Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

These Gauges Are Great at Night - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Volkswagen
imageThese Gauges Are Great at Night - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI has a stunning set of gauges, enjoyed best at night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    Love them - simple, clear and concise. Easy to read and functional with a Teutonic aesthetic.
  • Options
    pg123456789pg123456789 Member Posts: 11
    I've always love Audi/VW gauges. But they have a fatal flaw that's a deal-breaker for me. Fit and finish are superficially good until you realise that the dashboard, particularly behind the gauges rattles as the car gets older. Also, the gauges catch the sun, accumulates and shows dirt and dust (looks cheap, scratched in no time from frequent cleaning) from the downward sloping plastic/glass. Why can't the VAG make all their gauges with upward sloping plastic/glass like every other German brand? The gauges will stay cleaner since it will not catch dust and dirt, keep its upmarket look, and there'll be no reflections from the sun at certain angles. Even the Japanese and Korean moved to upward sloping plastic since the 1990s.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Only use a microfiber cloth to clean the plastic covering the gauges. After 15 years, my gauges still look brand new.
  • Options
    ducky10ducky10 Member Posts: 27
    The gauges of my five year old Mark 6 GTI are clear and the dash does not rattle (nor does the rest of the car ) after over 100 thousand miles of aggressive driving.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I like VW interior design and the fact that they haven't changed the layout of the gauges in years. Don't change what works. But it doesn't hold up well over time. My friend has a 2005 VW and the frequently used switches are worn down to the the white plastic beneath the labels. Some of the pixels in the information display are missing and the backlight of some of the switches are out.
  • Options
    john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    I don't understand why speedometers have gotten so small. I want to be able to tell at a glance whether I am going 65 or 70. I like the big digital display in the older Honda Civic.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

I don't understand why speedometers have gotten so small. I want to be able to tell at a glance whether I am going 65 or 70. I like the big digital display in the older Honda Civic.

The newer Honda Civic still has the big digital display. I like the idea of a redundant digital speedometer, like Porsche does.
  • Options
    boffboff Member Posts: 91
    I'm not a fan of white gauges at night, TBH. BMW's orange is my favourite.
  • Options
    mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35
    Agreed, prefer the BMW gauges. It really is easier on the eyes at night if you drive for multiple hours on end.