Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought/leased a new car online and requested a home delivery due to coronavirus? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

New owner question about engine noise on startup

jim_ajim_a Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Honda
Hello,

On occasion, our new 2015 Accord Hybrid has made clunking sounds upon first startup of the gas engine when cold, (when sitting for half day at minimum or overnight). Sounds like heavy parts, like gears or something similar, are clunking, banging, etc. This has happened maybe 2 or 3 times and settles down within a minute to 90 seconds after a cold start.

Just wondering if any other owners have heard these sounds. These noises occurred in the first 350 miles. I haven't heard it during the last couple of starts, but the sounds were so unusual that I wanted to ask if anyone else has heard something similar.

One possible (but I would think very unlikely) explanation:

About halfway through my first 100+ mile trip, the TPMS (Tire Pressure Maintenance Sensor) gave a low tire pressure warning. I clearly remember hearing the noises after this warning but am not certain about before. Checked tire pressure and it was normal. Took it to the dealer, and the dealer showed the calibration procedure through the touch screen (great that owners can recalibrate). I haven't heard the loud heavy noises since recalibrating, but I don't see how this would be correlated. In fact, I only just thought about this now, while writing the post. Coincidence or correlation?

Comments?

Quick comment about mileage: So far, achieving EPA estimates based on the computer (with 350 miles driven on half a tank). Was not expecting this based on reviews, CR article and so on. Seems the mileage will be very sensitive to driving style. Posted more detailed comments on a couple other threads; no need to duplicate here.

Comments

• jocamojocamo Posts: 1
    Things I do not like about the 2015 Ex are is follows: The suspension is too bumpy, the gear shift lever does not light up an night, the excessive engine noise, the electric items ie clock, radio cannot be used when the engine is off and the small trunk and that I cannot open the windows before entering the car. However I love the interior, the mileage and the style of the EX and would buy another.
  • davbpaddavbpad Posts: 1
    Were you able to get this fixed? I think I have a similar problem, but I would describe mine as more of a tick than a clunk. Happens on start but doesn't last long. 
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    A tick or clunk sounds more like the ABS self test. If so, that's a normal sound.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    He asked that question over a year ago but maybe he's still waiting for an answer. I agree with you on that!