Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Surprisingly Spacious Rear Seats - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Volkswagen

imageSurprisingly Spacious Rear Seats - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Volkswagen GTI is small, but that doesn't mean the rear seats are useless.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    Maybe it's just me, but from the "Surprisingly Spacious" title I was expected the favorable comparison with cars 1-2 class sizes larger. Being surprised that's on par with other compacts ?
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    I would be curious to compare the length of the rear seat cushion to that Mazda3.

Many manufacturers increase rear seat leg room by shortening the cushion. Good example of this is BMW 3er vs X1. X1 seems to have adequate rear seat legroom compared to the 3er, until you sit down and realize that the bottom cushion in the 3-series is a couple of inches longer and is, therefore, significantly more comfortable.
  • Options
    seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    Comparing dimensions on a specifications sheet is helpful, but actually sitting in a car's rear seat behind a typical driver seat position often tells a more compelling story. Sit in the back of a Golf/GTI, and compare to BMW 3-series, Cadillac ATS, Lexus IS, Volvo S60, Audi A4, all more expensive cars; and throw in Ford Focus and Mazda 3 for similar class hatchbacks. The Golf/GTI feels more spacious and accessible than any of the others, all dimensions considered. It's an impressive achievement. You can get more room for less money (Civic, Corolla, Jetta, maybe Impreza), but in a larger, sedan footprint. It's not what everyone is looking for in a car, but you can see why it is a world-wide best seller.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    This is just another reason why I'd be very hesitant to buy an A3 over a GTI. Yes, the A3 is a bit more refined and luxurious while also having the added benefit of AWD (I'm referring to the 2.0T), but the GTI is very similar since it's built on the same platform. Plus, you can get a lot of the same features on a GTI that you'd find on the A3. I just don't think I could justify paying more for the Audi when you get less space, even with the added benefit of AWD. If Audi ever brings the A3 hatch over here, it would be a bit easier to justify paying the premium over a GTI.