Finger-Pinching Door Handles - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,237
edited March 2015 in Volvo
imageFinger-Pinching Door Handles - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

An Edmunds editor takes issue with the 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E sedan's door handles. The design allows the occasional finger-pinch. Ouch!

Read the full story here

Comments

• biancarbiancar Mid-AtlanticMember Posts: 965
    True. Happened to me on my Volvo V70 several times shortly after I bought it. Finally I figured out how to open it without touching the bit that would catch the skin on my palm, and haven't had any problems sense. You definitely have to pay attention and not put any part of your hand at the joint.
  • saulstersaulster Los Angeles AreaMember Posts: 48
    I have had my 2015.5 S60 for over three months and no such problem, even with my large hands. The "loaded" version as you ( and I ) have includes sensors in the handle to lock and unlock. I put two fingers into the handle, get the quick unlock, and pull open, no trouble. I have not tried putting my whole hand into the handle as no need and my ( larger ) hand might not fit anyway.
  • biancarbiancar Mid-AtlanticMember Posts: 965
    Yes, that's how I learned to do it as well. But when I first got the car, I didn't realize that little trick and did get pinched a few times from putting my hand in the wrong place.
  • saulstersaulster Los Angeles AreaMember Posts: 48
    I went out to the car yesterday and was conscious of the door handle ( which I have never noticed before ). Like I previously posted, no problem to open, no pinch etc. I noticed that the door handle pulls out horizontally when opening. At the back end, there is an area which is open and could theoretically pinch if a person opening the door handle let their hand slide back into it when the handle was pulled out. That kind of slip back of the fingers honestly seemed much more awkward to me than simply pulling the handle open, which has caused me no problems to date.

Perhaps a door handle that opens vertically ( pull up, not out ) would be less prone to this kind of problem? Just a thought.

Saulster
  • kmjs_1kmjs_1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 with what looks to be the exact same door handle design. I've never pinched my hand in over 2 years of ownership. I also don't grab the handle with my entire hand since a couple of fingers is all it takes to open the door and I usually keep my hands clear of hinges on any device.
  • inky9inky9 Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me twice on my 2015 Volvo V60, and it HURT. It also happened to my FOUR YEAR OLD SON and almost broke the skin, bruising it. He cried for a several minutes. when I complained about this design flaw to the dealership, the owner said in front of my son that it's a just matter of opening the door "the normal way". I'm sorry, but I've been driving for 29 years and opening car doors for longer than that and this is the first time I've ever been pinched. My son is more careful now, but I will not be able to let any of his little friends open their own door...should a person really have to think about how to open a door so as not to get hurt? Come on...this is a luxury vehicle with the price tag to match and is a car supposedly known for its safety. I hope more people complain about this, and Volvo offers to replace the door handles to something that really is "normal".