Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hitchin' a ride, Ford Escape Tow Package

leafz3nleafz3n Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Ford
Hi all,

New to the forums here, just purchased a 2006 Ford Escape XLT last night after my Blazer took a dive the other day…It has 112,00 miles on it and no known issues. The seller told me the transmission was replaced around 100,000 miles (no documentation). I have a question for all you wonderful car people, hoping you can help…

The Escape I bought has a tow package, with a tow hitch on the back… There is a possibility that in the next 2 or 3 months my roommate and I may be moving across the country (San Diego-->New York City). My plan is to fill it with all my belongings, which is just the basics… clothes, heavy boxes, and a bed strapped to the roof racks.. Chances are it will be maxed out with stuff. My roommate would like me to let him get a small trailer and hitch it to the back with his stuff in it. My concern is that this will be too much weight for the car and that I will either damage the car, or even worse, break down in the middle of Texas somewhere lol…

Am I just being overly cautious? Is the car "designed for that kind of thing"? I have very little knowledge about the inner workings of the vehicle and want to protect it at all costs, because I wont be able to afford to get a new one or spend a bunch of $ in repairs.

Let me know if you have any questions I will do my best to answer.. Hoping you guys can shine some light on this..

Thanks!
Kellen

Comments

• leafz3nleafz3n Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    I should also mention, its has 4x4 and is a V6… and the trip would be about 4-5 days @ 10 hrs a day