Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

5.0 Mojo - More Refined But Still Plenty Fun

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Ford
image5.0 Mojo - More Refined But Still Plenty Fun

Ford upgraded almost everything for the new-generation 2015 Ford Mustang. But the company must have used the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it came time to look at the GT's 5.0-liter V8 engine. This mill was awesome when it debuted for the 2011 Mustang and still has plenty of mojo today.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    christoplechristople Member Posts: 27
    Now I want one

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that"

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    What you've written about the V8 is pretty much the same as in the previous long term test Mustang. We have learnt nothing new.

Ford offered the new turbo motor, which is lighter (and so the car should handle better). Sure, it may not be the one to get, but we'd never know.

Pointing to the V8 in the engine bay is not enough. You already did that, to the same motor, in the 'same' car, in 2011.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Agreed, you guys made a mistake not getting the Ecoboost engine. Quit going with the "safe" choices. We read these blogs because we want to know how the more unusual options work out. Oh, and since you mentioned the Miata, why don't you do something about that? It's been sitting (likely with a dead battery) for nearly a year now with no love. If you're not going to drive it, then sell it and move on.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Great post, Brent.

Now about that Miata...
  • Options
    squarefoursquarefour Member Posts: 24

Agreed, you guys made a mistake not getting the Ecoboost engine. Quit going with the "safe" choices. We read these blogs because we want to know how the more unusual options work out. Oh, and since you mentioned the Miata, why don't you do something about that? It's been sitting (likely with a dead battery) for nearly a year now with no love. If you're not going to drive it, then sell it and move on.

Actually, I get the feeling many read these blogs just so they can piss, moan and "critique" in a green-eyed manner.

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Since they invited the thread jack, what I want is an update on the new engine for the Miata. They did a long post about the new longer rods and other mod's, then a couple years of nothing. This is a corporate project isn't it? Get it done already.
  • Options

Actually, I get the feeling many read these blogs just so they can piss, moan and "critique" in a green-eyed manner.

Sure that can be some of it, but by selecting what they did, they pretty much are testing the same car, but 4 years later.

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    desmolicious,

i would argue they are testing a different chassis with the same engine.

that is to say, i think everyone wanted them to test a mustang with the IRS, but everyone already knew what the 5.0 is like and why not take the opportunity to test a WHOLE different car?

would anyone here buy a 4 cylinder turbo mustang... probably not many, but say we bought the GT and drove it to a car meet and someone with an ecoboost mustang was there... would we all want to know what it was like?

definitely.

they should have bought/ran an ecoboost mustang for 15k miles stock and then bought the ford racing factory tuner and bumped the hp/tq up for the last 5k miles.

that would have been way more interesting.

• Options
    s197gt

But have we heard anything from them about the new chassis? All I seem to be reading is about the same motor, and that it is now too quiet. And puddle lights.

It's almost like they got this car for their personal use, as there is very little reportage here. The lighter (but still powerful) turbo motor, with the new chassis really would have been an interesting test to follow.

I mentioned this before, Edmunds (for some reason lost to me) got two near to identical cars when they ran the Toybarus. Why not get a turbo Mustang at the same time as the V8? That makes far more sense.