Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Which truck is best for my needs....

erichenbergererichenberger Member Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Ram
I drive between 20 - 25k miles a year. In the upcoming years, I will be towing a travel trailer (25 - 30ft), and hope to upgrade to a 5th wheel over the next 10 years. Towing would include 1 - 2 major trips a year across country and into the mountains (we want to visit every National Park), and about 1mini-trip to state parks a month. I'm currently in an EcoDiesel that had been plagued with problems... simply a bad on the assembly line and now I have the option to move into another vehicle.

I love the concept of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.... high mpg, ability is pretty good at 420lbs of torque. I have also considered the 2500 Cummings I-6 Diesel because I pretty much wouldn't have a need for another truck for hopefully 10-15 years.

I guess my question is.... which of those two options would be best for what I am doing? Are there gas makes and models out there that I should consider? Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    What's the weight on that "travel trailer (25 - 30ft)"? If it is not a "light weight" model, in particular if it has one or more slide-outs, you really, really want / need a 3/4 ton, heavy duty truck. And that requirement / necessity gets even stronger when you start talking about a 5th wheel.

My preference is for the Ford. I pulled a 5th wheel for several years with an F250 diesel, absolutely loved the truck, but far too big to fit into parking garages and tight parking spaces. I have heard good things about the Dodge with the Cummins diesel, if you're partial to Dodges.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I tow a 25' travel trailer with at 1500, and it is fine, but I'm not driving over the Rockies. Go on a travel trailer forum. There are LOTS of opinions there, but I think that you will need at least a 2500 diesel. You decide whether you like Ram, or GM or Ford.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT