Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

New Car Advice

respect4autosrespect4autos Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in General
Hello to all members of the Edmunds forum community.

I've been a fan of Edmunds ever since I caught sight of their glossy magazines when I was a young buck! I'm glad there's a community of folks with subject matter expertise that can help me out in this perplexing decision about what kind of car to buy, and when/where.

ME: I'm a young man in his early thirties and recently moved to Minnesota. I moved from a city in the Northeast US where I hardly ever drove. I had a hand-me-down vehicle that I took with me to Minnesota.

Car: I'm driving a black 1998 Toyota Camry. Surprisingly, it only has 133,600 miles. It was bought new by my mother and handed down to me. No accidents ever. Only point A to point B. 7 mile distance from home to work, and an occassional summer road trip to the beach (2-3 hours). Everything is up to date (new timing belt/struts/wheel bearing/rear stray bar/tires) according to recommended intervals. There are no funny lights (check engine,etc) or anything wrong. No leaks.

What I'm looking for: So, I'm a practical guy. I just want a good, reliable car that feels smooth and won't give me maintenance problems if I take care of it (I'm a stickler for regular maintenance and preventative care). Here are some things I'd like to consider:

AWD - Since I live in Minnesota now, something that can handle snow real well would be great.

Gas mileage - I want something with good fuel economy. If it meets my budget, a hybrid engine would be cool with me.

6-Cylinder engine - I think this is the right number for me. 4 lacks the power I want and 8 consumes too much gas IMO.

Manual Transmission - I've missed driving stick ever since I drove a Jetta. Now that I live in a city with flat terrain and no real traffic issues, I would like my next car to be a manual.

Used/New - No big preference towards one or the other. New probably has better financing though.

Type: Either an SUV or Sedan. I'm a big guy (weightlifter) and the Camry is comically incongruent with that.

Extras: I'd probably go with some premium options, depending on the cost. Since I'm leaning away from a luxury car due to likely expensive maintenance costs and budgetary reasons, I will probably go with a premium option for whatever I get.

Budget: I'd like to sell/trade-in my car as a down payment on a new one and take advantage of financing. I have good credit and can probably get a 0% loan from the dealer if those are available.

Pretty wide range. I guess $250 - $500/month up to 5 years. The lower the better.

I'd also be interested in possibly leasing but lean towards owning.

Car experience: I used to drive a 2007 VW Jetta in 2006. It was a nice entry-level German car. I loved the handling and generally fun nature of the drive, but I've also heard they run into problems (electrical and otherwise) around the 50-60K mile mark. That's not good for me.

I also drove a fully loaded Nissan Altima (1995 model) and that was cool at the time. They've come a long way since.

I'd be open to a whole host of makes. From the Asian end of the spectrum (Toyota/Hyundai/Honda/Nissan).

For American/European it's really wide open. Whatever meets my needs.

Thanks for your help and input! I appreciate the collective wisdom in this community! :)

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited January 2015
    I guess $250 - $500/month up to 5 years.

Up too?

That's what a salesperson is going to ask you. Suddenly you're not looking at $250 a month but $550. Sneaky way of bumping you up in price.

The way to go about this is to decide on a car and then talk price, not payments. If the price is right, the payments will be too. May as well get pre-qualified too. Most dealers will be able to beat the rate you'll get but it's good info to know.

Our Car Finder may help a bit, but I think you need to go visit some dealers. Hopefully you'll find one or two "real" salespeople who can help you narrow your selections down a bit.

You're in Subaru country so you may want to start with the Forester (it's really still a wagon in my mind but the size had grown over the years). The CR-Vs sell well, as do the Escapes and the CX-5 is "sporty".

Someone else will have to jump in with sedans.

Oh, and welcome!