Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Detroit Auto Show: 2016 Cadillac CTS-V (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Cadillac
image2015 Detroit Auto Show: 2016 Cadillac CTS-V (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

Get ready for a 200-mph Cadillac, as the 640-horsepower 2016 CTS-V aims to surpass its German super-sedan rivals.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    No wagon? Boo! No manual too? Hiss! That said, it looks so much nicer than the previous gen. The only thing for me to get over is the whole GM association...
  • Options
    1krider11krider1 Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2014

NO AWD = FAIL
    NO DCT = FAIL
    NO STICKSHIFT = STUPIDITY
    AWD is necessary in a performance sedan, especially when big and heavy. That new A8 automatic from a pickup truck has terrible lag when manually shifting and a torque converter has no place in a performance car. AWD+DCT is a modern drivetrain. GM is competing with the Germans.... from 10 years ago. This car is a fail . The only GM product that has not proven to be a failure is the 2016 Camaro. It better be 3,600lbs with a LT1 and a 7spd with a interior that you can see out of and that doesn't look terrible while retaining the current 1ss price. RWD+STICKSHIFT+V8 is the ONLY thing GM does well.
  • Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    "....this CTS-V has a 220-hp advantage over the Audi S6, an 80-hp edge over the BMW M5 and outguns the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S by 63 horses."...."It's also nearly 250 pounds trimmer than the Audi S6 and BMW M5 and 131 pounds lighter than the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S." - Very impressive. I look forward to a full road test and comparison test.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    1krider1 said:

NO AWD = FAIL
    NO DCT = FAIL
    NO STICKSHIFT = STUPIDITY
    AWD is necessary in a performance sedan, especially when big and heavy. That new A8 automatic from a pickup truck has terrible lag when manually shifting and a torque converter has no place in a performance car. AWD+DCT is a modern drivetrain. GM is competing with the Germans.... from 10 years ago. This car is a fail . The only GM product that has not proven to be a failure is the 2016 Camaro. It better be 3,600lbs with a LT1 and a 7spd with a interior that you can see out of and that doesn't look terrible while retaining the current 1ss price. RWD+STICKSHIFT+V8 is the ONLY thing GM does well.

AWD is a crutch, it is a nice option but a requirement? I think not.

I would have liked to see a DCT/DSG tranmission since a manual won't be available, but then GM has no real experience with them and I suspect they didn't want to risk that the only transmission available on their halo sedan didn't perform well. A conventional automatic can be very effective when done right, so I will reserve judgement until Edmunds can actual do a full road and instrument test. Even better add one to the long term stable.

A manual option would have been nice, but the take rate for the prior version was likely small and GM didn't want to spend the money on the various certifications plus additional engineering required for a car that is going to sell in such small numbers.

I will miss the wagon, but as with the manual I understand why they aren't offering one.
  • Options
    gtrguy2012gtrguy2012 Member Posts: 14
    LOL the S6 isn't competition for this car... the RS7 is. Or maybe the RS6 but that isn't sold here.
    Although it looks much better than the last gen POS CTSv, it's only selling point is the imsense HP/TQ advantage it has over its competitors. Can't wait to see how it measures up against the Germans.

The only problem I see is that MMI. That horrible CUVE or whatever its called with its horrible touch buttons is a disgrace.
  • Options
    mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2014
    Boo for no manual....

zero to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds is fantastic for a larger car sure. But you can get a few cars that go 0-60 in 4.5 for as low as $35k, even some big cars like the Challenger.
    But for those that equate Cadillac with prestige and luxury, and that sure is not everybody... this car might be worth it for them.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    No stick doesn't matter, it doesn't matter to the competition. I suspect a lot of people who buy these can't drive one anyway. This is the most meaningful competitor yet to the segment-owning E63 and M5. Caddy entering the game will only make things better. Cool car.
  • Options
    rockcrawler11rockcrawler11 Member Posts: 11
    If anything the stick shift is a anti theft device nowadays, if the 8spd and chassis is as good as GM's recent run of track/street cars then there will be shivers down spines across the Atlantic.
  • Options
    gtrguy2012gtrguy2012 Member Posts: 14
    fintail said:

No stick doesn't matter, it doesn't matter to the competition. I suspect a lot of people who buy these can't drive one anyway. This is the most meaningful competitor yet to the segment-owning E63 and M5. Caddy entering the game will only make things better. Cool car.

I agree, that's probably the biggest reason I like this car. Because it will force the Germans to do that much better with their next model year.
  • Options
    gpgoldengpgolden Member Posts: 6

LOL the S6 isn't competition for this car... the RS7 is. Or maybe the RS6 but that isn't sold here.
    Although it looks much better than the last gen POS CTSv, it's only selling point is the imsense HP/TQ advantage it has over its competitors. Can't wait to see how it measures up against the Germans.

The only problem I see is that MMI. That horrible CUVE or whatever its called with its horrible touch buttons is a disgrace.

Agreed. How can Edmunds not know the S6 is not comp for the V. Maybe the V-Sport.
  • Options
    carlustcarlust Member Posts: 1
    No AWD is a deal killer for me. TOO BAD as I love this car and I can afford it. Listen up Cadillac and put AWD in this!!!!