Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Sports Car Steering Wheel - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited February 2015 in Porsche

imageSports Car Steering Wheel - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

It may not be a sports car, but our 2015 Porsche Macan feels like one thanks to its on-road performance and the feel of its meaty steering wheel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Wood or carbon fiber-trimmed steering wheels can look good (like in this case), but I don't think I'd ever buy a car with one. Yeah, we all learned to hold the wheel at 10 and 2 (or 9 and 3, depending on who taught you to drive), but I normally hold my steering wheel at just off of center at the top or bottom, unless I'm taking an enthusiastic jaunt down a backroad or something. To me, the carbon fiber or wood is just too slippery and poses a safety hazard. Plus, it doesn't feel very confidence-inspiring compared to leather. I'd guess that a lot of other drivers don't hold their steering wheels at the sides, so wood or other trims aren't a great idea when leather provides more grip and security.

Also, the Macan probably has the most extensively-trimmed wheel I've ever seen. Most wood-trimmed steering wheels just have some trim at the top part of the rim (or in some cases, along the spokes, which is a good design), but the Macan almost looks as if it has a carbon fiver steering wheel with leather trim for your hands.