Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Transmission reprogram - 2008 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited April 2015 in smart
imageTransmission reprogram - 2008 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe Long-Term Road Test

We lived with the 2008 Smart fortwo for a year. Read all about our daily driving experiences in our long-term road test.

Read the full story here

Comments

• francadfrancad Posts: 1
    I want to know why more people haven't come forward about the engine problems? I have an '08 smart ForTwo Passion and the only thing I am passionate about is getting rid of it! I have taken meticulous care of my care and follow a strict maintenance schedule but the motor is shot! My mechanic is at a loss. He doesn't understand why the vehicle is such a problem. I have gone to many smart blogs and have heard many complaints about the engine all the same as mine and most with less miles than mine. I have just over 80k on my car but most write about problems at 20k, 30k, and 50k. All of the problems mirror what my mechanic describes. Why hasn't there been a recall?
  • I am at 120,000 miles, with one coil pack and spark plugs replaced, oil changes at 3000-4000 miles, front brakes, and front hub bearings. I put a Solo exhaust on it at about 60,000 miles and a K and N filter. It does have the morning sickness with no reverse or drive until you restart the engine. This little car has been bullet-proof since day one and still going. The Solo exhaust may be the key to the engine longevity. Added 2 MPG, 7-8 HP, big car noise, and the fun factor is priceless. Smarty is an '08.