Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Electrical? - '98 Explorer

gayle13155gayle13155 Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Ford
I have a 98 EB Ford Explorer. Last Saturday in the evening(dark) I shut it off and the headlights went out. I thought this was strange as they usually stay on and go off a few minutes later. I didn't think much of it then. Then Tuesday night as I was driving home, all my lights went out , inside the vehicle and out, it was scary, Total black out. I grabbed the column for the bright lights and they came on as long as I kept it pulled, but if I let go I had nothing...no lights anywhere. Driving several miles this way the lights inside (dash, steering wheel, etc. flashed on and off a couple times, but still no lights unless I was holding the brights on with my hand. As I came up to a stop sign to turn, all the lights came back on, and I could let go of the bright light column, I had a couple miles to go yet to get home and they stayed on all the way home. Turned the vehicle off and the head lights went out immediately. I have a band new battery and alternator....so what can be the problem here? This is scary and I'm afraid to drive at night, (I'm a woman), in case the lights go out again. Thanks.

Answers

• larryb1963larryb1963 Posts: 26
    sounds like the wiring harness to the alternator could just not be plugged in all the way ? or the new alternator is defective assuming its a rebuild from parts store .