Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

An Extra-Large Rear-Facing Convertible Car Seat Fits, But Rear-Hinged Doors Not Ideal - 2014 BMW i3

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in BMW
imageAn Extra-Large Rear-Facing Convertible Car Seat Fits, But Rear-Hinged Doors Not Ideal - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Although a compact rear-facing convertible car seat fits well in our 2014 BMW i3's backseat, an extra-large convertible car seat is a real squeeze in this EV.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I think BMW clearly has no intention for this car to be used for carrying car seats. Rear hinged doors and rear facing car seats are always a bad combination.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I think the huge bolsters on that oversize child seat are a bigger threat to your child's safety than anything else I have seen. If (God forbid) somebody wanted to bring their child in my car, that seat would be their instant ticket for a bus ride. You don't put stuff in my car that blocks my view.
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    There is nothing compact about that car seat. :)
  • Options
    ericheseriches Member Posts: 80

I think the huge bolsters on that oversize child seat are a bigger threat to your child's safety than anything else I have seen. If (God forbid) somebody wanted to bring their child in my car, that seat would be their instant ticket for a bus ride. You don't put stuff in my car that blocks my view.

Eh, that's OK, I prefer to do my own driving anyway. I'll just meet you at the restaurant.
  • Options
    ericheseriches Member Posts: 80
    throwback said:

I think BMW clearly has no intention for this car to be used for carrying car seats. Rear hinged doors and rear facing car seats are always a bad combination.

Perhaps not, but it's such a good setup for LATCH installs in this car. I complained about the suicide doors, yes, but installation of both of my car seats was super quick. So in spite of the inconvenience, I'll probably sign this car out several more times during our test.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    OMG that thing is almost as big as the regular adult seat it's attached to.
  • Options
    stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    When she's old enough for a front facing car seat it's a breeze. My 4 year old climbs into the seat just fine and, with the seats in the I3 much higher than the average sedan, buckling her in is a breeze.