Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Detroit Auto Show: 2016 Toyota Tacoma (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Toyota
image2015 Detroit Auto Show: 2016 Toyota Tacoma (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

The 2016 Toyota Tacoma gets an all-new look along with a more efficient V6 and new technology on the inside.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    FAQ - Will "Rear Drum Brakes" carry over for 2015? I have not read anything conclusive about the brakes? Almost like it's being avoided? I think if it had 4-wheel disc, it would have been mentioned at this point. Any info? Please post here! So far looking good, great interior. Sweet moon roof!
  • rayray633rayray633 Member Posts: 3
    doesn't look like there are any rear calipers in the profile pictures.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2015
    I prefer 'em myself - in my experience rear drums last forever and rarely need work done on them.

"The truth is that today's disc/drum setups are completely adequate for the majority of new cars. Remember that both disc and drum brake design has been vastly improved in the last 20 years. In fact, the current rear drum brake systems on today's cars would provide better stopping performance then the front disc setups of the '70s. And today's front disc brakes are truly exceptional in terms of stopping power. Combined with the fact that between 60 and 90 percent of a vehicle's stopping power comes from the front wheels, it's clear that a well-designed, modern drum brake is all that's required for most rear wheel brake duty."

Brakes: Drum vs. Disc
  • pnw_skierpnw_skier Member Posts: 1
    According to Pickuptrucks.com the rear drum brakes will remain but will not be carryover. They will feature a new vacuum booster and a new antilock braking system to improve how the brakes feel, reduce fade and improve stopping distance.

-- Mike Sweers, Toyota Tacoma chief engineer said:
    "Based on these changes and the proven durability of our braking system, the disc/drum was determined to meet all of our criterial for on- and off-road performance and maintain proper brake surface temperatures," he said. "Bottom line is that disc/drum or disc/disc setup will give you similar performance and stopping distance based on system cooling and/or temperature buildup. Disc brakes provide better cooling and reduced mass over drum systems. Drums provide less exposed braking surface and less brake vibration due to braking surface flatness [rotor warping] concerns resulting from overheating of surface."
  • cruisecontrol9cruisecontrol9 Member Posts: 2
    I think wireless phone charging is a pretty cool feature. Will be curious to see the exact pricing, but I guess it will stay in the same range.
    We have been selling, installing and troubleshooting cruise controls for over 25 years. http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com