Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ABS Brake Lights/2006 Pacifica

tildatilda Member Posts: 4
edited March 2015 in Chrysler
My abs brake lights keeps flashing different times of the day. Took it to firestone they said it wasn't the braking system. They said I had to take it to the dealership and have them to check it out. Had to pay them 50.00 For that little bit of info. Then took it to the dealership they put it on the machine for the abs system, they said it was the sensors. Replaced all four of them. Lights still come on. I did notice that it flashes more when I play the radio. I turned the radio off for a few days it might go on once or twice, but now it has started to flash more. What else could it be. It is driving me crazi.

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited March 2015
    I don't have a Chrysler product currently, but I would be wondering about bad connection (corrosion) to sensor (s) or perhaps broken wire to same
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited March 2015
    The machines don't tell the techs what is wrong. The computers onboard the car for any system run tests on the system that they control and when one of those tests fail that triggers the warning light and of course code(s) are generated indicating what test failed are set. Something is wrong when someone say's something like "all four sensors were bad". You should have been experiencing ABS symptoms and warning lights for some time because they wouldn't all four just suddenly fail at the same time. Was this acting up for a while before you finally took it in? I can picture a situation where maybe some of the sensors have been having issues that if they weren't addressed in the past would be obvious system issues but not necessarily the reason that you finally brought it in for service.

There are other reasons for the warning lamp to come on. A loss of communication between the ABS module and the instrument cluster will result in the cluster turning the ABS lamp on too. However the instrument cluster should generate a code against the ABS for the loss of communication (that's an example of a test that failed). If there are no similar codes in the ABS module for a loss of communication with other modules then one has to consider that the ABS module shut down for some reason which could be a loss of power/ground or a communication line issue (among a few other possibilities).

In order to accurately diagnose this it may have to occur for the technician. How random of a problem is it at this time? Is there anything that you can determine, such as the length of time that the car must be driven, or the distance traveled that would make it likely for the lamp to flash as you described? The radio operation information is sort of what I would be looking for, but as presented above that is a bit of a stretch to make any association at this time.