Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Pontiac Sunfire will not start

mommyof05mommyof05 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2015 in Pontiac
I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire. I shut the car off and when i went to try to restart it it would not start. My cousin brought a computer checker thing and it would not read and the check engine light is not on. I put a new battery, spark plugs, plug wires, coolant sensor, new fuel filter and fuel pump, sometimes it will start for a few seconds then shut off on its own or when you try to give it fuel. They sprayed starting fluid in and it will run for a few seconds then shut off. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answers

Answers

• mommyof05mommyof05 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire. I shut the car off and went I went to start it again it would not start. Check engine light is not on...short story...I changed battery, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, changed oil & filter and changed the coolant sensor. It will sometimes (very rarely) start for 20 - 30 seconds and then shut off on its own or when you try to give it fuel. They sprayed starting fluid it and it will run for a few seconds. They told me its getting enough fuel and fire. Anyone have a clue what else to check?
    The check engine light comes on when you turn the switch on, but when the car is running for the 20 or so seconds its not.
    I have no idea what any of that stuff means? They just said it was getting the fuel pressure it was supposed to and 99% of the time it will crank over n over and will not start...but every once in a while it will run for 20 or 30 seconds and either quit on its own or quit when you press on the gas peddle. They said it will start right up and run when you keep spraying starting fluid in it. I can not afford a mechanic so my sons and I are trying to fix it.