Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pedal Placement Keeps Lost Art of Heel-and-Toe Alive - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Ford
imagePedal Placement Keeps Lost Art of Heel-and-Toe Alive - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Not all manual-transmission cars make heel-and-toe downshifting easy. The pedals in the 2015 Ford Mustang GT are placed well, helping you work on this lost art.

Read the full story here

Comments

• john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    This is great design. For the vast majority of people who drive this car, it is now much easy to hit the accelerator and brake when you just meant to hit just hit the break pedal. Does anyone ever consider that in the winter some people wear need to big fat boots that lack much feel. Given that you guys test cars in southern California, it is understandable that you are not aware of the problem, but this car is designed in Detroit where they do have winter!
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Sports cars should not be designed to be driven while wearing big fat boots.
    You can always take a long a change of shoes, or get into your SUV.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    +1. This complaint is similar to the one post the other day about how the performance pack suspension & seats are too uncompromising for use in a DD...not a lot of Mustang GT DDs...
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    I test drove a Mustang GT and the gas peddle had a ton of play in it. It did nothing for about the first two inches.
    I drove another and the peddle was fine but the steering column had a vibration in it.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    What's interesting is that there are several threads on the 2015 Mustang forum that I frequent that complain that the brake pedal is too high and hard, and the throttle too far away laterally, for easy heel-toe. One company has already put out a gas pedal extension to mitigate this. I honestly think they are not doing it correctly, or at least doing it at very light brake applications which admittedly is difficult in this car. It's a breeze in more substantial brake application. But I do still stick to the old ball on foot-swing out heel technique as many shoes I have are too narrow to space the gap and still have confident brake application. Except in winter with boots. The easiest cars to heel-toe in are BMW's...and in these I use the side foot technique described in the post...where I use the same technique, same motion no matter what the brake pressure or type of footwear I have on.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I've been driving manual for about 8 years or so and I've always been too scared to try heel-and-toe. I wear size 13 shoes and I have pretty wide feet.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I always heel and toe, using the method described in this post. It's 50% of the art of driving stick, and probably 75% of the fun.
  • anotherdrunkanotherdrunk Guest Posts: 30
    nice shoes
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    And here I thought the high point of my manual driving career was tooling around with a broken left leg in a cast. Toe clutch with my right foot to get the Tercel moving in first, then rev match to shift through the rest of the gears.