Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Superior Adaptive Cruise Control - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Jeep
imageSuperior Adaptive Cruise Control - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Notes on adaptive cruise control (ACC) as Edmunds editor James Riswick sets out in the long-term 2014 Jeep Cherokee to a place far better suited to its capabilities: snowy Oregon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2015
    EXCELLENT post!

Unrelated, to answer the question, "could the parking and lane departure system really be THAT much?" Yes. Yes it could, easily.

"*IS* it really that much?" No idea.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    The adaptive cruise control function on my '14 Fusion Titanium works similarly well. I set it for the middle following distance for interstate driving, closest distance for 2 lanes. The one area that the system does freak out is on 2 lane roads when someone you are following is turning right. They system sometimes throws out the boat anchor thinking you are about to hit the rapidly decelerating car ahead of you that I can clearly see will be safely out of the way. All in all, I like the system better than standard CC.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Very informative and useful post James. We need more like this. Thanks. :)
  • smrtypants44smrtypants44 Member Posts: 25
    The only reason that package is $195 in the challenger is that you built one with a manual transmission where ACC/collision warning arent available. If you spec out an 8AT challenger the package is $995.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Thank you for reviewing the Adaptive Cruise Control - one of the most exciting technologies coming out. It still sounds like, despite being a 10/10 rating, that its still far from perfect. Maybe that's too high of expectations, but I'm still waiting for the technology to reach the point where you can really relax on the highway knowing the system is in control. Maybe Tesla will bring that.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Guess I am just not driving under circumstances where I need something like this, but I don't have adaptive cruise; my wife's Sienna had it, her Fiesta Titanium does NOT have it...and neither of us miss it at all. I think it's something that facilitates driver inattention.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    This is what happens when American engineers are allowed to design and program the ACC for American drivers on American roads without much interference from lawyers.
  • joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    In an older article about ACC, I posted that I like this feature but hated that it couldn't be turned off in my 2013 300. Well, it took me 15 months to realize that the "MODE" button in the steering wheel cluster does not change radio settings, but actually activates/deactivates the system. Now I like the feature even more. And, no, I'm not blonde.
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    Thank you for a post that actually says something good about ACC. I first drove a car with ACC in Germany in 2001(a client's Mercedes S-class) and was blown away by this technology. I've always been a big fan of cruise control in general after some long days of highway driving in vehicles without any CC led to fatigue and cramping in my legs. CC, and especially ACC, are valuable safety features. I am amazed at people critical of these technologies as promoters of driver inattention. What rubbish! Reminds me of all the whining back in the '80s in car mags about ABS, and then the same carping about airbags after that. The less things one is doing mean less distractions from scanning the road ahead. CC and ACC free up the driver to concentrate on the road MORE. If a driver fails to do so, that's the driver's fault, not the technology's. Also, no one is more distracted than the driver who is nodding off after a long day of fighting traffic on a road trip.

We had an early laser version of ACC on our 2006 Sienna minivan, and I arrived far fresher at the end of long holiday drives than I did in cars with just the standard CC. I can tell you that I consider ACC a must have option and would not even consider a vehicle that doesn't have full-range ACC(goes to a complete stop).

We are replacing my old '99 Grand Cherokee with a 2015 Cherokee Limited(due to arrive at the dealer in the next few days) and we are excited. I drove the Cherokee, Forester and CR-V with ACC before ordring, and not only was the Jeep the most luxurious, solid-feeling, and quietest, and best riding of the three, it's ACC was easily better than the others. My brother has a 2013 Infiniti QX56 and the ACC on the Cherokee is superior to the one on that $70K truck.
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2015
  • daveinetdaveinet Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk. At speeds less than 60 mph, the maximum distance setting is still too close. It does not meet the minimum 2 second rule. I have tested the space to be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 seconds. This is unsafe, as it forces you to tailgate. At speeds of 65 mph and above, the spacing is very good.