Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    $16848 is for a manual tranny 2012 Touring Skyactiv with no options. The dealer literally has about 30 of these on his lot. I've never seen a dealer with so many manuals to choose from. They have multiple ones of every color! If you go for other lenders besides Mazda, the price of the car drops to $15598. These prices do not include the mandatory $599 dealer fee, but even with that, they are selling the car for well below invoice with no haggling and no special rebates that you must be approved for.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I have seen the nav set up and I'm not supposed to comment on it yet. Pics were labeled with "Confidential" all over it.

Our first allocation was August. I believe we will see them in October.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Oh that's cheating. We won't tell anyone, we promise :shades:

I saw a photo on another forum, so I know how it's generally going to look. That was the most important part for me, I was kind of hoping they tweaked the steering wheel to look a little better.
    Steering wheel is the same. Sorry to disappoint.
    That's allright. It's tolerable, just looks crowded with so many buttons running around.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    edited September 2012
    Isn't this an evolutionary year for the Mazda3 with a modest set of modifications?

I had read somewhere that either 2014 or 2015 was to be the next major model change.

Have you heard anything about the introduction of the diesel version in the North American marketplace? Cost is a major consideration; VW seems to be doing well with their TDI strategy.
    The next Mazda3 redesign will be the 2014-2015 model from what I have heard.

The 2013 will look the same as the 2012, but with a variety of added equipment, some of which were features many complained it lacked on the i models for 2012. All of that has already been discussed already. Possible that Mazda is listening to forum members?

I have heard nothing about a diesel for the Mazda3.
    It'd be nice if they are listening to us. Always nice to know when a company is actually listening to its customers, unlike some others ("Americans don't buy hatchbacks!" my a**).

I had heard that the full-up redesign would be in 2014, but I did NOT hear if it would be M.Y. 2014 or M.Y. 2015. Doesn't matter to me except as a possible date to trade in my 2013, but I'm personally hoping it's M.Y. 2015. That would give the current generation car a five year lifespan, which sounds just about right. Though I wouldn't blame Mazda for pushing it out to 6 years to save a little money.
    I have no idea what Mazda intends on doing for the next Mazda3. I would not be surprised if it were a 2015 introduced in early 2014. That is what is happening with the 2014 Mazda6 (early 2013) and 2013 CX-5 (early 2012).

What we do know is that we are at least a year away from any details.
    What is your sense of Mazda's overall strategy for the North American marketplace?

Do you believe that its Mexican plant would likely serve US & Canadian demand in addition to that of Mexico and South America?

I think Americans and Canadians will be seeing Mexican Mazdas on dealer lots by 2015. The high value of the yen is probably the Achilles heel for many Japanese automakers and the impetus for moving production closer to distribution.
    That'd be nice, I'd love to see Mazda move more production here, and get away from the yen some. Mostly I'd just love to see Mazdas built in North America. :)
    I think it is obvious that with the current construction of a new assembly facility in Mexico that their intent is to feed North America with vehicles at a higher profit margin and quicker production-to-showroom turn around.

I have not heard what they intend to build there. I would assume Mazda3's would be a good choice considering 1/3 of all Mazda's sold here are Mazda3's.
    Sky blue is being dropped (booo!)
    Velocity Red is being added (yaaay!)
    Indigo Lights will now be available with a black interior, and I'm thinking that's my favorite color combo now, it'll minimize the grin without being a grey color.

Black would be #2, followed by Velocity Red. I really don't like the beige interior setup.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Velocity Red is being added... WHERE???
    Ahh, yes, sorry, all of the above applies to the SkyActiv trims. The only trims that truly matter anymore, heh. :shades:
    So, I could get a Skyactiv Sport sedan or i Touring hatch in Velocity Red? Sweet! That's my favorite color on the Mazda3!
    I'd love a Velocity Red, but I think I'd like Indigo Lights or the black better...kind of hides the "grin" more.
  • countertop4countertop4 Member Posts: 11
    The dealer I am working with said the 2013 Mazda 3 cars would be showing up on their lot in December. My question is this: Would it be reasonable to expect the best buys around December to be the non-Sky active 2012 3 models? Is it a good possibility that the incentives/financing offers that we are seeing now will still be around in December? Should one expect to pay sticker for the 2013 models? I nearly pulled the trigger on an Indigo, but just didn't like the Dune interior. I'm so glad to read that the 2013 will have black interior. I've owned two Red Mazdas and they were beautiful, so now with that color being offered on the i trim, I will have a tough time deciding. It does seem that it makes sense to get the 2013 sport at a premium and get exactly what I want rather than getting the 2012 i for less but not being completely satisfied. I've got high priced 18 inch rims to put on it, so I'd just use the steel wheels for winter or sell them. Any website that gives good information on 2013 models? Thanks for all your help!
    edited September 2012
    The 2012s are mainly getting discounted because the 2013s have been announced, and there's no way the 2013s will be heavily discounted initially. December sounds like an awfully long time, with the way they're fire-sale-ing the 2012s, the 2013s must be showing up soon. One source told me mid October, supposedly a dealer, but it was on a forum somewhere.

I need to go to my local dealer and ask but I figure they're going to try to shove me in a 2012. And I'm afraid I'll cave. :)
  • papagenoxpapagenox Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all--

I'm seriously considering the 2013 i Grand Touring for my next vehicle, but was somewhat dismayed to read that this would be the first model year to be built at a new plant in Mexico. If it weren't the first year I'd be a lot less concerned. My current vehicle is a '97 VW Jetta which was one of the first of that model to be built in Mexico, and there were definitely some fit and finish problems with it (a door rattle the very first week I owned the car, among other things).

I suppose the only way to be sure as to any particular vehicle would be to look at the plaque inside, but does anyone have the skinny on this?

Also, while I've always preferred manual transmissions, I wonder how close the manual shift mode of the SKYACTIV 6 speed automatic feels--experiences there?

Thanks for any replies! :D
    edited September 2012
    Pricing and build-your-own are up on mazdausa.com. I am disappointed in the lack of color choices on the i Sport--just white, silver, grey, and black. And only the black interior. Otherwise the car has enough equipment for me. But bor-rinnnng colors.

But prices seem to be up for 2013... even the i Sport with MT lists at $19,170. A lot for a car with a stick and relatively few features, e.g. plastic wheel covers and no Bluetooth.

But I really want a hatchback... so the least expensive option is the i Touring MT, list $20,795. AT is $850 more. At least more colors are available: graphite, blue, and red in addition to the ones on the i Sport. But red comes only with the black interior. Fans of dune (like me) have to go with white, black, or blue to get the dune interior.

Comparatively... Elantra GT, a hatch with i Touring-like equipment + more, is about the same price as the i Sport sedan; a Focus SE hatch is $800 less than the i Touring hatch (plus with bigger discounts available, if history is a guide); the Golf starts at $2000 less than the i Touring hatch (with low-miles CPO cars available for even less), and the Impreza Premium hatch with CVT (I don't like its MT) is $800 more than the i Touring with MT (and about the same as the i Touring with AT).

So unless Mazda has some good deals on the Mazda3 next summer, it's going to be at a disadvantage price-wise to other cars I'm looking at.

P.S. To see a big "oops", at least until it's fixed, go to the Features section on the 2013 Mazda3 and notice how it says the i Sport does NOT have the Skyactiv powertrains... although other parts of the web site have it right.
    I test drove most of the competition that you mention. I found the Elantra GT to be lacking in torque, the transmission to not be ergonomic in manual mode, and the manual mode to not be very useful anyway as the tranny liked to veto the driver's suggestions. I found the steering to be weighty but lacking feedback. Suspension was firm, not overly stiff, but you can tell it's not an indy rear. It tries, but it's a lot closer to a Corolla than a canyon carver.

The Focus had much better handling, the indy rear helps with grip. While the shifter is a little more ergonomic, the DCT hunts less than Hyundai's automatic, but also listens less (the "Sport" mode is only barely manumatic). Love the front seat, don't know why they bothered with a rear seat, a Mustang has more. :shades: You should really be comparing the Focus Titanium, to the Mazda3 as the equipment levels are more comparable. When equipped comparably the Focus gets a little expensive, though it has a few extra tech gadgets some might like to have.

Subie is AWD which almost puts it in a separate category. Steering is dull but not lifeless, suspension is very comfortable: handling comes from the AWD and the low center of gravity of the engine, allowing them to use a softer suspension and still keep things reasonably sporty. Hate the CVT, don't like the dash, and the car's a bit slow. It's got a huge back seat though.

Now, I do wish they were priced a little lower, but it remains to be seen how flexible dealers will be on pricing. If they've priced it too high, you'll see the discounts appear relatively quickly.
    edited September 2012
    A Corolla? You haven't driven too many Corollas, have you?

Manual mode? Did you drive the actual manual transmission? That's the one I would get. I liked the automatic operation of the automatic GT I drove... no need to switch to manumatic mode. Steering feel was good, I thought, in the "sport" setting (adjustable). Ride quality was good. I don't carve any canyons in the Midwest, so the beam suspension is not a deal-breaker for me. I'd find more use for the bun warmers on the GT than independent rear suspension.

I liked how the Focus SE with manual transmission drove. Rear is a little tight, but passable. Might be the lowest priced of all the new hatches I am looking at, after my supplier discount. I think the SE is quite comparable in equipment to the i Touring. Other than automatic climate control, which I don't want nor need, I don't see any equipment advantage the i Touring has over the Focus SE. And I kinda like that MyKey feature on the Focus.

The Impreza does have the big advantage of AWD over the Mazda3 and all these other cars. And for no price penalty, comparing automatic Impreza to automatic i Touring. So if I decide to spend that much money, the Impreza is definitely a contender.

But when it comes right down to it, if next summer I can get a low-miles Golf CPO car for $14k or less, which I am pretty sure I can do based on current prices, that's probably the route I'll go. Fun car to drive and I'll never make up the difference in price for the few miles I drive per year. I'll let other folks snap up those $20k i Touring hatches. :)
    I drive 100 miles a day. I'll make it up easy. And I hit traffic too often to want to deal with a clutch pedal.

The Focus SE is missing the driver information system from the Titanium also.

And I tried to drive a Corolla once, but it ran away from me. Must have known I like to flog compact cars. :shades:

In the NY State we got twisties all over the place, and some fun places to take a Mazda. We also get snow, which made me look at the Impreza, but it's just too slow for me (I need something to MOVE when I stomp the gas...it doesn't). If it had maybe 20 more HP that would be a different story...probably a lot different. Despite the CVT it's the car I'd pick if the Mazda3 didn't exist. But said lovely canyon carver does indeed exist. :shades:

Let me know when VW comes out with a non-TDI that gets 40 MPG. Until then, not interested. ;)
    So the Focus SE doesn't have a trip computer? I know the 2012 SE had one. I don't need a display that shows me Dow Jones moving averages etc. But I do like a FE readout.

I'm not crazy about the CVT in the Impreza either, but I don't like the noise and low FE of the stick, so it's CVT if I go with the Impreza. Main reason besides price it's at the bottom of my list. And the dash IS boring... but very easy to use the controls.

The 2014 Golf, due here next year and soon to be unveiled, is likely to have a higher FE gas engine, maybe a 1.8T. But I had a Rabbit with the 2.5L I5 and it did much better even with the automatic than the EPA sticker, e.g. 35 mpg highway. And my test of a 2012 Golf with the 5MT returned over 30 around town. I'd be just fine with that, along with the relatively high hp and torque of that 2.5L, given the few miles I drive per year.

Also we know from history the MT on the Golf is rock-solid, whereas there's some doubt about the reliability of the MT on the Mazda3.
  • geologystgeologyst Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    See, the less hp/torque is my worry with the Elantras, but at least I can test drive one of the new manual HB's or see what the upgrades look like in the interior!
    Is anyone else having trouble running down a 5-door manual trans. or even a 5-door i grand touring to test drive...and I don't mean because they aren't out yet, but because the dealers aren't planning on stocking them? Every one I spoke with said they weren't going to have any manual 5 doors, nor any of the loaded HB's.
    I even contacted Mazda, who confirmed that there were none within 250 miles of me, nor anyone getting one any time soon.
    And they wonder why loaded sporty HB's don't sell in US markets! Apparently I have to special order just to see the upgraded interior or drive a manual 5 door! Do these people not understand that putting the customer in the fancy one to test drive makes it WAY harder to go back to the basic when you buy, not the other way around?
    So far the dealer in my area, and the two closest ones have only gotten 2013 i Touring models in stock. No GTs yet (i or s), I'm waiting for a SkyActiv GT with the tech package myself.
  • wixiepixiewixiepixie Member Posts: 5
    Any chance you'd share what state you're in, bpizutti? I'm also waiting for the 2013 models because I want the GT trim line in a manual...None in Pa. that I can find.
    I'm in the Mid Hudson Valley in NY State. Basically we have a dealer in Poughkeepsie, a dealer in Middletown, a dealer in Danbury, CT, and a dealer just outside of White Plains. They're all minimum 30 miles apart. Mazda's as smart as Toyota when it comes to dealer placement, but it can be inconvenient at times. :shades:
    You are in my neck of the woods...

The Mazda3 i GTs are a little far out. They are at least 30 days out, maybe more.

Did you want a manual or automatic?
    edited October 2012
    Automatic. Not sure I can swing the tech package, but I can't live without my Sirius/XM. I'd probably never notice the lack of fog lamps...except that I really like the things. :) Bottom line is that I WANT the tech package, but I'm not sure I can AFFORD the tech package. I also need to consider an extended warranty, though i guess I could buy that later.

November/December is a little more convenient for me anyway, I can do more of a down payment, and the Elantra Touring will be paid down a little bit more. That thing's going to be the problem, I need what I owe on it, or at least really close.
    I'm in it for a manual. Just hope the stars and moon align on the 2013s, and I can get everything I'd like to have. First new car in a long time.
    Haven't seen any posts recently on Edmunds' long term Mazda3. Hope they didn't overdo the zoom zoom and wear it out. :)
    Woo hoo! Just checked the Mazda USA site, and I'm getting exactly what I want:

MAZDA3 i Grand Touring 5-Door

SKYACTIV-G 155-hp‡, 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with variable valve timing
    SKYACTIV-MT 6-speed manual transmission
    Mileage city/highway (mpg): 27/38†

In addition to i Touring features:

Power sliding-glass moonroof
    Heated side mirrors
    Bose® Centerpoint® 10 Speaker Surround Sound System with AudioPilot®
    Sliding center console armrest
    5.8" full color touch screen navigation system with voice commands
    HD radio
    Pandora internet radio connectivity
    SMS text message auto delivery and voice reply
    Audio menu voice command
    Radio Broadcast Data System (RBDS) programming information
    E911 automatic emergency notification
    Welcome lighting system
    Heated front seats with 5-level variable heat settings
    8-way power driver's seat
    Leather-trimmed seats and door panel inserts
    Blind Spot Monitoring System
  • pragmaticopragmatico Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered a 2013 iGT hatchback with the manual transmission. The very strange thing about this configuration is that you have NO CHOICE about including the tech package. You have to get it (and pay for it). On the other hand, the tech package for the automatic is optional. Very strange.

By the same token, the manual transmission iT hatchback also PRECLUDES ordering the Preferred Equipment Package, whereas the automatic allows it to be ordered as an option. These difference between manual and automatic are puzzling, with penalties being associated with ordering the manual.
    I noticed that as well when I used the "build" feature on Mazda's website. I was surprised that I couldn't remove the tech package. I wanted to see what the cost would be without it. Interesting that the buyer loses the $1,500 in savings on the MT by being required to get extra features.

When you put the order in for your car, did your dealer say how long it would take to arrive?
  • pragmaticopragmatico Member Posts: 2
    He pointed out that the configuration I wanted wasn't ordered by anyone else in the country. Since there was nothing in the pipeline that was close and could be modified, I'd probably have to wait up to 90 days for the whole process to complete.
  • trkbstrtrkbstr Member Posts: 2
    Earlier indications were that Mazda would include a diesel optional engine for the Mazda 3... they even indicated hp and torque information. Mazda now disavows any knowledge of a diesel engine for the 3. Sad that they took that out of the equation. Even though the skyactive engine and tranny look pretty good for a gasoline engine, the diesel appeared pretty incredible.

Steve
    They might be saving it for the next Mazda3. It's probably bigger than the 2.0L package they're using in the current 3, and might not fit under the hood.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    They might be saving it for the next Mazda3. It's probably bigger than the 2.0L package they're using in the current 3, and might not fit under the hood.

But they fit a 2.5 under the hood of the current 3.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    They fit the old 2.5L. Not the upcoming 2.5L with the 4-2-1 header, not the SkyActiv 2.0L with the 4-2-1 header. The 2.2L SkyActiv diesel, like most others, is a turbodiesel, which means there has to be room for a turbocharger, plus whatever else might be special on the engine.

Given that they had to modify SkyActiv 2.0L to fit under the hood of the current 3, I didn't expect any other SKyActiv powertrains until the 3 is redesigned onto a 100% SkyActiv platform.
  • tim_in_gatim_in_ga Member Posts: 4
    Anyone seen a 2013 i Grand Touring Mazda3 in stock anywhere?
  • entropy1980entropy1980 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Lot's of iGT's at Browning (in Cerritos, CA). Just bought one yesterday from them:2013 iGT w/ tech. Picking it up today!
    Cool! Hopefully they'll be making it to our area soon.
  • wzxchangewzxchange Member Posts: 4
    Still nothing around here. Gotta say Ford is killing them on stock and incentives for 2013 models. I'll wait a little more but I don't know how much longer our old car will last.
  • nl2134nl2134 Member Posts: 1
    New owner of a 2013 Mazda3 iTouring. Only previous car was a 2002 Toyota Corolla which gave me absolutely no problems...so when I was offered 7 years/100,000 extended warranty for $2,500, I balked initially.

This seems super high for only a 100,000 mile warranty, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding the warranty. Are Mazda's reliable enough, especially with the new engine, I should just pass on the warranty? Or should I get it? Or should I try and negotiate?

Thanks in advance.
    For me, the standouts for 2014 are the 2.5L Skyactiv engine and i-Activsense suite of technologies.

Regarding 2.5L Skyactiv engine, will it be available only on the GT?

Regarding i-Activsense I suppose it would only be available initially on the GT. Where are the sensors for these systems located? Apart from those in the cabin, I suppose some are housed in the mirrors and others located at the front and rear of the vehicle. In the event of a minor mishap (bumping mirror / fender or a mild fender bender) would that mean a more expensive repair bill?

Also, can anyone explain the lower light fixture on the nose? The bottom portion looks like fog lamps, but for what exactly is the top portion?
  • 3less3less Member Posts: 1