Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• Options
    speedysweetiespeedysweetie Member Posts: 1
    Hello all....Thought I would share an experience I had with my 05 Dodge Magnum, in the hopes it may help others. I bought a brand new 05 Magnum RT in early December 04. On Jan. 5th 2005, there were substantial rains here in Ohio where I live. I came to a 500 foot section of road that was covered with water. A little Pontiac Sunfire (that was lowered, no less) went through the stretch without a problem. I figured my big bad RT could make it through no problem. The road was up to 9" deep in spots, but you couldn't tell. I started through and got about halfway through when my car died. It wouldn't start up, and I called 911. Long story short, I sat there in my "dead in the water" RT for 45 minutes until someone came to push me out. By that time, the floor had 2" of water laying on it, and I was absolutely sick! My car only had 1500 miles on it! I had it towed back to the dealership where I bought it, and they were in shock that that little amount of water had caused the car to die. Well, it turns out the air intake tube snakes down through the left front fender and is only about 5" off the ground! This thing acts like a constant vacuum when the motor is running, so for the first 250' of driving through the water, I was sucking up 35 degree water into my motor, which caused it to hydrolock (the dealership estimated that 30 gallons went through the motor). The cold, 38 degree water on a 200 degree motor caused big problems, basically ruining the whole drivetrain. The dealership told me they could put a new drivetrain in it, but the warranty would be void, even with a crate motor. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! They also discovered that the water on the floor had found it's way into the airbag sensors that are mounted on the floor underneath the seats. Lucky for me, my husband is an employee in the body shop at the dealership where I bought the car, and as a result, he deals with our insurance adjuster quite often on other customer's cars. Between the dealership and the insurance adjuster working with us very well, they totaled the car, and reimbursed me for the purchase price. I ordered another Magnum identical to my first one, and I received it on January 20th, but I'm telling you all, I am afraid of water now! As a matter of fact, the first thing I did when I got home was to order an aftermarket K&N air intake for the car so it would be located at the top of the motor. It hasn't arrived yet, but I think the $190 for the new intake system is well worth it if it could save me from ruining another $30K car. Also, I took the car to the local car wash yesterday and just used the rinse spray on it (and stayed FAR away from the intake!!) I didn't even spray the grille area. I live only 2 1/2 miles from the car wash, and as I was coming home, I stopped in front of my mailbox before pulling into the driveway and the car stalled! I kind of panicked for a second, but put it back in park and it started right back up. But, then...I put it in reverse to move in my driveway, and although the lever physically moved to the "reverse" position, it did not engage (I gave the car gas and the RPMs went up, but wouldn't move...it stayed this way for about 5 seconds until I put the car back in park. I tried reverse again and it worked this time. It's run fine since then, but I can't help but to think that these cars have some electrical weakness when exposed to water. I'd be curious to hear from anyone else who might have experienced the same intake problem that I had, or any stalling issues. Despite the problem with the stalling and intake problem, I still love the Magnum. It's so retro cool and the motor's got great power, top end and acceleration. My husband doesn't care for the pause the transmission seems to have when moving from reverse to drive or park to drive. I noticed that both cars did that, and they both seemed to pull to the right, like I've seen others post about on this board. Anyhow, since hubby works at a Dodge dealership, I should be able to keep up with any TSB's or any issues that might come up with the car. I will be sure to pass any info on that I become privy to! Meanwhile, I plan on enjoying my Magnum to the fullest and hope you all do the same.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    One thinh about flooding...

Even if you want to go against better judgment and traverse standing water, never do it immeidately behind another vehicle. The wake they create will cause waves that make a significant difference in depth (depending on how fast they went through it), and those waves kicked up into wheelwells will get into any air intake. I drive a Dodge Ram 4x4 dually, and I can easily ride through 15 inches of standing water. But I always wait until the water has settled down from the vehicle in front of me.

Next time your Magnum is on stands or a lift, check where wiring and seals are, and determine where water spray could affect it (car wash), or how deep a flood may splash it. You may want to consider wrapping or sealing any such wiring to prevent further moisture issues.

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Speedysweetie: Sorry to hear of your mishap.

Thanks for the good advice. There has been much discussion of alternate air intakes on other forums, as several are now available, so there is no need to waste time trying to fabricate one.

Many cars have air intakes down below the air filter box, so avoiding standing water is always a good idea, plus there is no way to tell how deep it is (there could be an open manhole or whatever). Of course, always avoid moving/flowing water.

The pull to the right is and old issue with the early production cars, and was solved a long time ago.
  • Options
    jaki30jaki30 Member Posts: 73
    I, too, am toying with the FS and the Magnum. One question,,did you drive the 3.5L V-6 and compare it to the FS or just the RT?

I love the shape of the Magnum compared to the FS. I am a little nervous about buying a first year design (I bought a 1986 Sable when they came out).

Anybody care to comment on the 3.5L? I don't think I need the "Hemi".

Thanks.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Magnum has 5.6" ground clearance for 2WD and 6.6" for AWD models.

Driving through any significant amount of standing water is always risky. Driving through standing water that is higher than a vehicles ground clearance is asking for trouble.

Thankfully, you are OK and you were insured, hopefully not with same insurer I have;)

During the recent heavy rain there were several incidents of drivers driving around barricades and then becoming stalled in water. Two incidents where they were driving fast enough to hydroplane.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    250 HP and it drives like it has 250 HP. Very nice. To describe the Magnum with 3.5L in one word "Impressive". The Hemi is WOW, WOOO HOOO!
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Jaki30 - If you price the Magnum with the 3.5 V6 and with the HEMI, then compare the equipment which comes with, or is only available with, the HEMI, it seems that the HEMI only adds about $1,000 to the price. The gas mileage is essentially the same for all three - Magnum 3.5 V6, Magnum HEMI, and Freestyle. While you may not often need the extra power, it surely would be good to have it when you do need it - getting out of the way of something coming towards you, passing quickly and safely, hauling loads without bogging down, and so forth.

A Magnum SXT with the 3.5 V6 and options AFD comfort seating group, RC6 Boston Acoustics speakers, ADB protection group, RSP U-connect, AMU performance appearance group, RSA Sirius radio, and WPR 18" polished wheels has an invoice price of $27, 626.

A Magnum RT with options AHN convenience group II, AFC electronics convenience group, ADB protection group, RSP U-connect, and RSA Sirius radio has an invoice price of $30,842.

You can get the 3.5 V6 with the five speed automatic by buying the four wheel drive model. For 2006 the 5-speed Mercedes-Benz design automatic may be standard on all models, but for now the V6 RWD cars have the old Chrysler four speed automatic, and that makes those cars less desireable. The five speed would help with acceleration and mileage.
  • Options
    smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I'm planning to order a RWD RT. What do you think is a fair offer to make to the local dealers (I have 3 to choose from) with regard to cost? I was planning to ask that I get the invoice price and see what they say. Should I ask them to go into their holdback? I ordered an Intrepid ES in February 1999 and got it in 4 weeks, built just like I wanted it, at a little less than invoice.

Thanks for your input.

ES
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    They way the car is selling, I would stick with invoice and you keep any incentives that may be available. They make 3% on a car and you get what you want. A fair deal all around. I think you are pushing it to ask them to go into their holdback, but that is merely my opinion. Good luck. Your order will be for a 2006.
  • Options
    bricklayertxbricklayertx Member Posts: 20
    Bought a new RWD SXT over the weekend. Paid $100 under invoice plus received the $1,000 'loan rebate'. Plan to pay off the loan in 3 months.
  • Options
    Why a 2006? Are all the RWD 2005s already spoken for, even those not built? Would that mean a delivery date in September?
  • Options
    ddunlapddunlap Member Posts: 8
    I took delivery of my RT in early December 04 after a four month wait after ordering. On the delivery test drive, I noticed a slight pulling to the right, and advised the dealership reps. They immediately pulled it into the shop and performed service required by an existing technical service bulletin. Apparently this corrected the problem. I have not noticed it since. There has also been one "customer satisfaction" recall to perform a calibration to the gauge cluster. I hadn't noticed anything strange, but this also was accomplished within thirty minutes of my going to the dealership. I have noticed that I can't get the gas gauge to register "full", even if I try to put the last couple of gallons in the tank very very slowly. If I can't figure this out - back to the dealer!

Overall, I love the car - great handling and great power!
  • Options
    The order cut off date for 2005 300 and Magnum models passed in late January due to the enormous backlog of orders and bringing the new Charger on-line. The Charger is a 2006 model. As I understand it, all orders placed now will be for 2006 models with perhaps June at the earliest delivery. Check with your dealers but I think they will confirm this information. Most of us had to wait 3-5 months for delivery of the cars we ordered for 2005. Until demand slows down, things probably are not going to change much. That is why some greedy dealers in many parts of the US are getting MSRP+ for the cars they have in stock, especially the Hemi versions. With the Hemi now in the big pickups, Durangos, 300C, Magnum RT, Charger RT, and now the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Hemi supply is running pretty thin. My advice is to get your order in NOW if you want the car by summer! Mine took 5 months from order to delivery (May-Oct).
  • Options
    fuddfudd Member Posts: 1
    I understand that if you want to order the AWD RT it has to be an 06. Does anyone know what is changing for 06? For example, color offerings or additional features? Thanks in advance for any info.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information about the model year cutoff date with regard to ordering.
  • Options
    tlktlk Member Posts: 21
    My Magnum (AWD RT Hemi)has developed a shuddering growl (for lack of a better description) that seems to be coming from the front of the car when turning sharply in either direction - forward or back. The dealer initially was told by the factory that it was a power steering pump issue, but in closer evaluation, this proved not to be the cause. The dealer then inspected the CV joints and they appear OK. Next week, they are going into the front differential....Anyone else have this problem? I got the car on November 30 and already have 11K miles. Other than this issue, no problems - great car.
  • Options
    ddunlapddunlap Member Posts: 8
    I drove the "BIG" V6 and found it had all the power I needed. The only reason I opted for the RT was because I couldn't gat the options I wanted on the other model. Love the car, but the big V6 would have been plenty of power.
  • Options
    smolniksmolnik Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any info on removing the molding to swap out the radio? I am installing a 6 cd changer and mp3 player.
  • Options
    blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    on a bright silver Magnum RT last Thursday and got a better deal than antcipated. 450 over "invoice".

Other than a fair amount of FM fade with the upgraded unit(anyone else have this problem?)

no complaints...fit and finish are great...very little road/wind noise intrusion. Great car!

Cant wait to really get on it to see what it can do.
  • Options
    pjkadpjkad Member Posts: 21
    I'm considering an RT AWD order (I know it will be quite a wait). I've test driven one and the rear visibility is awkward. How bothersome is this for those of you who are owners?
  • Options
    It was an adjustment but I have had no problems. I simply turn my haead and look if what I am getting in the rear view mirror is not enough.
  • Options
    pjkad-

I second what hardhawk said- its a little bit of an adjustment-I find myself kinda "peering" around the headrest but between the mirrors and extra window I havent found it bothersome either.
  • Options
    I also concur. It takes some getting used to. IF you are accustomed to using mirrors, you should not have any problem at all. It is the turning around for a direct look that is problematic.
  • Options
    An update to the "growling" problem on my 11K mileage AWD HEMI. The dealer is replacing the front differential entirely. The tech sez the clutches in the differential are failing. His personal opinion (he has been around cars forever) is that the differential is not sufficiently robust to handle the horsepower generated by the HEMI. The dealer sez that there have been several problems of this type as the mileage approaches 10K. The problems have included at least two program cars that he is aware of. As more AWD HEMIs gain more miles, it is gonna get interesting...
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    billydbillyd Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping for the K&N 69-2526TP short ram intake. Has anyone found a better price than 249?..

Thanks
    BillyD
  • Options
    seadoosandiseadoosandi Member Posts: 19
    I don't find the rear visibility awkward at all.

SeadooSandi
  • Options
    donnak1donnak1 Member Posts: 39
    Wait until you hear this one!!!! I bought my Magnum last Sept. No, I did not get a hemi. Those days are long gone for me. I did get the big 6. My car is constantly drifting to the right and I I write this, it is in service for the 3rd time for the drift. Yes, they did the cradle adj. but it didn't correct it. The service manager took me for a ride in my car (didn't let ME drive tho), to show me how the drift is built into the design for safety. I asked him if he was saying that to cover Chyrsler's [non-permissible content removed] on this subject. (HA). He said that every manufacturer is doing this now. I imagine he figured he could get away with this because I'm a female. Mind you they used to call me Dirty Donna because I was always getting dirty helping my boyfriend work on his car-changing oil, rotating tires, changing plugs, etc. To make a short story long, he said he's take me to test drive any car, any manufacturer, and the car would drift to the right. Excuse me, Mr. Service Manager, but I've been driving for 40 years and have never run across this problem unless the right front tire was low. I love this car, but at this point, I am hoping to have Chrysler eat it just because of the way they B.S. everyone about the front end mistake they made. A friend of mine is a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer and said last year they had the same problem with the 300's. By the way, he told me never to bring my car to his dealer for the front end.
    Hope this will help.
    Donna
  • Options
    Could you please tell me how the right pull was solved so I can have mine fixed? Please don't tell me it was the cradle adjustment, because that didn't work for me. In fact, mine is in the shop for the 3rd time for this and it has less than 4K miles on it. They told me it was built into the design to keep you from having a head on collision. How stupid do they think I am? My car was built in June 2004.
    Donna
  • Options
    judescarjudescar Member Posts: 14
    If anyone finds out how to correct the pull to the right issue on the Magnum please let us know, my car is now in the shop for the third time and YES, I heard the "safety" bull.
    Judy
  • Options
    I bought a 2005 Magnum in october 2004 and have had it into the dealer 3 times and they have yet to fix it. If it was solved, please let me know what they did to correct the pulling to the right.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I went to 3 GM dealers, 1 Ford, 1 Toyota and all just about died laughing when I told them what my Dodge service manager told me. They basically want to know if I can sit down after what they did to me regarding the "safety" of the right drift to keep from having a head on collision. Well, I may get my Magnum out of the shop today if they can fix my sunroof. I'm sure they didn't even put it on the rack to check the drift. Well, this will be #3 that is documented. What will happen next...................?
    Donna
  • Options
    Judy, maybe you and I go to the same dealer. Do you live in the Chicago area?
    Donna
  • Options
    Donna,
    I am in Florida unfortunately, as I believe you and I together could get some straight answers.
    My car is at the dealer for the third time and this time they have it 2 days so far, I am anxious to hear what they have to say this time. Oh and by the way, when they told me about the "Safety" thing the second time, I had him write it on the service ticket....Alos, if you go to the forum on the Chrysler 300 you will find that they are having the same problem as it is the same chassis, just a different body.
  • Options
    You ladies need to go over the head of the service department and ask to speak to the general manager. If you get no satisfaction there then it is time to request a meeting with the Chrysler/Dodge Zone service rep for your part of the country. If still no satisfaction, call a lemon law attorney and invoke your state's lemon law. Document everything each step of the way. You have a right to a car that operates as it should. There are thousands of us out there with Magnums and 300's that do not pull to the right like yours does. It is amazing to me that some people still treat ladies who buys cars like they don't know what they are talking about. Stick to your guns and tell them they need to stop and smell what they are shoveling with respect to the right pull being there on purpose for your safety. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny! Another idea is to call the Consumer Protection Division of your state's Attorney General's office and ask them to investigate your case of consumer fraud on the part of your dealer's service department. That should get their attention. But, do set up a meeting with the dealership's genral manager first. You get more flies with honey than with a swatter. Sometimes, however, the swatter is the only thing that gets attention. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Thank you for having respect for us hardhawk. It's too bad that we paid so much for these cars to have to spend so much time be frustrated. In my case, I had the zone manager out to the dealer on my 2nd trip in for the "pull". They had the car for 2 weeks. The magnum I had a a loaner was a better car all around (tho it drifted too). It seemed tighter and a sounder car for some reason. The one they gave me this time, has the small 6, but it is looser, has more get up and go where mine seems sluggish. Anyway, back to the zone manager. They did the cradle adj. and he said as long as I keep both of my hans on the wheel, which I haven't done since driving school, the car won't drift. You know what I say to that!!!! The car still drifts the second I take my hand off the wheel. They've had the car since Monday, but are having a problem with my moonroof. Have to replace the glass panel. I'm sure they won't even put the car on the rack. Tomorrow I'm calling the Illinois Atty. General's office as you suggest. Thanks again for taking the time to help me and Judy.
    Donna
  • Options
    P.S. Hardhawk

The dealer manager and I are on good terms. He just won't come back to the service dept. when I come in!!!! He sets me up with a loaner and that's it. I think I will go back in to see him too. I just want to love my car that's not so much to ask is it?
    Donna
  • Options
    Donna:

You have thr right to love your Magnum as much as I love mine. It is a tremendous car and I could not be happier. I am sorry that you have had the trouble you speak of. I hope the Illinois AG office can help.
  • Options
    I am seriously considering ordering a Magnum. I am searching for information, and don't want anyone to think I am doubting his/her story. Does this pull actually pull the car to the right out of one's hand while driving down the road? Does one constantly have to turn the wheel to the left? Is this only noticeable when one takes one's hands off the wheel (something I never remember having done in all my years of driving)? Thanks for the clarifications.
  • Options
    bricklayertxbricklayertx Member Posts: 20
    Have had my M. since 2/6. When first delivered I believed it had a slight tendency to drift right. The other Magnum that I was considering and which I drove, had a definite drift to the right. (I doubt I would have been so sensitive to this problem had I not been dialed in to this site for several months.)
    Having put 400 miles on my car, whatever concern I had about the 'pull', has disappeared. I am completely satisfied, so far.
  • Options
    That sounds like something one would never notice unless one were looking for it.
  • Options
    lrichardlrichard Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Magnum 3.5 that makes a continuous popping sound as if it is backfiring or letting gas into the exhaust. This happens after the wagon is warm. Sometimes it is noisier than others. This is very irritating and after running a different Magnum beside mine, the dealer said it was normal. Has anyone had this experience. Also, occasionally when I pull away from a stop, I will get a single low pop. Regarding this, the dealer is said my computer needs an upgrade and they are waiting for the proper instructions to proceed.
  • Options
    Yes,thank you hardhawk. Well, I picked up my Magnum and the service tech said I should be much happier now as they put 2 new tires on the front and did an alignment. (TOOK 2 DAYS) GUESS WHAT....still pulling. I think the only reason they put new tires on is because you could see where the tread was wearing down from the right pull, as if that would make it better. I have spoken with the General Manager and he told me a new TSB was out, but the service tech said he had not seen one. Oh and when I asked him about the SAFETY feature he said he had never heard that before...LOL LOL Guess he knows I wouldn't beleive it anyway. Why beat a dead horse I say. So now I am going to set up a meeting with the general manager and if that doesn't help I will talk to an attorney. Good luck Donna and let me know what happens with yours.
    Judy
  • Options
    Hey Judy we're still in the same boat. I picked up mine yesterday also. My sunroof is fixed-they had to put in a new glass panel so it wouldn't make any more noise. That's the good news. The bad news is that is still pulls to the right. As if I expected anything different. They gave me the print out of the alignment numbers and "it's up to manufacturers specs" as usual. I have 3 documented tries for the same problem. In Illinos, for it to be considered for the lemon law, it has to be 4 tries. It's just a matter of when I want to take it back in for the 4th and final try. I told them I talked to the Atty. Gen. office and am waiting on their paperwork, but they didn't even bat an eye. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I don't want to just live with this problem as it is definitely a design flaw and they legally have to fix it. I just want to enjoy my car and not worry about this, but I have to. Maybe I'll wait another month or so,when it gets closer to the launch of the 2006 Magnum and hope they'll give me one of those. Yeah right!!!! I saw the photo of the 2006 Charger and I'm not impressed at all. It's a four door yuk!!! An old boyfriend of mine had a '69 Black Charger that was much better looking than this new one.
    Donna
  • Options
    Donna and all you other magnum owners that are sick of the problem...Hi.........and To Smithed, this is not something I or anyone else was LOOKING for...If you cannot take your hands off the steering wheel for 3 seconds without it heading off the road, well, all I can say is it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is a problem. And what about the Chrysler 300 with the SAME problem. edmunds.com has page after page of 300 owners with the same right pull problem.
    And Donna, if we are lucky they will give us anything we want....I do not plan on taking this laying down. I work too hard for my money to throw it away on an UNSAFE vehicle and besides I can't afford all the tires this thing is gonna eat up. Goodyear is gonna LOVE this Magnum, think of the money they will make off it.
    Jude
  • Options
    Jude and Donna-

I just bought a Magnum RT earlier this month-
    Its a very recent build- 01/05. It does NOT pull to the right.

Perhaps you hve done this- but go to your respective dealers and look for a magnum that has the latest build date you can find- drive it and see if it does the same things as your Magnums.

Just a suggestion- Good luck!
  • Options
    This is an interesting problem, why some vehicles and not others. If it were something wrong with the design geometry of the front suspension, one would think that it would be all the cars. If it is a manufacturing glitch that happens only intermittently, one would think that it would be easy to spot and fix. After all, cars have been tracking straight down the road for years. I just wonder if it is a "Princess and the Pea" phenomenon.
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    I had problems with a 96 Caravan after front struts were changed. The said that it was "set to specs" but it still pulled to the left. I had a alignment shop that had been in business for many years check it out. He test drove it after each adjustment it took a few hours, but the car tracked straight when he was done. I asked about being "off spec" and his answer was there is a range, not just one number to set it at. Tak it to a good shop. DC should pay for the adjustment.
    Mine was out of warranty, so it was on me, but the price was worth having the van track straight.
  • Options
    harleylovrharleylovr Member Posts: 2
    Ordered my 2005 RT in December and received it on February 16th. Build date was 01/19/2005. Regarding the right hand pull - it is ever so slight and appears to only happen when the road has a definite "crown". Only other concern is a rough idle when stoppped in traffic. Only have 381 miles, but otherwise I LOVE this car! It wants to move and it is extremely comfortable and an attention getter. The color is the Inferno Red Crystal Pearl and with some extra detail and wax that the dealer neglected to do, it looks better now than when I picked it up from the them.
  • Options
    Judy and all my other "righty" friends- Guess what???? I may see light at the end of the tunnel. My friend who is a Chrysler mechanic, and his mechanic friend at work, came across a 300C that was doing the "right" thing. Well apparently, at the dealer they work at, they cannot discharge a car back to it's owner without it being fixed once and for all. This one in particular was almost at the point of a buy-back deal, when low and behold!!!!!! the mechanic fixed the right pull!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promised I wouldn't get too excited by this, but.......... my friend is going to discuss the Magnum problem with his work associate this week and see if he'll work on my Magnum and see if he can correct this on mine the same way he did it on the 300C.Trust me on this one--the way my friend explaind the fix to me is so unbelievably simple it will be an embarrassment to DC. All I can say right now is hang in there friends and hope that this mechanic at the Chrysler dealer will take on the Magnum challange. He may not be ablt to get my car in this week, but we'll see what happens. What else can we do? I don't want to take mine to an alignment shop yet. If they do something that will throw the car out of warranty, I have no leg to stand on. Be patient my righty friends--I'm working on it!!!!
    Donna