Checking the Oil From the Driver Seat - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,138
edited January 2015 in BMW
imageChecking the Oil From the Driver Seat - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

I just checked the oil in our long-term 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo from the driver seat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    I'd still rather have a traditional dipstick. Even on my old RX-8 which had a poorly placed dipstick (short handle and next to exhaust manifold). For me, a physical check will always trump a digital check, regardless of the weather or the need for a rag.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I'd rather have a digital one PRESUMING that its:

a) Accurate
    b) Reliable (not a sensor you have to replace at 50k)

The dipstick is fine, but sometimes it'd be nice to not have to pop open the hood, find a dirty cloth and check it and slam the hood back down. Not a deal breaker, but would be a nice luxury. Our i30 has the worst dipstick ever and has bumps in the middle that make it impossible to figure out the oil level.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Why can't you have both?
  • bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    OK - does not tell you much. I would rather prefer something like: 40% between min/max level. This way you can estimate if you'll need the oil soon...