Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2004 Mountaineer PATS issue?

kyrrosbkyrrosb Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Mercury
Hi everyone,

It's been a fun few days in my garage. I started the weekend by replacing the front wheel bearings and hubs on my 2004 Mountaineer. When that job was done, I tried to start the vehicle to test drive it and found that the battery was dead. I tried to jump it and it cranked but wouldn't start, after trying it a few times, it stopped cranking all together. It's not a no-crank from the starter but rather no noise coming from the starter at all. All i hear is a click, sounding like a relay closing, from under the dash around the fuse panel. I then noticed that the red security light on the dash was flashing rapidly when I turned the key to the on position. After blinking rapidly for a while, it blinks a code. The code is 1:6 which I have read is 'Faulty link between PATS module and EECV. Go to dealer.'

I have checked all fuses and tested relays by giving them power and they all close. I don't believe it's a starter issue because of the security code but I will test it just to confirm. I'm lost as to where to turn next, but I know that the dealership has to be a last option because of finances. Is there a good way to diagnose the link between the PATS module and the EECV? I'm willing to dig into the electrical if I have to, but I just need to know where to start.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

K.