been told it is normal. In addition to the transmission clunk, I have had the driveline removed and lubed 3 times at the trani and rear-end because the rear-end also clunked when cold. This is always a temporary fix as I amd told "some clunking is normal". I have since had several steering related issues, recently had the power steering pump and gear box replaced (I'm told "big bucks" if not warranty), A/C issues, brakes, molding, rear door rattles etc...the list goes on. All this with 16K miles...yikes. All these problems have told me one thing, as much as I'd like to remain Bow-Tie loyal. This is the last straw, my 99 Suburban was a POS, now this. It's time to move on, I don't know to what, I have 18 months until the warranty runs out. :cry:
  • Options
    mkirschmkirsch Member Posts: 1
    The security system idiot light on my 2003 Silverado came on twice today as I was driving. When I shut the truck off and restart it, the light is gone.

What's very strange is that the truck doesn't have the optional security system. Does anyone know why the light is coming on?
  • Options
    tcr1tcr1 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, daylight running lights work and tail and dash lights, but when you turn on the headlights, the low beams go out. doesn't seem to effect the highbeams, as they still work, any ideasu
  • Options
    lardaddylardaddy Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem around 84,000 miles. The U-joint bearings were going. Replaced both for 150.00
  • Options
    firesourcefiresource Member Posts: 17
    Well Cate - wish I had good news, however I don't

Here's the recap:
    * 05' Crew Cab 1/2 Ton >>> noise in driver's side front end, noticeable whenever you are on uneven pavement / hit a bump / go in and out of a driveway / etc.
    * First dealer visit ---- replaced shock on driver's side >>> this did not fix the problem
    * Second dealer visit ---- 3 mechanics looked at the issue for 3 working day, replaced intermediate steering shaft --- did not fix the problem
    * Third dealer visit --- several more mechanics worked on the truck for 4 business days, replaced the insulators in the front body mounts, then replaced the body mounts themselves --- this did not fix the problem

I have <9500 miles on this truck, and am very frustrated. At this point, I don't know what to do.

The service mgr has over 30 yrs with Chevy. He heard the problem originally, and after all the repairs, drove the truck himself and assured me it was fixed. The problem is not fixed, and I'm disappointed that I'm driving a brand new truck that rattles whenever I'm on uneven pavement. This IS NOT what I expected from a Chevy Truck. It's the 3rd I've had since 1999, and by far --- the most troublesome.

Anyone have ideas on how I should proceed? They claim they will "call the TAC center" again and try to work something out. Maybe it's me --- but if 4 mechanics, including the service mgr worked on the truck for a total of 8 days and could not fix the problem, how is a TAC engineer going to troubleshoot / find a solution simply by looking at a transcript of their notes via email?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thank you.
  • Options
    450hpduramax450hpduramax Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Chevy Duramax/Allison 5 speed and have a bad vibration starting at 70 mph and is worst at 80 mph. Any ideas. New tires have been balanced & rotated.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    There is always the Lemon Law :lemon: if your state has one....... I'd say you qualify as long as you have all the paper work.

Ray T.
  • Options
    rjanes1rjanes1 Member Posts: 1
    what is covered - my truck is 2001 hd 8.1 -and it comes under light duty truck with heavy duty gasoline engine-5yrs or 50000 miles warranty. chev. says nothing is covered under that. so why is it in warranty book. anybody know any thing about that
  • Options
    thanks guys for the info now for the next question the instuctions tell you to splice the brown wire into cavity d of circuit 241 on the engine side of connector c120 with splicing procedure in section 8a (electrical diagnosis repair procedures)in the service manual. Can you help me with this as i do not have the dealer service manual but i did see an empty socket in the connector that i think they are talking about.
  • Options
    R Cherry...............Post your e-mail addy in your
    profile (NOT in this post or the spam bots will get it).

Can send ya instructions/pics on where to find easy
    installation tips............
  • Options
    thanks geo9 please be a little patient with me I'm new to using forum sites and I need a little guidance. Send me what you have.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I feel for you. Your post makes me seriously reconsider buying any GM vehicle. I have a hefty GM card rebate, and I was seriously considering buying an 05 or 06 crew cab Silverado, but....

You say that you also owned a POS Suburban. Two strikes in a row. Which means that many of these vehicles have problems.
  • Options
    geo9 you can check my profile for my e-mail and send the info.
  • Options
    Its gotta BE the brown wire huh?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You mean you're going to give up your '89 Nissan Hardbody? for a GM? No way.....with that kind of success I'd be looking at a Frontier or Titan.... :P
  • Options
    I installed the actuator,wiring harness and spliced the brown wire as per instucted only one problem. The four wheel drive still does not engage, any suggestions?
  • Options
    elmariachielmariachi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 chevy Silverado and the 5th gear doesn't respond when I'm on the road .
    What could be the problem?
  • Options
    lando2000lando2000 Member Posts: 6
    I have this same problem. 2000 sil 4x4 Just put on new tires, had a front & rear wheel bearing changed.. now virbation occurs. It is not the new tires!
  • Options
    lando2000lando2000 Member Posts: 6
    HELP HELP HELP.. I'm in the same boat. Its like a rolling vibration.. I find ONLY when the gas is applied at those speeds. Did U joints, did wheel bearings, did new tires..

I'm tired of all this..
  • Options
    cas109cas109 Member Posts: 1
    OK...this is a strange one, I will bring my truck up to running temp by driving it around for 15-20 mins until the cab is warm and the heater is blowing hot air. If I stop (lets say, the wife runs into the store for about 10min) and I keep the truck running at an idle it will no longer blow hot air, just cold. about 30 sec. after the truck is under motion it will again blow hot air.. There have been no modifications done to any part of this truck. I bought it in April of this year so not sure if it has always been this way.
  • Options
    Did you check for power at the unit ? Is the new
    unit wired correctly?
  • Options
    roughneckroughneck Member Posts: 21
    I have had something similar to that happen to me. It was caused by an antifreeze leak. Every time the coolant started to get low it would blow cold air and then hot when the truck was moving. Maybe check for leaks and fluid level.
  • Options
    redneck2redneck2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1993 chevy 1500, 350, and for some reason it keeps overheating. i've changed out the thermostat, the radiator hose, the radiator cap,and it has a brand new water pump on it. there is no water in my oil, so i figure it is not a head gasket. i can still squeeze the hoseand you can see the water flowing through the radiator. it just started doing this this morning. i turned on the heater and about a mile later my heater went cold and the temp gage was at 220-230. can someone please help me figure this out?
  • Options
    crowbar2crowbar2 Member Posts: 1
    My 02 Silverado's message center has "security" showing part of the time now. I didn't worry too much until last night while the wife was driving (me passenger)the electrical system shut down, all lights went off, etc. It was a frightening experience for us both. We tried to stop quickly along side of road. Truck was still running but by killing and restarting we were back in business. I've read about he key thing, "Pass lock" is referred to in the owners manual, etc. Is there a simple fix for this? Is there a relay or something that needs to be replaced? If this had happened on a curve, we may both be dead by now.
    Chevy surely has had a lawsuit or two on this by now?
    crowbar2
  • Options
    jumokejumoke Member Posts: 2
    If it has a two piece drive shaft have it checked on the truck for proper balance.
This discussion has been closed.