Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Coachella's Answer to the Bus and Beetle? - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in MINI
imageCoachella's Answer to the Bus and Beetle? - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Mini Cooper is the perfect ride to Coachella.

Read the full story here

Comments

• darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    edited April 2015
    Zero respect for someone who doesn't read the owner's manual ahead of time, and then complains that life is hard. Also, it's the same iDrive system that's appeared in BMW models for the past 5 years, give or take. It's hard if you don't read the manual, but easy and intuitive if you have.

Ever heard of a $5 dual-USB CLA charger? There. Now you have 3. Need more cup holders? One is behind the arm rest, and two more are in the back.

Seriously, is this review a joke?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The idea behind intuitive controls is to obviate the need for reading a manual. My wife's iPad didn't come with a manual and the only time you look for iPad support is when you're trying to do something obscure. I can move between XP and Windows 10 without having to do more that glance at the screen. You should never have to look up how to operate the wipers or turn the defrost on in a car that's new to you.

Car manufacturers are usually a few years behind the tech curve (compare a Garmin to most in-dash navs), so yeah, a lone USB port is about two short. We'll be stuck with kludge dongles hanging out of the dash for a couple more years.
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    stever said:

The idea behind intuitive controls is to obviate the need for reading a manual.

She didn't even know the iDrive controller was there !!

Car manufacturers are usually a few years behind the tech curve (compare a Garmin to most in-dash navs), so yeah, a lone USB port is about two short. We'll be stuck with kludge dongles hanging out of the dash for a couple more years.

In a car this small, you would not expect the same number of outlets as a 3-row SUV. It' s just not a comparable situation.

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I dunno, the dark blue paint job on the mini is very buttoned down and corporate looking. Not a very coachella-ish vibe at all.
    The orange Stang screams rock n' roll, of which there were a few acts... (AC/DC who?)

Nice to see Pardilla pop up. Who else is Edmunds hiding back there?
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38

I dunno, the dark blue paint job on the mini is very buttoned down and corporate looking. Not a very coachella-ish vibe at all.
    The orange Stang screams rock n' roll, of which there were a few acts... (AC/DC who?)

Caroline only took a car because her penny farthing daily driver wouldn't make it to Indio.

EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Man buns...you captured it! Good post.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    cameronr said:

Caroline only took a car because her penny farthing daily driver wouldn't make it to Indio.

It would too.
    Eventually.