Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• cbest1465cbest1465 Member Posts: 25
    I just purchased my leased RX and financed it through LF and my rate came out to 1.64%. I was shocked because they beat my credit union rate. Now this could have been a rate for a "used" / certified vehicle instead of a brand new one.
  • emergingemerging Member Posts: 1
    Any way i can get the stereo w/o all the bells and whistles of nav.system ,etc.?? And how much should it cost me?? I'm looking at getting an '05-RX330.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I own a 2001 model and have spoken to a number of individuals locally who have purchased the 330. Several of them prefer the older model due to limited rear vision with the pillars and larger size.

Do other present and past owners agree?
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    The 330 is superior in every way I can think of. The turning radius is much shorter which makes a big difference. Transmission, engine power, suspension, all improved. If the view out the rear window is smaller, it doesn't present a problem.
    I own a 2001 model and have spoken to a number of individuals locally who have purchased the 330. Several of them prefer the older model due to limited rear vision with the pillars and larger size.

Do other present and past owners agree?
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    This is my third RX (previously '99 & '01) and the 330 is by far the best with all the improvements. Sometimes when I'm driving, I feel bad for those who had just purchased a '03 because of the vast differences in handling and technology. After saying all that, I had also opted for the Performance Package which also has increased my driving pleasure!

If Lexus keeps it up, I don't think I'll ever buy another brand again.
    Do you find the car larger?

The change in center console storage compartments does not seem as good.

Any other thoughts?

thank you.
  • peggyloupeggylou Member Posts: 40
    RParis
    I have an 02 but got to drive an 04 for 2 weeks due to my tranny going out 1 week after I bought the car! Anyway, I was happy to get my car back, for myself I prefer the old style. Some features I do wish I had from the new car include the rain sensing wipers, hte improved turning radius, and the nifty power tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Things I don't like are the center console, the plastic air intake manifold (my ford windstar had one and I had to replace it not once but TWICE to the tune of $1200 each time), the outside mirrors tipping down every time you go into reverse (maybe can adjust thru C-best?), reduced visibility, and overall the increased size of the car. For myself, I like the slightly smaller 300, I just don't need a huge vehicle no matter how well it handles. Also, visually I don't like the mix of chrome and wood. One or the other please! But, they are both good cars, and you can't go wrong either way. But unless you have money just buring a hole in your pocket, I don't see the need to sell a 300 to get a new 330, I'd drive the old one till it dies and save some $. The hybrid might tempt me though, if I had the money.

PeggyLou
  • peggyloupeggylou Member Posts: 40
    I posted this over on the 300 board but didn't get much feedback. Thought I would try over here. Does anyone have experience with using Mobil 1 in their 300/330? I have an 02 CPO RX300 and want to keep it to about 200K miles so want to take the best possible care of it. My dealer is using a grade III synthetic oil (eg hydrocracked regular oil) instead of the full synthetic Mobil 1. Am thinking about just bringing my own oil in for the changes. Any experience or advice one way or the other?

Thanks for the help
    PeggyLou
  • doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    we just sold our 2000 RX300 and bought a 2004 RX330. The RX330 does feel a little bigger. But the turning radius is much improved. The transmission is not as slow as the old one. The ride is a bit firmer--less leaning on exit ramps. Overall, we like the RX330 better.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    For anyone interested we do have a discussion on Synthetic motor oil that you might find helpful.

tidester, host
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    RE a couple of your complaints on the 330. The center console will slide back and forth and if you leave the outside mirror selection switch in the center position, they will not tilt when in reverse.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I personally like the 330's interior combination of wood and aluminum trim. Obviously, it's not real aluminum, but painted plastic that provides a reasonable fascmile. There are thin chrome rings around the instrument gauges, but nothing that stands out and screams at you. For me, it presents a reasonable balance of class and sportiness. (Real aluminum would be better!)

Speaking of chrome, one cosmetic attribute I really like on the RX330/RX300, versus the competition from Infiniti and Acura, is the body-colored exterior door handles. It seems that Infiniti and Acura really love them chrome door handles. I don't!!
  • jteejtee Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have an idea of changes in 2005 pricing?
    Also what could be the release date of 2005 model year?
    Thanks
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    - 4th Gen Nav w/ Bluetooth
    - Adaptive Headlights packaged w/ HID
    - 8-way passenger seat
    - Compass in all rearview mirrors (incl Nav)
    x Gray interior dropped from Black Forest Pearl
    x Black interior dropped from Neptune Blue Mica
    x Smart Key NOT available (some had hopefully rumored)

My dealer says September 26
    What is a smart key?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Smart Key=Key you can leave in your pocket or purse and the doors will unlock as you near the car and will start by just pressing a button on the dash.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    maxhonda99 is correct. I had seen several posted rumors of Smart Key for 2005 on more than one Lexus board so I asked my dealer (By the way I am good friends with the New Car Sales Manager so the source for the changes posted above are reliable).

I am debating between an '05 RX330 or an '05 FX35 and Smart Key technology is a desirable option to me (particularly useful for my wife, who would not have to remove the keys from her purse); so score one for Infiniti.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I guess the car will lock itself up when you are over certain distant, correct? What if people are still in the car while you go into a store to buy something? If people try to get out after the car locked itself, would it set off the alarm ?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If people try to get out after the car locked itself, would it set off the alarm ?

I don't have one of them but, generally, locks are designed to keep people out - not in.

tidester, host
    wouldn't it be the same as if someone tries to open/unlock the door from the outside using a stick or hanger?
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    No. With the SmartKey system, there is a small black button on the door handle. When leaving the vehicle, in order to lock it, you must either push this button or push the lock button on the key fob.

The only time the doors lock automatically are if you unlock the vehicle using the key fob and do not open the doors within 30 seconds or when you take the vehicle out of park/accelerate up to 15 miles per hour (depending on C-Best settings).
  • bobz11bobz11 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to remove the rear bumper for a 2004 RX330? I need to replace the left rear light and can't get at it.
    Have the dealer do it as unless you have been driving a lot, it will be covered under warranty.

RP
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    REmove the torx screws holding the mud guard and the mud guard itself and then there is a bolt, 10mm, at the very front of the seam separating the bumper dress panel wraparound and one screw at the bottom that will be exposed once you remove the mud guard.

Pry the panel outward at the edge of the wheelwell to get at the 10mm bolt. There is a nylon ball and socket further back along the seam that you want to be sure is matched up and seated as you put things back together.
  • mbradymbrady Member Posts: 5
    2005 price increased $280. Releases 1st week in Sept, i take delivery of mine in 2 weeks.
  • dorothykdorothyk Member Posts: 31
    Lexus officially announced the 2005 Lexus Rx330 pricing on Sept 3:

"The RX 330 luxury utility vehicle has been enhanced for 2005 by adding the power rear liftgate, 8-way power passenger seat, and a wood steering wheel and shift knob to the list of standard features. The available Lexus Navigation System gets upgraded software, and adds voice activation and Bluetooth® capability. Both RX models get a price increase of $500 with the MSRP for the RX 330 FWD model at $35,775 and the RX 330 AWD model at $37,175."

Some dealerships here in Southern California already have some 2005 models in stock with additional vehicles arriving in the next few weeks.

According to my local dealer, the EPA mileage for the 2005 Lexus RX330 has been reduced by 1 mpg compared to the 2004 models. Although the dealer did not have an explanation, I wonder if this reduction is a result of changes made to the computer-controlled transmission to improve acceleration and remove the transmission lag some people have complained about.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    "According to my local dealer, the EPA mileage for the 2005 Lexus RX330 has been reduced by 1 mpg compared to the 2004 models. Although the dealer did not have an explanation, I wonder if this reduction is a result of changes made to the computer-controlled transmission to improve acceleration and remove the transmission lag some people have complained about."

Does anyone have more info about this?
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    Local dealer told me sticker says the same 18/24 mpg at least on the AWD version.
  • babysnowbabysnow Member Posts: 48
    i've had two different dealers tell me that adaptive headlights in the 2005 rx330 will only be available in the top of the line model which includes the rear entertainment system.
    Hmmmm ... from what I've seen, they're on ALL 05s with the HIDs .... you can go to www.lexus.com and build a car and the packages sent out in your area will come up. You'll see that the AFS are on all cars with HIDs.
  • rx330ownerrx330owner Member Posts: 16
    Does any one know of a web site that sells Lexus OEM parts such as wiper blade inserts, air cabin filters, etc.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    irontoad.com

They have some RX330 parts, such as the interior cabin filters.

I had good success with them on some BMW accessories.
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Also, there is http://yodaparts.com. Look at post #2558 by rx4me.
    Seems like the in dash 6 disc is now a separate option on the new packages coming out as well. Before it seemed included in the Premium Packages and up, now it seems to be an option.

On the Lexus website it looks like it's with the package, but then it's listed again as a separate option under that. When pricing on websites I have noticed I have to add the 6 disc in dash for $500 to make the MSRP add up to the one on the Lexus site.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    Bought my first Lexus last night, a 2004 RX330 that had been in the loaner fleet. It's got 26k on it, but nothing other than scheduled servicing and looks brand new. I just came out of an unfortunate experience with an FX35 that resulted in a Lemon Law buyback, and after flirting with getting a CPO Mercedes or Audi wagon, checking out Saab and VW Wagon, and even the Honda Pilot, the RX330 had the best combo of comfort and reliability for the long haul (I put about 20-25k/year on vehicles). My father has a 1999 GS300 with 140k on it and nothing but scheduled service, and I'm hoping for the same experience.
    Welcome to the club! The RX330 is a great vehicle.

I do want to caution you so that your expectations will be realistic. The RX330 (and any Lexus) is a great vehcile with much better quality than anything else out there. However, the GS300 is nearly bullet proof. They are the gold standard for reliability and quality.

You'll have a good experience with your RX330, I'm sure, but I drove a GS300 for a while while my RX was being built and, while I live my RX and don't regret having it, the GS was the most rock solid, quality vehicle I have ever driven.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    After my experience with the Infiniti, I realize that even cars with the best reputation for reliability can have trouble. I'm just hoping lightning doesn't strike twice and I'll have this for 7-8 relatively trouble free years.
    Great.

Regarding the cars themselves (other than realiability), I'd love to hear your comparisons/contrasts.
    ncvol, welcome to the club and ditto what mfulmer said. I'd also be curious to read your post on what went wrong with the FX35, because we were thinking of getting the FX45, at one time.

mfullmer, I'd be interested to hear more about your GS300 v. RX330 experiences because we are looking to get a sporty type sedan, soon.
    Gardencar - happy to oblige. When we first ordered our Lexus (RX), in February '04, we were right at the turn in point for our Cadillac STS. Because AWD is very hard to get here in the SE and they had never even sold an RX with the Nav/ML package, it took two months to get the car from the day we ordered it. They offered a loaner car until it came in (I'm still very impressed with that). They gave us the Service Managers GS300 "Sport Design" Demo. This was absolutely gorgeous car. Other than the fact that I don't normally like white cars, it was white with the saddle interior - stunning. It was fully loaded with ML and Nav. I enjoyed that car so much that, if I wasn't looking for a convertible when I got my Solara in August, I would have definitely bought a GS.

It was so rock solid, I felt like I was driving a early 90's model MB E class. I don't know how do describe it you might want to just drive one. They are remarkable and have a lot of power.
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    In addition to being stuck with Toyota's transmission/drive by wire screw up that they won't fix, we paid too much for it.

Toyota's profit was $10.24 BILLION in fy2003, more than GM, Ford, and Daimler-Chrysler combined! Toyota/Lexus is charging (and we are paying)way too much for their diminishing quality.
  • tearsintheraintearsintherain Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I am about to purchase a new 2005 Lexus RX330 in southern california. It comes with the nav system and a few other perks. The MSRP is $45015, the invoice is $39132, and the purchase price I have negotiated is $40499. The payment plan they offer with $20k down is $477/mo on a 60 month purchase (this is NOT a lease).

Is this a decent deal or am I getting screwed? Any tips anyone can give me? This is my first new car purchase ever, I have always bought used but have enough money banked that I feel I can reward myself, but still want to be smart :)

I appreciate any help anyone can offer!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the buying Tips and Advice tab at the top of the page for lots of advice, and check out the TMV pricing for your zip code on the New Cars pages.

Steve, Host
    Ok,

$40,499 is a VERY GOOD price for the vehicle.

The financing is not quite clear though. How much is the total that you are financing? I'm not sure whether you are including taxes or not but if I plug in a finance amount of $22,499 (number out of my head since you didn't state the finance amount) then that would be a whopping 9.95%!!!!!

Find out what percentage they are using, go to your credit union, bank or lendingtree.com and find out what you qualify for in the real world. Once you do, plug your finance amount, rate, and term into the calculator at bankrate.com and you'll see what your monthly amount should be. At this point it looks outrageous!
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Sorry, but I disagree. Toyota's profit reflects the value consumers place upon their products. It's a free and very competitive market and Toyota is a winner.

Of course, you're entitled to buy your next car from GM or Ford to help their bottom line and give you what you perceive is a better value.

I'm very happy with the value Lexus offers.
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    Respectfully, I think you missed the point. Toyota motors is not a "winner" when it tells it's customers to live with a transmission problem or oil sludge.

As far as my next purchase, that's easy. My 2001 F150 has been in the shop less in 3 years than my 3 month old toyota product. And its safe to drive, it accelerates when you push the gas pedal.
  • babysnowbabysnow Member Posts: 48
    it's late and i've had a long day so i'm too tired to vent properly but i wanted to give new car owners a head's up. after i completed my paperwork for my car, i was told by my salesman that every 3rd sat of the month the dealership offers a navigation class (for those too lazy or not tech inclined) where they go over the basics of nav and some of the more advance features. i was told that i'd be invited to the oct. session. since my hubby and i have plans for an extended road trip early oct. i asked to get into the sept session instead. to make a long story short, after nearly a week of hounding the sales girl (first i didn't get my invitation in the mail like she said i would, then she needed to check for availability/space in the class... it gave me nitemare flashbacks of college registration!), i finally got the ok and the time for the class (she also told me the wrong time but luckily someone else called and told us the right time). when the class starts, to my horror, the sales manager welcomes me to their new car clinic! i wanted to bolt but it was too late. for the next 1h45 mins (even tho it was only supposed to be 1hr) i was trapped inside listening about cbest settings, what octane to use, what's rds, how when nav speaks french it's really sexy. i learned NOTHING!! o, and to add salt to injury, the class was most conducted by a really old guy that tried to guide us tho nav by memory and kept getting mixed up! i could go on and on but what's the point... just beware!

there is, however, a sliver lining to this sad waste of my sat morning. there was a raffle at the end. my lucky hubby picked out his own number and we won $25 parts/accessories certificate!! o and i forgot... everyone was given a mug with a 15% off any part/accessory in stock vaild for that day only. wohoo!! jackpot!!
    I'm sorry you're not happy with your Lexus. That's what forums are for, so we can share our opinions.

However, I don't feel that I am being ripped off by Toyota, and I don't see how their making $10.4 billion, more than GM, Ford, and Daimlier/Chrysler combined, shows this. This just means that they are more successful at meeting people's needs and satisfying their perceptions of what's a better value. JD Powers and Consumer Reports consistently rank Toyota and its Lexus division highest or among the highest in customer satisfaction, year after year.

I also own a Ford product, an Explorer. I have been extremely happy with it and has proven as reliable as both Lexus products I have owned. However, I know of other owners who have had to take their Explorers in for repair many more times than I. Although the transmission hesitation and the engine sludge have been misses by Toyota engineering, they are few when compared to the numbers of recalls and reliability issues plaguing products from the big three American car manufacturers.

On the subject of value, five years from now, when it comes time to trade in or sell my vehicles, the Ford will have lost two thirds of its value, while the Lexus in comparison, will have retained two thirds of its value.

Other than the tranny hesitation, you have not posted what it is about your RX330 that you are so unhappy about. Did you have the TSB done? If it is that bad, maybe you can have recourse to the lemon laws of your state.