Are you shopping for a new vehicle and having trouble finding one, or have you been waiting a long time for a factory order? A reporter would like to speak with you; please reach out to [email protected] by Tues. 5/11 for more details.

Selling a California-registered vehicle out-of-state without a smog certificate

terryhealeyusterryhealeyus Member Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in General
Does anyone know if you can sell a California-registered and operable vehicle that won't pass California emissions standards to someone out-of-state? I know the seller is responsible for the vehicle passing smog if sold in California. Because emission standards vary, and many counties that are non-congested do not require smog certificates, it seems that there must be a way to do this. Thanks for any insights!


  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonMember Posts: 20,350
    Yes, you can do this BUT if the car has to pass emissions in a different state, it'll probably flunk emissions there too. If the buyer can prove that you KNEW it had failed emissions you could be in trouble.

    Why not just get it fixed before you sell it?

    At the very least I would make the buyer aware of this and have them sign a disclosure to that effect.
Sign In or Register to comment.