Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty Growling Noise

harold39harold39 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Jeep
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7 in it, 82,000 miles, and new tires as of a month or so ago. Lately it has been making a really loud growing sound when you step on the gas, this also causes the whole vehicle to shake. The weird thing is, it does it when I'm in park or neutral as well, not just when accelerating. If you're going 60 down the highway and let off the accelerator the noise goes away. There's enough oil in there, it seems to shift just fine as well, the drive shafts and drive axles are tight, there's no play in them, I have no idea what the problem could be.

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2015
    Perhaps something with a motor mount, since it does it when you step on the gas and it's not in gear. The entire engine may be moving and causing the noise. Taking your foot off the gas at 60 mph and not having the engine under acceleration fits this thought too.
    The guy who posted this video doesn't replicate the noise, but what's happening with his Jeep is a broken mount is causing the fan to actually hit the radiator. Under acceleration, a vibrating engine would make some interesting noises if it rubbed up against anything, and a "growl" might be something you'd hear even if it's just the motor mount sort of banging against itself

Here's another with a Ford Focus with a broken mount making a noise that some may describe as a growl.

Sound similar?
  • Options
    harold39harold39 Member Posts: 2
    @PF_Flyer‌ on previous vehicles that I've had the sound that a bad motor mount makes was so much different. Guess I didn't really think about that. I'll jack it up and see if it still makes the noise or not. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2015
    Poking around for videos trying to demonstrate motor mount noise, there was a wide range of sounds. Anything from a scratching or a whine to a rumble/growl. I guess it just depends where and what is being vibrated. Let us know how it all come out!