Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Things you like and dislike about the 2015 Highlander...

orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
edited March 2015 in Toyota
I leased an 2015 XLE. I've had it for 2 days now. I had a 2012 lease ender that I returned.

Things I like:
-color (Maroon-Ooh La La Rouge Mica), black interior (looks more grey than black though, but nice)
-quiet/smooth ride
-seems wider than my 2012
-much bigger 8" display for the backup camera and all the toys (entune, nav, settings) than my 2012
-customizable features (door locks, lights, etc) very useful
-phone Bluetooth shows my contacts and who's calling (on 2012, it would show a number only, no name)

Things I don't like:
-When you put the power window lock on, the driver can't operate any of the windows other than the drivers (the driver should have ability to open/close any window, even with lock on-- good with small kids)
-Less leg room in 2nd and 3rd rows than my 2012
-Roof rails are chrome colored and no cross bars (unless it comes with that option or you buy as accessory)-- looks more like a minivan than sporty SUV

What do you think?

Comments

• saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    I've had my XLE for a week now and I love the color combo I have; Shoreline Blue with grey leather - color's very important to me when shopping. The quiet ride is great. It's been 10 years since I purchased a new mid size SUV - this car is much bigger - almost too big for most days. I think the wheels are the coolest rims I've ever owned. The other feature I really like is the pop up rear window which is great for loading the car in the middle of a road trip or bringing something long home from Home Depot.

The feature I miss most is the seat memory that only comes in the Limited. One feature on the Santa Fe I liked is the second row sun shades. The roof rails are good and bad - good because they are flush and give a clean appearance and less wind drag, bad because it will be harder for me to tie down a luggage sack I use on road trips.
  • mmoyers13mmoyers13 Member Posts: 1
    I have only had mine a few days - I got the Creme Brulee with tan interior. I'm not especially fond of the tan interior, it's more like "ivory". Its just really light. But, it was either that or black and black definitely wouldn't have worked. I have the XLE as well.

Likes: Relatively quiet ride (there is some wind noise at highway speeds, but not terrible)
    Seats are comforable
    Love the sunshades on 2nd row (great for my baby)
    The display on the instrument panel with compass and speed limit sign
    The shelf running the length of dashboard
    Leg room in front row

Dislikes: Glare on the stereo/Entune screen
    Knobs for volume and temperature adjustment are too short - like they're hard to grip and turn
    Center console. I hate that it's rounded on top, making it hard to set my purse up on it.
    I wish the door handles inside were a more polished chrome. I think the brushed chrome looks and feels cheap
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are under 35 and recently bought a car to accommodate your growing family, please email PR@edmunds.com before Monday, March 30. 2015 to be interviewed.
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    mmoyers13 said:

Dislikes: Knobs for volume and temperature adjustment are too short - like they're hard to grip and turn

Yeah, I hate them too. I think they were made for kids and midgets.

• orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    What's with the voice dialing system? Is that the infamous Entune?

I say "Call home". Is comes back "Do you want to call Chris?" or some other crazy non-sense, not even close to what I said. My 2012, I'd say "Dial by name.. home" and it would call no problem. This high-tech system sucks.

Any thoughts?
    I just installed a pair of roof racks on my 2015 XLE highlander and I must say it's disappointing where they place the inlet holes for installation. There's over 6' of roof line and they give you a 2 foot spread to place the racks which really limits how and what you can carry on top of the roof. Older models would allow you to slide up and down a where the rail crossing would be - at least my old Honda Pilot did..
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    edited April 2015
    My 2015 Highlander XLE AWD (as compared to my 2012 Highlander SE):

Things I like:

-Sharper, more distinctive exterior appearance
    -Quieter and more luxurious interior, with better materials quality overall (and less plastic)
    -More comfortable front seats
    -Easier-to-reach controls for the heated seats
    -Adjustable height feature for the power rear door
    -Larger (8-inch) back-up camera

Things I don't like:

-Cup holders between the two front seats are too large for a normal-sized coffe cup from Starbucks or McDonald's. Toyota needs to fix this-- or at least include a removable insert/adapter.
    -Second row seating seems to have a bit less legroom
    -120V outlet in the second row is uslesss: The cover prevents an iPhone charger from being plugged in.
    -Temp and radio control knobs are small, shallow, slippery, and more difficult to grip. (Huge knobs in the 2012 were kind of cartoon-ish, but they were easy to use!)

heywood1 said:

My 2015 Highlander XLE AWD (as compared to my 2012 Highlander SE):

Things I like:

-Sharper, more distinctive exterior appearance
    -Quieter and more luxurious interior, with better materials quality overall (and less plastic)
    -More comfortable front seats
    -Easier-to-reach controls for the heated seats
    -Adjustable height feature for the power rear door
    -Larger (8-inch) back-up camera

Things I don't like:

-Cup holders between the two front seats are too large for a normal-sized coffe cup from Starbucks or McDonald's. Toyota needs to fix this-- or at least include a removable insert/adapter.
    -Second row seating seems to have a bit less legroom
    -120V outlet in the second row is uslesss: The cover prevents an iPhone charger from being plugged in.
    -Temp and radio control knobs are small, shallow, slippery, and more difficult to grip. (Huge knobs in the 2012 were kind of cartoon-ish, but they were easy to use!)

after my first family road trip, I have to agree with you about those cup holders. It may seem like a whine session, but who designs a cub holder that can hold nothing less than a 42 oz. big gulp? I really think Toyota was asleep with this design.

I find the radio and navigation to be difficult to master - way too many icons to touch just to change the station.

The engine however does quite well excellerating and passing on mountain roads.
  • nowtomnowtom Member Posts: 4
    Things I like (about my 2015 LTD PLT)
    1. Drives and feels very solid , quiet and thus comfortable.
    2. I like the looks and overall interior quality and layout /design etc.
    -- I bought mine after a test drive of Honda Pilot (2016) XLE; which despite feeling smooth and powerful, did not hold a appeal in looks and interior layout section
    3. Radar Cruise Control, and lane guidance work as advertised, and I am enjoying every bit of it.
    4. I also found the rear traffic alert quite useful today, especially when backing out of a parking lot where multiple vehicles were entering (at an angle) continuously enough for me to lose track of one or other.

Things I don't like.
    1. Gear shift lever is not quite smooth. Coming from Honda, another vehicle I already own, it felt pretty notchy; low quality feel in shifting.
    2. The fabric cover for panoramic roof, gets very hot when driving around during a hot summer day and you can feel the heat from inside the vehicle. I suppose the cover is not thick and heavy to allow for low power motorized control.
    3. The conversation mirror when in use obstructs rear-view mirror view.
    4. Sound quality of audio system. I had test driven Honda Pilot (XLE) and its sound system sounded much better.
    5. On multiple occasions I have felt ventilated cooled seats did not ventilate enough; but on other occasions I have felt them working just fine. (maybe its just my perception)
    6. Coming from Honda, I am still not used to the cruise control stalk, it feels awkward.
    7. Cruise Control ON/OFF setting is not remembered after a power OFF, I need to press the stalk button again to engage it before I can use it. In my Honda I always leave it ON, so all I have to do is to press the SET button on the steering wheel once to get the cruise going; so convenient.

Just returned from a road trip with my 2015 XLE AWD and would comment that my favorite feature that you don't find on many other cars is the pop up rear window. We put 4 bikes on the rear hitch and would have no access to the hatch otherwise. Or when the car is completely packed stuff would want to fall out when the entire hatch was lifted. I also loved the space behind the third row seating - enough to place a medium size ice chest. The car performed great climbing mountains while fully loaded - 5 passenger, dog, 4 bikes and a bag on top.
    I do wish the top rails were further apart so I could fit more stuff up there with my travel tie down bag.
    With 5,900 miles I have a light (!) on saying I need to go in for service. At this point it's pretty much a tire rotation and some inspections. I called Toyota - made an appointment and then learned it takes 2 hours to perform the work. No thanks Toyota, I've got better things to do than wait for a 2 hour tire rotation and you're really not that close to my home anyway.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    just test drove one and immediately eliminated it from consideration. Not sure if it was the electronic steering but there was very little road feel. It felt like an old buick. I drove an acura rdx and mdx afterwards and it was a very different experience. No criticism intended about your car purchase. Just thought shoppers would like to know.
  • tkay2tkay2 Member Posts: 51
    Had my 2015 Highlander XLE and it's been great. Except wind noise seems excessive, times I check to see if windows is not fully closed, and the screen will go light then dark for no apparent reason. Had them check wind noise and they replaced the liner, however did not do the trick. My fault for not test driving on freeway. now have 18,000 miles about 1 year
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    toledo73 said:

just test drove one and immediately eliminated it from consideration. Not sure if it was the electronic steering but there was very little road feel. It felt like an old buick. I drove an acura rdx and mdx afterwards and it was a very different experience. No criticism intended about your car purchase. Just thought shoppers would like to know.

My Hyundai has three settings for the steering., comfort/normal/sport.

When you put it on sport, you have full feedback and on comfort, it feels like floating.

• lordhighlanderlordhighlander Member Posts: 2
    The 2016 Highlander is a great vehicle but lacking in the sound system, dissapointed. Hoping to find a solution.
  • aspurroscsaspurroscs Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 2015 Highlander after renting three times. This vehicle still amazes me. Last summer we towed a dual axle 17ft utility trailer loaded with a table saw, .miter saw, router table,  large tool box, and all the lumber to make a Murphy bed. Plus the Highlander was loaded with our luggage, four cats and a 150lb German Shepherd . I had installed trailer brakes and load leveling hitch with anti sway system. We towed that trailer without any problem from Charlotte,.NC to Virginia Beach, VA and back.
    I am disabled and this is the only car that has the distance between the drivers seat and the door post that will Allow me to get in and out.
    I like to drive and it is a real surprise in 1st gear. There is no lack of power.

The 2016 Highlander is a great vehicle but lacking in the sound system, dissapointed. Hoping to find a solution.

which version do you have? I find the sound on the XLE to have a very good sound system.