Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Spam Bot - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in BMW
imageSpam Bot - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 BMW i3 sends out emails when the battery is low. Here's why it is annoying.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I think integrating it into a mobile app is the best way to handle it. That way, notifications can be handled well through the device itself. Of course, I don't know what the point of showing a low battery is. Clearly you should know if you don't have it plugged in and/or are driving it, so the only time it should alert you is when its done charging or if it gets interrupted charging.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    You absolutely must keep your V275231 in top shape!
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    E-mails aren't bad, but in this day and age, push notifications to a smartphone (or even text alerts) are much more ideal. Since you've got the app, I'd assume that the system could figure out that it can send push alerts to your phone. I'm surprised that BMW hasn't chosen to handle notifications this way. It seems somewhat useless overall though, since this car will be driven by many different people while it's being used by Edmunds. You would't want to get any kind of alert about the car if you weren't driving it.

As far as handling the e-mails, you should be able to mark them as spam and they should go straight to your spam folder. If not, you can probably set up a separate rule to look for certain criteria like the sender's e-mail or subject line and then send the e-mail to a specified folder if it meets that criteria.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I can do without my car spaming me on a daily basis.
  • markedwardsmarkedwards Member Posts: 32
    Never have seen one of these messages. But I have a BEV and drive only about 13 miles a day so I rarely let it drop below 25%. The reason you couldn't find a US version of the ConnectDrive site is because BMW NA routes all account set up and maintenance tasks through a live person. In other markets, owners have to use the self-help sites. Try calling or emailing the BMW Genius group, or calling a rep through the car's iDrive system.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2015
    It's unnecessary, too, because this is the range-extender model. I'll get to it when I get to it, kind of thing.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test