Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Last-Gen GTI Has Better Hatch Gate Design - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Volkswagen

imageLast-Gen GTI Has Better Hatch Gate Design - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Like its predecessor, our long-term 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI has a double handhold on this inside of its rear hatch to make the gate easy to close, but it's not as well-executed as on the old GTI.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    shadrach2shadrach2 Member Posts: 9
    Mmmm, I'm surprised at your "wasn't anywhere near as fun to drive" comment. Currently in my garage is a 2012 Autobahn edition GTI and 2015 SE GTI with Performance Pack. Both DSG. To me they are very close in "fun to drive". The turn-in with the Perf Pack is definitely better but other than that pretty similar. And the seats in the 2012 are MUCH better, something I hadn't anticipated. Would have sprung for autobahn edition for the '15 if I'd known there was going to be this much of a difference.
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    The storage of the hard tonneau in the Mark VII BELOW the cargo floor when needed vs the Mark VI is a big enough improvement in my book...90% of people grab the outside painted surface and close the hatch anyways...

Per shadrach2 - not sure that the handling difference should be that great as Erin notes above...put the PROPER summer tires on any Mark V through Mark VII GTI and it is whole new car (on top of what is a great handling car to begin with). The Toyo Proxes T1s on our 2011 GTI are AWESOME summer donuts...
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    The LT 2010 had the terrible Dunlops on it, and it really queered Edmunds on the MkVI GTI. I now have Pilot Sport AS3s on my 2011 Autobahn, and while not summer tires, they are probably the best AS you can get.

And yes, the sport seats in the Autobahn - MkVI or MkII, are better seats than the standard seats.