Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you received a recall notice for your car, but decided that you're not going to take it in to get it fixed? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by Wednesday, September 26, 2018 telling us why you decided not to get the repair, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Car won't start after driving it for 10+ minutes

blat88blat88 Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Toyota
I have a 1.8L 95 Corolla that's been giving me issues for the past 2 weeks. (The wagon edition so I'm reluctant to give this baby up :cool: )

Problem:
After driving the car for 15 + minutes, I have to wait anywhere from 10-25 minutes to start the car back up again. Depending on how long I've driven for. So the car is having trouble starting on a warm engine is what I'm saying.

At first the car started normally in the morning, but as of late the first start of the day is a little rough. It'll crank normally for a second, do a very quick pause, crank again and start right up. It always starts cold though.

I've played around with it a little and after letting the car sit for an hour after driving is when it starts best; and by best I mean like normal. If I let it run for a minute then try starting it again the second start isn't as strong and takes a second longer.

3 weeks before this started happening I forgot to put my oil cap back on... Drove for half an hour and when I got out I noticed Oil was all over the front of my car. It was also all over the engine. I wiped off what I could, but not sure if this could have affected the wiring at all.

Next time I'm out I'm going to hit the starter with a hammer to see if it's the starter solenoid getting stuck. I've also ordered a new coolant temp sensor since it's a cheap part.

Keep in mind I'm not familiar with the engine, so I don't know where some things are. However I've done all the work on the car myself up until now, and I'm not planning on paying a garage. I did take it to a shop and they said it was the distributor, but they also didn't test anything and gave me a $600 estimate to replace it...