Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How Far Would You Go for the Planet? Part I: Natural Gas Civic

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Honda
imageHow Far Would You Go for the Planet? Part I: Natural Gas Civic

Want to go

Read the full story here

Comments

• hugh_ahhugh_ah Member Posts: 2
    After almost nine years with my 2006 Honda GX, here are some thoughts: The PHILL costs almost exactly what you save over buying fuel at other sites, so it saves you nothing but inconvenience. (actually, with installation cost, it's FAR more that you save on gas)
    When either fuel filter decides it is clogged, your car shuts down. When any of the three "pressure switches" glitch, your car shuts down. Replacing any of those five parts costs more than $300 (each), so money-up! When you press on the accelerator, the car moves forward sometime in the near future, so learn to do it in advance. The stereo is awful, and molded into the dashboard to make sure it stays awful. The speakers are worse. But the car has so much road noise you won't listen to the radio anyway, or any hands-free devices either. Even with a microphone right next to your head, people will think you're riding in the back of a cement mixer.

About the Civic in general (and probably many other Hondas): The front valence panel is exactly high enough to slide over parking berms, and exactly low enough to catch on them while backing up, tearing it off the car. The radiator is plastic. If it is hit by road debris larger than pea gravel, you buy another one. (I'm on radiator #5 at 83,000 miles!). The electrical system is awful -- dome light out, power plug (cigarette lighter) out (that one on week 2!). I've owned several Hondas and the electrical system of every one was awful. Don't understand why Honda cannot do electricity. The steering wheel is "sculpted" which seems nice until the rubber rots off and you find there is no wheel cover on earth made to fit the car. The back window needs a washer/wiper because in the rain, it is like a shower door.

Now here's the good part. I have actually driven the car 270 miles on a tank (and not had to tow it). You can stretch oil changes way past 5,000 miles, and you are reducing particulate pollution while using domestic fuel.