Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Automatic transmission locks up

lasvegas1lasvegas1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a low miliage 1998 Mustang GT with a 4 speed automatic transmission. It doesn't shift from Park to Reverse or Park to Drive as cleanly as I think it should. Something seems to be hanging up in the shifter handle. I believe there is some type of safety interconnect device between the brake pedal and the shifting lever that is the root of the problem. This problem is getting worse and I am concerned that eventually I will not be able to get the transmission out of Park. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Do I need to shoot some WD-40 around the button you depress to move the shifting lever?

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    it's called the brake/shift interlock. It can become dirty, both at the pedal and at the shifter. The interlock is actually a solenoid that allows a gate to drop and allows you to move the shifter.

I would pull the shifter cover off and lubricate the moving parts - WD-40 dissipates too quickly and doesn't hang around, so I'd use one of the foamy lithium spray lubes or 3n1 oil. Hopefully, that will correct the problem.
  • tex92tex92 Member Posts: 1
    I had this similair problem with an older mustang, it took a couple of days for me to figure out I had no brake lights. I hope this helps Good Luck.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    It's a good habit to minimize the pressure you place on the park position with the weight of the vehicle. When you routinely place the vehicle in park, precede that by going to neutral with your foot on the brake, then set the emergency, then proceed to put the transmission in park. Some say that this is a preventive action that will extend the service life of the tranny.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    the signal for brake down is derived from the "high" tail lights, on the "cold" side of the bulb. if you don't replace these when they eventually burn out, you LOSE the interlock... that is, no need to step on the brake pedal, just shift into gear and mow 'em down.
This discussion has been closed.