Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Fuel Economy Update for December - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited January 2015 in Chevrolet
imageFuel Economy Update for December - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

After two months in the fleet, our 2015 Chevrolet Colorado is edging closer to its advertised mileage ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• g35bufg35buf Posts: 89
    Not trying to pile on or be a jerk, but this is 'as suspected'...I catch crap about my 2010 Ridgeline (same class of vehicle) being rated at 15 city/20 hwy but I average 17.5 in mixed/mostly city driving. The reality is - and has been - GM inflates MPG rating much like Hyundai was...The Germans are conservative and not surprised the Passat got its stated mpg. My wife's 19/25 rated VW Tiguan gets a true 22.5 mpg in mixed driving. These new GM mid-sizers are just sitting on the lots here in Western NY. People buy full sized trucks with a little less equipment for the same cost and only get 1-2 mpg less...
  • This mileage seems a bit low, but time will tell. My 14 Sierra 5.3 4x4 with small lift and 34 inch tires has averaged 20 overall after 37K miles, actually better than its 16/22 (18 combined) EPA rating. We are on the upper end with our Odyssey, too. To the guy with the Ridgeline: trucks, in general, lose more mileage at high speed than sedans/vans, so no surprise that the same drivetrain in the Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline gets progressively worse mileage. Does my Sierra have a 33% more efficient drivetrain than my Tundra? Yes, but they're both still trucks that will suck fuel above 70. People who want a smaller truck will buy a midsize, but as you said, a full size for comparable $$ and only slightly lower (or in my case better) mileage is a better value, which is why I have a Sierra and not a Ridgeline.
  • g35bufg35buf Posts: 89
    dan_acosta - Agree there is no bending of the physics of aerodynamics. The Ridgeline and most pickups have the air flow characteristics of a brick. I have gotten a true 22 mpg+ on highway jaunts with the Ridgeline but as you probably see - the same basic powertrain in an Ody produces better numbers due to shape alone. I use truck capabilities - tow a 4,800 lb boat and other stuff and load the bed with 1,000 lbs, so I wouldn't mind a full size...Just don't want to park a full size crew cab as a daily driver. Also, the full size I'd buy - a RAM1500 Ecodiesel - is VERY expensive when speced out like my Ridgeline RTL with nav.