Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Stalling Issues

nipomo_mechnipomo_mech Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in GMC
Hey y'all,
I'm helping a friend out with his 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 w/ 4.8 VorTec engine(recently bought used) approx. current mileage: 90,000. It began to stall about 2 weeks ago and yesterday after picking it up from the shop, it stalled in the middle of an intersection after a red light. When it stalled, he described it as, "it started shaking and shuttering. All the electronics shut off and it took about 15 minutes for it fire back up."
I pretty much have it narrowed down to 3 possible issues; crank shaft position sensor, idle air sensor, altitude sensor. I know that all 3 of those possibilities will not immediately produce an error code, if one at all. I hooked my code reader up to it anyway and I got nothing out of it. These are all fairly probable causes for it to stall. From his description, I am leaning towards the crank shaft position sensor. But why would the crank shaft position sensor cause the electronics to shut down with the ignition on?
So far I haven't found any issues with the alternator or transmission(that would cause it to stall).
Does anyone have some advice to throw my way, besides cleaning/testing the sensors and checking the grounds(basic initial diagnosis steps).
All other suggestions of what to look for will be helpful. Thanks.