Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

TUNDA V6 verses V8

ladder80ladder80 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the 3.4-liter v6 vers the 4.7-liter v8. I am looking to buy a 2003 access cab sr5 4x4 am leaning twards the v8 but was curious if anyone has a v6 if it is enough power or not. I do pull a 3,500 lb boat on ocassion. any thoughts would be helpfull. Thank's

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    its always better to be overpowered than underpowered

Would you rather complain you have to much power than to little?

Go for the V-8
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have had both engines. The V6 was find for the regular cab I owned. I now have the V8 in a SR5 4X2. If you're considering the 4X4 SR5, then go ahead and get the V8 considering the weight of the truck. It isn't that much difference in price now, but there will be on the day you sell it.
  • Options
    ladder80ladder80 Member Posts: 4
    I have looked into it a little further am going with the V8 thank's for the advice. Pluss mpg is only 1-2 mpg difference.
  • Options
    kevinmhuynhkevinmhuynh Member Posts: 6
    I'm planning to buy Tundra 4 dr, V6 and 2WD...
    What should I do on EDMUNDS config...?
    MSRP 22015...option package 2979 ..Total
    $25,504...Invoice with option total $22,703...True market value on Edmunds is $23,435. Right now with 2000 rebate...should I minus $2000 of $25,504 or minus $23,435???
    PLEASE give me some advice. Very appreciate it.
    How much should I offer ?
  • Options
    lagitanelagitane Member Posts: 25
    Ok, you guys, here's one for you. For those who have experiences with both, which would you prefer to drive provided the Dealer's final price was the same, both are extra cabs, (2 door in the Tundra), both with the same options (except that you can get an off-road pkg with the Pre-Runner, but alas not the V-6 Tundra (Why? I wonder). Anyway, having a struggle with this decision. I do alot of commuting, but like to take to the mountains on week-ends when I can. Need some power and decent traction. Dealer likely won't go for a trade to a Taco V-6, 4x4, or I'd do that in a heart beat. But, I'm like way upside down already.

Now, ryanbab will likely have a fit over this, but I have a Tundra V-8, loaded w/TRD pkg, BUT gas is killing me (and high payments). I really screwed up. I miscalculated my budget by about $200 or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That is why I need to return it and try to trade it for either of the above mentioned vehicles before I start putting mileage on it. I love this V-8. It is an exceptional truck, but don't think bankruptcy sounds like something I'd like to go through. Working a second job or eating rice and beans for the next 6 years is always an option, I suppose, but not very much fun.

Feedback needed ASAP and anything helpful you have to say will be much appreciated. I know, I know, didn't put much forethought into this purchase, but I'm under a lot of stress, and human, and I really messed up.
This discussion has been closed.