Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Center-Mounted Tachometer - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited April 2015 in Porsche
imageCenter-Mounted Tachometer - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

This update to Edmunds' long-term 2015 Porsche Macan S includes discussion on the SUVs brilliant instrument panel design which places the tachometer right where it should be - in the middle.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Posts: 863
    I'd agree in a manual Boxster or 911, but an SUV? I disagree here. This has an automatic, right? No PDK? Then why does RPM matter, especially in today's cars with cylinder deactivation and 8 speed transmissions? What am I missing here? Don't you see it go up to 4k, then down to 2.5k then back up to 3500, then back down to 2.5k again? I don't understand the importance.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Posts: 234
    You can pick which gear you want via the flappy paddles.
  • darexdarex Posts: 187
    All pretense -- especially in an automatic car. Even if it were a manual, the tach plays only a small role. Once the car's idiosyncrasies are learned, one shifts intuitively, and/or by sound, only rarely checking the tachometer for verification.
  • I like the center mounted tach. It's useful if you like to flirt with the redline when merging onto a highway.
  • joner800joner800 Posts: 80
    the ONLY thing i would change about these gauges is make the redundant digital MPH readout bigger. besides that, theyre perfect.
  • "I'd agree in a manual Boxster or 911, but an SUV? I disagree here. This has an automatic, right? No PDK? Then why does RPM matter, especially in today's cars with cylinder deactivation and 8 speed transmissions? What am I missing here? Don't you see it go up to 4k, then down to 2.5k then back up to 3500, then back down to 2.5k again? I don't understand the importance."

This thing apparently drives closer to a Boxster than anything this size and height should, especially if you spring for the adjustable suspension and air suspension, which Edmunds did not. It has a 7-speed PDK, not an 8-speed ZF automatic (which the Q5/SQ5 has). You're missing a lot here - basically everything.
  • I wish this was configurable. I don't need the RPM dial at all - not big, not small. I can't read it, nor do I want to. I want my cars to go fast, but I accomplish that by stepping on gas and letting the car figure it out.