Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• Options
    btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    My new RX330 is replacing a 97 Maxima that I thought handled very well, but this car handles better and I do not have the Perf. Package, I am very happy with the handling but I ahve never owned a BMW or similar type of vehicle. At the thousang mile chekup I had the dealer reprogram the vehicle so all the doors open when placed in park, very nice improvement, I have had 4 tanks of gas and am averaging 22MPG with mostly highyway miles. I have 1300 miles and I am very happy with this vehicle my only complaint is where do I put my cell phone?
    For the survey I am a 40YO male, and I do not think this is a chic car.
    Brian
  • Options
    46494649 Member Posts: 24
    I live in Maryland and my Lexus dealer says he cannot discount the 330 with NAV. They will discount the 330 without the NAV $1,000. Has anyone purchased the 330 with the NAV under Sticker price?
  • Options
    adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    Just took my 330 in for a 5K service and while looking aroung the lot noticed no 330's with NAV. Ran into my salesman and he stated that Lexus underestimated the demand for NAV, 25% vs 75% non-NAV production. Most folks walking in the door are asking for NAV. Dealers have been trying to turn this around but low supply vs demand is translating to little discount.
  • Options
    ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Regardless navigation or non-navigation system, your negotiation price must be 1,500 at least and 2,500+ at best. Go to different dealers to look for better offer. I got one for my wife with DVD system, no navigation and dealer offer 2,100 off sticker price at local in Boston. Good luck.
  • Options
    clburtonclburton Member Posts: 14
    They do have an 800 number for roadside assistance. I never used it on my 1993 GS300 and have not used it on my RX330. I don't know the specifics, but they will tow a certain amount of miles and they will put you up in a hotel if you are out of town. I would think any dealer could give you the details.
  • Options
    njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    There's only one way to find out: From the dealerships...
    I would try the fax attack once I am ready. What part of NJ do you live in? One thing I did notice is is that, the web sites do not list base AWD plus premium package. The very minimum seems to be premium plus.
    I will be in the market a couple of months from now. I don't want to start taking my test rides yet and let those experiences break my heart ;0)
    As it is, sleep has been a problem, trying to deciede between an FX, RX and a Murano.
    Good luck and do keep us posted as to how things proceed...
  • Options
    vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    I missed the point of that entertainment. But thanks to those that answered my question. The reason I am moving to Lexus from Mercedes is the "reputation" of quality. I have had too many issues with the ML430. It is good to have the 800-service number in case the powersteering fluid drains out like it happened to my ML430. I guess no Lexus owner ever experienced any problems that disabled their vehicle when they weren't at the dealer...:)
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Sounds like you'll always be unhappy that you didn't buy a X5/Cayenne/TourRag/FX45 which were all designed with higher-performance BMW-type handling in mind.

The good news is that you won't take a huge hit on selling your RX330 bec the demand is so high - I'd be surprised if you lose much at all as long as the miles are few.

Good luck.
  • Options
    laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    My previous vehicle also was a ML 430. It had 10X more defects than any other vehicle I've owned, plus the dealer demostrated an "affected attitude". The power steering hose clamp issue should have been addressed at least two years ago. Our Lexus vehicles have proved to be the quality cars we thought they were. later, ldf
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "chick".

But I have little doubt about the AWD RX330 being the best of the best, only to be exceeded, possibly by the coming RX hybrid.

It's short-comings are notable, FWD drive biased, lack of rear suspension clearance, flawed climate control design, and absolutely horrible Nav Ergonomics. But all of these have "ready" workarounds.

But then who of us really needs a new "toy" {gps/nav} that due to firmware flaws is basically useless and is really nothing more than an attractive nuisense, something more, other than cell phones and/or cigarettes, to needlessly distract the driver at times when attentiveness can be life-saving.

The only competition I see is the X5, and those are just a tad too expensive to justify the few assets they have over the RX330.

Maybe the coming X3??
  • Options
    awjenniawjenni Member Posts: 6
    I haven't yet explored the terms and conditions of the Lexus extended warranty so I don't know if they are the same, or similar, to the Mercedes ML430. If they are the same, be careful, as you may misunderstand the deal, the way I did. The terms actually make sense after thinking about them, but it was not what I thought I was buying.

The standard MB warranty is 4 years or 50K miles whichever comes first... just like the Lexus. I tend to drive a lot (approx 25K miles year) so the 50K always comes before the 4 years in my case.

The MB extended warranty is offered in several varieties. e.g. 1 additional year/100K miles, 2 additional years/100K miles etc. You buy one of these extended warranties to cover you after the standard warranty runs out.

Because I drive a lot I chose the 1 year and 100K option for my 2000 ML430.

Right now I have a vehicle that is a little over two years old with 60K miles. I was thinking that I was fat, dumb and happy... and that I am still covered for the next 40K miles. I know I'll reach 100K miles before I get to the 4 or 5 year mark but I will be covered for those 40K miles. WRONG!

I will only have coverage for a few months more. The EXTENDED warranty will run out when I have owned the car for about three years and have 70K miles one it.

Think about that! Maybe everyone else understands the way it works and I am just a dummy, but that is the way it works.

The reason is in the third paragraph above... and it makes sense. AN EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERS YOUR CAR AFTER THE STANDARD WARRANTY RUNS OUT.

My standard warranty actually RAN OUT this past January when I hit 50K miles. When the standard warranty runs out... the extended kicks in; the meter starts running. Next January, the extended warranty will expire. I will have owned the machine for a little over three years and have about 70K miles on it!

The only possible loophole is that if Mercedes doesn't KNOW that you have hit 50K miles in two years, the extended warranty meter will not start running. If you bring it in to the dealership for regular maintenance, they know the mileage.

It would presumably be possible to bring it in at 48K for service and then bring it in two years later with 97K and try to tell them that it has been sitting in your garage for the past eighteen months and you have been driving your brains out in the past few weeks.

I don't actually know if the provisions of the Lexus warranty are the same but I suspect they might be. It does make sense.

In my own case, it matters not as I have ordered an RX330 to replace the ML. It will be AWD, Performance, NAV, heated seats, white/ivory. Due in to the dealer in September. The ML is for sale (and the extended warranty is transferable!!),

Al Jennings
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Car & Driver complained that the 18" tire/wheel combo is more sensitive to road imperfections. Anyone has extended real-life testimony to the steering directional/on-centre stability of the 18" wheels/tires?
  • Options
    Does lexus (in Canada) offer a dealer-installed in-dash changer as a dealer-installed option? I want the Sport Package. I think I can live without the power rear gate, but I would really prefer to have an in-dash changer.
  • Options
    hey, as the RX's wheel diameter goes up, the sidewall measurement decreases, less sidewall, more rigidity, more (harsh) road "feel".
  • Options
    I don't really so much mind a harsher ride (after all, it's still a Lexus. How harsh could it get?). But I don't like twitchy steering with too much kickback. Hence my concern with the 18" tire/wheel option.
  • Options
    irazabulirazabul Member Posts: 3
    I negotiated a final price for my RX330 only to find out at the very end that an additional $385 was tacked on top from the PermaVin window etching.

Is this a common add-on for new car purchases? I agree to pay it because I was so sick of negotiating, but now I'm a little ticked off.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...as a grind at the end...what was the dealer going to do - sand it off?
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Say you don't want it. What are they going to do, lose a sale for $400?
  • Options
    Believe it or not, the VIN is marked on several places on / in your car and cars do get stolen just the same.
    Back in '99, I refused to pay for the window etching on my 2000 Camry, even though the dealer persisted that that's the only way I could buy a car from his lot. In the end, he gave in after making a big fuss about not being covered by the so called window etching company's insurance ;0)
    Put your feet down and say a firm NO! He will not let you walk, beleive me!
    I have said this in this forum before and I will say it again:
    Please refer to www.carbuyingtips.com; It is the most honest Car consumer advocacy site I have ever come across.
    Best of Luck ;0)!!
  • Options
    Hi!
    I live in NJ and I would like to hear from people who have traded in their cars for a new lexus in NJ. Do they only offer KBB values? One of the infiniti dealers based in central NJ has links to NADA guides for trade-in appraisal. The same company also has a Lexus dealership in South Jersey. Their lexus site links to KBB?!?
    Would be great if someone can provide feedback...
    Thank You!
  • Options
    demand for the deposit back and go else where for the new deal. $385 is worth over 2 months of gas OR 19 cases of Corona Extra. Why pay ???
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Final price should've included everything not price plus accessories plus whatever. Take your money and go elsewhere.
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Check with your local police department... they usually do this for free (or for a very modest fee) several times a year at specific events. Your dealer should know better. I'd feel like I was robbed --yes it is "only" $350, but I bet you if someone snatched a couple hundreds bucks from your hand you'd call the cops ASAP. That's exactly what your dealer did at the last second. Bringing in this fee as a "surprise!!" is something one might expect from "Fred's Auto" down the street -- NOT a Lexus dealer. Shame on them!
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    When I was shopping for my FX45 the local Infiniti dealer tried to hit me with a last-minute advertising fee that hadn't been mentioned before. I objected and went to another dealer, who agreed to match terms (actually a little better) and did not charge the extra advertising fee. When you think you have an agreement, and then the other party tries to change the agreement just before you're ready to close on it, I consider it to be an omen (a BAD omen) as to what you can expect in the future if a problem issue should ever come up. I'm all for a dealer trying to be as profitable as they can, but in dealing with their customers, honesty and integrity is a must. This is what we experienced when buying the FX from the second Infiniti dealer, as well as from Lexus of Wayzata when buying our RX330. First class operation, all the way.
  • Options
    alanekalanek Member Posts: 21
    When I sat down with the finance manager to finalize my purchase of a RX 330 I was hit with the option of having the window etching done to quote "Save money on insurance". I didn't think anything short of Lojac would save me money so I declined. The price was $199.
    At the same time they offered me a wheel and tire insurance policy that would cover bent rims and punctured tires from road hazards for $299. With a $500 comprehensive deductible it sounded like a good idea. However I offered him $199 and he accepted.
  • Options
    damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    I test drove an RX330 with Premium Plus (not Performance) package. It had 18" wheels. I definitely noticed the "squirreliness" when changing lanes. Sometimes this can be attributed to the tread design on the tires. Tires with straight groves (as opposed to grooves that zigzag) can exacerbate the problems.
    Compare to my 2003 Acura MDX (and previous 2001 MDX), I thought the RX330's handling was a little unsettling - especially during lane changes on some types of pavement. I also thought the the MDX was more stable on the highway. I was disappointed with this. I had expected the RX330 to handle better in normal driving, as it is a smaller, lighter vehicle.
    I just read my neighbor's post about the RX330 being and "evil handler". He has 18" wheels. I'll try to get more info from him.
  • Options
    Joel,

I did I get that right? Did you just get both an FX45 and an RX330? If so, can you give pros and cons of both? I've heard that the FX rides very harshly - especially with the 20" wheels. I have also heard that the RX is a more practical and liveable vehicle. I like the FX, but I'm also concerned about resale and other unknowns.
  • Options
    ckdedmonckdedmon Member Posts: 7
    Personally, I love everything about the RX330 except for the handling. I haven't noticed the "squirreliness" of the ride, but I did not go on a long test drive. What concerned me was the amount of body roll during turns. Being used to the controlled rides of BMWs, it almost seemed a little disconcerting to round corners in the Lexus.

My dilemna is deciding between the X5 and the RX330. I like the Lexus for its luxury, its reliability, its service, and its lower price...but I like the way the BMW drives. Decisions, decisions!
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I just posted a short comparison on the FX35/FX45 board - see #922.
  • Options
    The few times I have test driven an X5. years apart each, I felt it handled like a pickup truck. On the other hand, the RX, is closer to the LS400.

Each to his own taste, but I don't need the harshness of a pickup in an around the town SUV.

Acknowledging that I would whole-heartedly prefer the X5 over the RX on adverse roadbed on-road conditions, and at the same time that for me those conditions rarely exist.

The RX330 is a winner, even with its flaws.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please update your user profile to include a current active email address. Our Terms of Use require a valid email address.

Thanks.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Man this board has been active. I guess the 330 sales numbers are bearing out. Just got back from at 3600-mile vacation round-trip to/from Florida. Really pleased with the overall performance (avg 24 MPG) and the NAV was worth its weight in gold. Steering became a little off-center. Took it in for the free 5K-mile service and the tech rotated the tires and checked the camber and now the steering is spot on.
  • Options
    Are they actually doing that now?

Telling you the first service is free if you do it at 5k?

In the past the 5k service only applied to cab drivers and folks with more money than good sense.

But I suppose the dealer is correct, getting you settled into the cab driver 5k intevals early and for free can do nothing but help their bottom line in the long term.

Normal use service interval is 7.5k miles.
  • Options
    are free. My experience with Lexus is if you're going find something it will show up early, so I like this policy (come to think of it, don't know if this is a dealer or Lexus policy). Main reason I wanted to put it through its paces and wring it out prior to the 5K service.
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Is it possible to lock the RX330, but keep the tailgate unlocked, just closed. I use the cargo area a lot, am in and out of it a lock, and do not want to keep it locked. I can easily do this on my RX300,
    but it also has a trunk key
  • Options
    bmwbob27bmwbob27 Member Posts: 35
    No I'm not ready to sell it yet!! Just a note to let you all know of the RX's for sale in my area (Santa Rosa/ San Rafael,CA). I took my 330 to the Santa Rosa Lexus dealer for the "Well Baby" check-up and programing the door locks. When I came to pick it up there were 2 salesmen showing 2 couples my car. Freeman Santa Rosa) Lexus does not have any RX330's to show or demo. I traveled to San Rafael and stopped into Lexus of Marin and checked their inentory. They have 8- 330's maybe 9 for sale on the lot. Included were 3 identicle Flint Mica/Black leather, AWD with the performance package. All were priced at $43,313. 2 FWD, and 1 with the Levinston/intertainment package. Also a Flint Mica/Black fwd with the 3 panel moonroof at $39,898. This one may be already sold. Anyway, if you can't find your 330, jump on Jet Blue and head to Oakland,CA. The flight costs about $120. Take Bart to Richmond then Golden Gate Transit to San Rafael to Lexus's front door. You can steal one of these cars. Check my previous post #824. The money that you will save will pay for the trip home. Kind'a like the Europeon Delivery for BMW.
  • Options
    ship. They may be able reprogram to disable tailgate lock.
  • Options
    benxxbenxx Member Posts: 6
    Shouldn't the rear entertaiment system be able to play mp3? I popped in an mp3 disc and it didn't work. BOTH DVD and VCD work fine.
  • Options
    What make you think the system is able to play mp3? Did the sales tell you that? DVD, VCD and MP3 are all different formats.
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Are reportedly set to explode in the near future. Toyota supposedly has models in Japan that will play DVD Audio for instance.

Lot of talk that beginning in 2004, they will support MP3s, DVDA, SACD and even digital radio (not satellite radio).
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    mrrogers: Check out my posts #37 and #22 within the "buying a new lexus rx330" discussion. This may answer your questions, especially if you are an Arizona resident.
  • Options
    tsmith67tsmith67 Member Posts: 19
    I need help deciding between 17 and 18 inch wheels. Which are better and why? Is there a difference in ride and handling? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    18" are supposed to give you better "performance", but the penalty is ride quality. I think most people go for the larger wheels because it looks better. I prefer the 17" wheels on the RX330 in terms of ride and performance. The ride is noticable quieter and smoother. Lane changes are far less unsettling. I haven't pushed an RX 330 hard enough to notice any improvement with the 18" wheels. Still, I would consider the 18" wheels because the vehicle looks better with them.
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    JM Lexus, Margate, FL claims to have 155 new RX330's in stock including the "unavailable" fabric interiors.
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Thank you for your informative post about the CA sales tax issue. I will check with my DMV in Ohio. Years ago when I purchased a Florida car, I paid no sales tax in Florida, and paid sales tax when I registered the car in Ohio.
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I collided at an intersection with another car. Both of us thought we had a green light. I damaged the front of my RX330. It was still driveable after the accident, and thankfully nobody was hurt. I really miss the Lexus. I have two other vehicles to drive, but I prefer the Lexus.

I rented a Lincoln Towncar, and while the ride is nice, the interior quality isn't up to Lexus standards. The leather isn't as soft and the tactile feel of the buttons lacks quality. I don't even think that Lincoln offers a navigation system in the Towncar. I hope that I get my RX back soon.
  • Options
    bmwbob27bmwbob27 Member Posts: 35
    I found something positive about my 330. I've owned Mercedes and BMW's (still do) and I'm always cleaning the wheels. The brake pads are so soft that they dust up the wheels and always looks "grubby" The Lexus absolutley does not cause any wheel dusting. This is a "Good Thing" How's Martha doing anyway??
    I checked the JMLexus site from the tip from MrRogers. He's correct. They have about 150- 330's in stock. Look for yourself, www.jmlexus.com. Talk to you all soon. Bob
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Three editors at AutoWeek had a lot of praise for the RX 330:

http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autowe- - ek&cat_code=carboard&content_code=03016216&Search_Typ- - e=STD&Search_ID=1429719&record=1

Mandel - "Drive it and you get a real sense of comfort, security and ability. This company has been able to imbue its products with its own sense of being, through its hardware, and that is a very difficult thing to accomplish."

Hart - "...this one's the leader."

Blahnik - "The RX felt sturdy and well put together. I think they used great materials, and it shows..."
  • Options
    So ture. For a while, I thought BMW has some sort of deals with the wheel cleaner companies. It took me 20 mins to clean the wheels on my wife's bimmer and took only 20 mins for the rest of the car. Now I am happy she got the RX330.
  • Options
    Ouch!!