Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

External Head Gasket Leak

kerk_outkerk_out Member Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in Nissan
I own a 2010 3.5L Nissan Altima SR. It currently has 59550 miles. On July 15, 2014 on the advice of my mechanic, I took it to a dealership (52,146 miles) to have a head gasket leak repaired. The dealership told me they could not find any leaks. I took my car back to my mechanic on January 8, 2015 (59,393 miles) for an oil change and asked him to check the head gasket again. I also asked him to take pictures this time if the leak was still there. He took pictures and told me the leak had worsened since he saw it in July. I took my car (with pictures) back to the same dealership on January 13, 2015 and this time they admitted there was a leak but cited Nissan bulletin #NTB14-057 and said the leak did not qualify for repair. My mechanic could not believe this and asked me to get a second opinion from another dealership. I took my car (with pictures) to a second dealership on January 18, 2015 and this dealership cited the same bulletin from Nissan and told me they could not authorize a repair. They did however advise me to open a Nissan consumer affairs case. I opened a case on January 19, 2015 and after some back and forth with the Nissan representative my case was closed on January 26, 2015. I was told my case was closed because two separate dealerships had conducted an inspection and deemed my car did not qualify for repair. In my estimation, the dealerships did not repair my car because they were able to cower behind the bulletin. The Nissan consumer affairs department did not authorize repair of my car because they were able to cower behind the dealerships diagnosis. It’s a pretty sweet setup they have but I’m wondering if there’s anyone out there who can help? As you know this is a costly repair and I only have ~450 miles until I’m out of warranty. Can I fight this from another angle? Can I get an independent review of my situation outside of the Nissan/Dealership loop that I’m in? I’m obviously not real happy with Nissan, but I’m not in a position to sell my car. Thanks.